Classical music - what a rip off?

I understand what people are saying, but if a program acknowledges the music, surly that isnt "ripping off". For example, at the end of Jonathan Creek, it says "Title music based on Saint-Seans' Danse Macabre"....at least they are crediting it. If an advert decides to use a piece of classical music in it...so what? They arn't ripping it off, they're just using it! Ripping off is Hanz Zimmer and Gladiator (aka Mars!) Same as you cant say that the world cup theme (90) ripped off Puccini....because it didnt.....they did used Nessun Dorma...not an altered "rip off" and (i cant remember) but i'm sure they credited it and someone else didnt put their name to it!

To sum up, I dont see anything wrong with adverts/programs/companys using classical music to advertise...but to say they are ripping it off is wrong. Simpsons rip stuff off.......but in a funny way :wink:

Just my thoughts

Oops!!! thats what happenes when you "skim-read" through things!!! :D ..apologies poeple!........still......there have been some quality "real" rip off's.......Anyone a fan of James Horner? I heard he was once in court for SELF plagerism!!!

DrCornet

Of course this wasn't meant as a serious thread though it does seem to have gone a bit off the intended topic. I was actually looking for modern "original" works which bear more than a passing resemblance to themes from classical pieces, rather than the original theme just used or jazzed up slightly.
Someone on classic FM recently said that the tune from "Somewhere over the rainbow" is a rip off from Dvorak's "Rusalka's song to the moon". Original is in 3/4 but you'll get the idea.

Dave Payn

How can you say this isn't a serious thread when the likes of Candlelight are regularly claiming great classical works as their own????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

neiltwist

DrCornet said:
. . . Someone on classic FM recently said that the tune from "Somewhere over the rainbow" is a rip off from Dvorak's "Rusalka's song to the moon". Original is in 3/4 but you'll get the idea.

I can see the likenesses, but I think that it's pushing it a bit to say it's a rp off because it sounds similar! (don't know if there was further evidence though)

Dave Euph

ukdrummerboy said:
Oops!!! thats what happenes when you "skim-read" through things!!! :D ..apologies poeple!........still......there have been some quality "real" rip off's.......Anyone a fan of James Horner? I heard he was once in court for SELF plagerism!!!

Aye, I wasn't being serious! ;)

Phill

classical rip offs

I was listening to contemporary composer Arvo Part last night whilst heading off to dream-land and enjoying some great music when all of a sudden, in jumps part of the beautiful soundtrack to the movie Meet Joe Black! I couldn't believe such a fabulous modern composer would play such fantastic movie music in his work.... so similar too... uncanny... but maybe I was already dreaming...

Cheers, :wink:
P.S. Anyone seen/heard/arranged Arvo Part for brass band? May not work so easily, but good music...

andyp

I'm surprised Disney haven't had a go at the multitude of composers that have ripped off "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000", then. I mean, that Elgar, took the Donald Duck bit, split it into 4, made 4 marches out of it......shouldn't be allowed........... :dunno

lynchie

Really the mobile phone companies are the one's who are missing out here... so many of their brilliantly thought out melodies have been entirely ripped off by composers everywhere!

I stayed til the very end of the credits of Harry Potter 3 last night (BOC!) to see if there was an extra bit like there was in the second film. Although disappointed by the lack of extra footage, it was worth it just to hear Monsieur Williams' blatant rip off of Rossini's the Thievish Magpie- an almost exact copy! Maybe he thought nobody would ever listen to it, seeing as ther credits are about 8 minutes long. A tribute perhaps?

Product tMP members are discussing