cially those playing Euphonium89 and not out.

Albert Pell

My name is Albert and although unable to play with a band due to age and poor eyesight, still play an old Boosey Imperial Solbron ( Circa. 1928) for my own enjoyment.

My Banding has always been with Salvation Army Bands, commencing on Tenor Horn, moving to Euphonium aged 16. It was love at first blow.

My home SA Church was in Aldershot. Our band was always augmented by Salvationist bandsmen serving in the 6 or more military bands in the Aldershot area. These men were a great help to me.......More anon. Thanks for the welcome!

John Brooks

Welcome. I too no longer play at all due to age (somehow and apparently quite suddenly I find myself approaching 75). I know some successfully play well beyond my age but for me I felt it was time. This site isn't as active as it once was but hopefully you'll find something of interest.

Albert Pell

John, Thank you for your welcome. I continue to play for my own amusement and enjoyment having a 1928 Boosey Imperial Solbron which has seen better days. It is rather battered and t he valves are well worn, so compression is not good, but Yamaha's valve oil for Vintage instruments certainly helps. Wishing you all the best ,Albert

julian

John, Thank you for your welcome. I continue to play for my own amusement and enjoyment having a 1928 Boosey Imperial Solbron which has seen better days. It is rather battered and t he valves are well worn, so compression is not good, but Yamaha's valve oil for Vintage instruments certainly helps. Wishing you all the best ,Albert
Hello Albert, good to hear you're still enjoying playing. Why was S.A. music always so small in print? !! I have a number of vintage instruments (cornets, not euphoniums) and although the oil for older valves from Yamaha helps, I've found that Hetman's no.3 is even better. It's not always easy to find in the U.K. but Phil Parkers in London keep it. God bless, Julian

Albert Pell

Hello Julian, thank you for your interest and helpful suggestion which I will follow up. As to the smallness of SA band music, the latest print of the band Hymn Tune Books are even smaller print, as are the Carol Books. Why? Probably to keep the books in a handable size, given there are 958 Tune included.
God bless you. Albert

julian

Hello Julian, thank you for your interest and helpful suggestion which I will follow up. As to the smallness of SA band music, the latest print of the band Hymn Tune Books are even smaller print, as are the Carol Books. Why? Probably to keep the books in a handable size, given there are 958 Tune included.
God bless you. Albert
I know. At lease Unity and Triumph series (I presume General) are now A4 format, particular helpful to learners (who always seem to cope better with larger print music) and people who don't see as well. I can understand why carol books are small for outside, but the hymn books are hard going especially s they are predominantly used indoors and all too often pages have to be enlarged for people to cope with.

Albert Pell

I know. At lease Unity and Triumph series (I presume General) are now A4 format, particular helpful to learners (who always seem to cope better with larger print music) and people who don't see as well. I can understand why carol books are small for outside, but the hymn books are hard going especially s they are predominantly used indoors and all too often pages have to be enlarged for people to cope with.
Thanks again Julian, Albert

2nd tenor

I add my own welcome to TMP, it’s an interesting place and although there is little traffic here now the old posts (via the search function) are a Treasury of useful information.

With regard to leaky old valves I’ve found a light smear of lithium grease on them followed by a little normal oil on top works quite well. Small tins of lithium grease can be bought off of eBay.

julian

I add my own welcome to TMP, it’s an interesting place and although there is little traffic here now the old posts (via the search function) are a Treasury of useful information.

With regard to leaky old valves I’ve found a light smear of lithium grease on them followed by a little normal oil on top works quite well. Small tins of lithium grease can be bought off of eBay.
Let's generate some new traffic!!!!

Albert Pell

Many thanks for your welcome, Second Tenor. Thanks also for your tip in regard to leaky valves. I seem to remember we put lithium grease around car battery terminals in the old days. Sounds interesting. MKind regards . Albert