Classic Record Collection

Seen it before, but Joyce still looks like my mum, and I still want to be more like Devastatin' Dave and less like anyone else.

Dave Payn

Joyce looks like a cross between Dustin Hoffman playing Tootsie and Anne Kirkbride in the role of Deirdre Barlow in her younger days!

Dave Payn

sunny_jimbob said:
Dave Payn said:
Joyce looks like a cross between Dustin Hoffman playing Tootsie and Anne Kirkbride in the role of Deirdre Barlow in her younger days!

OY! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oops! Didn't read the other posts.... ahem! Apologies! :oops:

Dave Payn

yorkie19 said:
*beep*. I only lent him my album collection to tape onto 8-track.

Sam's post has just reminded me of something. In the good old 70s, recordings were often described as being on 'LP, cassette or cartridge'. Now though I grew up (well, I haven't yet, but you know what I mean) through the 70s, (1970s before you ask....), I swear blind I've (a) never seen one of these 'cartridges' nor (b) seen any machines to play them on - if there were indeed separate machines. Did/does anybody own one of these cartridge players/cartridges? Was the sound any good? Or were they they audio equivalent of Betamax?

rutty

Dave Payn said:
yorkie19 said:
*beep*. I only lent him my album collection to tape onto 8-track.

Sam's post has just reminded me of something. In the good old 70s, recordings were often described as being on 'LP, cassette or cartridge'. Now though I grew up (well, I haven't yet, but you know what I mean) through the 70s, (1970s before you ask....), I swear blind I've (a) never seen one of these 'cartridges' nor (b) seen any machines to play them on - if there were indeed separate machines. Did/does anybody own one of these cartridge players/cartridges? Was the sound any good? Or were they they audio equivalent of Betamax?

Same here - never seen one. Must have been an American thing - saw them on Starsky and Hutch and the like ;)

yorkie19

As I understand it, 8-track cartridges never took off outside of the USA. I guess it is a little like Betamax. The recording quality was far higher, but the marketplace was never cracked and so it eventually failed.