Classic Record Collection

Seen it before, but Joyce still looks like my mum, and I still want to be more like Devastatin' Dave and less like anyone else.

Dave Payn

Joyce looks like a cross between Dustin Hoffman playing Tootsie and Anne Kirkbride in the role of Deirdre Barlow in her younger days!

Dave Payn

sunny_jimbob said:
Dave Payn said:
Joyce looks like a cross between Dustin Hoffman playing Tootsie and Anne Kirkbride in the role of Deirdre Barlow in her younger days!

OY! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oops! Didn't read the other posts.... ahem! Apologies! :oops:

Dave Payn

yorkie19 said:
*beep*. I only lent him my album collection to tape onto 8-track.

Sam's post has just reminded me of something. In the good old 70s, recordings were often described as being on 'LP, cassette or cartridge'. Now though I grew up (well, I haven't yet, but you know what I mean) through the 70s, (1970s before you ask....), I swear blind I've (a) never seen one of these 'cartridges' nor (b) seen any machines to play them on - if there were indeed separate machines. Did/does anybody own one of these cartridge players/cartridges? Was the sound any good? Or were they they audio equivalent of Betamax?

rutty

Dave Payn said:
yorkie19 said:
*beep*. I only lent him my album collection to tape onto 8-track.

Sam's post has just reminded me of something. In the good old 70s, recordings were often described as being on 'LP, cassette or cartridge'. Now though I grew up (well, I haven't yet, but you know what I mean) through the 70s, (1970s before you ask....), I swear blind I've (a) never seen one of these 'cartridges' nor (b) seen any machines to play them on - if there were indeed separate machines. Did/does anybody own one of these cartridge players/cartridges? Was the sound any good? Or were they they audio equivalent of Betamax?

Same here - never seen one. Must have been an American thing - saw them on Starsky and Hutch and the like ;)

yorkie19

As I understand it, 8-track cartridges never took off outside of the USA. I guess it is a little like Betamax. The recording quality was far higher, but the marketplace was never cracked and so it eventually failed.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.