Christmas Solos for Cornet

strongbow

This has probably been posted before but I can't find the topic anywhere.

:idea: Can anyone suggest cornet solo's with a Christmas theme, apart from Away in A Manger (Flug solo) my mind has gone blank and I can't think of any other ones.

HELP :oops:

beard_4b

o little town of bethlehem - on david daws' new solo cd...

also

American Soloist Album No. 7 (Salvation Army publication) has about 11 Christmas cornet solos in, it comes with piano accompaniment. it costs about £15 - pm 'world of brass' or phone SP&S on 020 7367 6580...

also

Ken Downie's 'What child is this? (greensleeves)'
http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/43505.html

Straightmute

John Rutter's 'Candlelight Carol' (pb. Wright and Round) is lovely - not quite a cornet solo but with a bit of imagination it could become one...

We've just recorded Mark Freeh's excellent arrangement of 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' (Warner) as a cornet solo (it's for any Bb soloist) and its a great little swing number. Sop player may need steroids...but hey...

D

PeterBale

Staff member
There's also a cornet solo version of the Canadian "Huron Carol" in one of the SA American series, and an old air varie solo (its name escapes me at the moment) based on the tune "Did you hear the song which the angels sang . . ."

Of course, if you feel like being really adventurous then Ray Bowes' "Rhapsody for Cornet and Band", written for Terry Camsey, is based around one of Terry's Christmas pieces.

beard_4b

PeterBale said:
There's also a cornet solo version of the Canadian "Huron Carol" in one of the SA American series, and an old air varie solo (its name escapes me at the moment) based on the tune "Did you hear the song which the angels sang . . ."

These are both in American Soloist Album No. 7 with piano accompaniment

strongbow

Straightmute said:
We've just recorded Mark Freeh's excellent arrangement of 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' (Warner) as a cornet solo (it's for any Bb soloist) and its a great little swing number. Sop player may need steroids...but hey...

D

Any idea where I can buy this from?

Dave Payn

Who is He (arr. Richard Phillips) starts off, I believe, as a cornet solo, though it's not specificaly written as a solo item.

Regards

Straightmute

stongbow said:
Straightmute said:

D

Any idea where I can buy this from?

I get most of our music from Banks in York, and they certainly keep most of the Warner catologue. Co-incidentally I'll be over there this afternoon so will check for you and report back...

Greeetings from all at tHB!

D

Dave Payn

Dave Payn said:
Who is He (arr. Richard Phillips) starts off, I believe, as a cornet solo, though it's not specificaly written as a solo item.

Regards

p.s. It's published by Rosehill

Dave Payn

Sellers_Bird said:
A winters tale!! bit cheesy but the grannies like it :lol:

Excellent! I didn't know there was a BB version of that. Do you know who arranged it? I did that last Christmas at an annual pop/rock gig the PRS organises every year. Our sax took the place of the oboe and me and my piccolo trumpet took the place of the flute section! (Sounds much better on flute......)

Regards

PeterBale

Staff member
Dave Payn said:
Sellers_Bird said:
A winters tale!! bit cheesy but the grannies like it :lol:

Excellent! I didn't know there was a BB version of that. Do you know who arranged it?

See posting earlier by flashbarry - even tells you who the publisher is :shock:

Seedhouse

I think there's an "O Holy Night" arrangement somewhere that should be quite nice (its for Bb instruments I think).
I think my band might be getting it, so i'll ask for you if you'd like.