Christmas Programmes

What should go into a christmas concert?

• Just a normal programme. They get plenty of christmas music on the radio

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JessopSmythe

As some of you may have noticed, I hate playing christmas carols, especially naff arrangements. Just wondered what the general opinion is on how a concert programme should be made up.

MattB

I am planning to have a varied selection this year, mainly Chrimbo stuff but with a few solos thrown in, like Solitaire, the odd traditional piece like Irish Blessing, and of course a big finisher, Lord of the Dance!

Straightmute

Music is for life, not just for Christmas. Our concert in the Conference Centre this year will be a mixture, some Christmas music but also something for the santaphobes like myself.

So there are some new Christmas arrangments, solos and a few band pieces, as much for the audience as for the band.

Ending with The Gael this year I think...

D

Dave Payn

Yup, just the odd Christmas number in programmes for both Fulham (if I remember right) and Croydon. I'm not anti Christmas music at all, but wall-to-wall from start to finish usually means I end up bored 'sans merde' by the end of the concert!

Di

Sorry, me absolutely loves it. I love the cheesy christmas selections and the pop christmas songs. And yea, why not, throw in a few pieces of "ordinary" music as well. I think we could hold a brilliant playing marathon on Christmas and Boxing Day, weeks of nightly carol playing for hours and hours and many christmas concerts, lungs and lips would never be better prepared. :lol: :lol: I'm sure some of my best playing is around Christmas time. :p (Maybe thats why I like it so much)! :roll:

Put on a concert in December and your audience will expect to hear Christmas music.
Let the band have an unhappy couple of weeks during this period and keep your audience happy!
(personally i like playing naff christmas music but thats beside the point).
A few 'real' pieces in the programme is a good idea though, breaks the monotony of 'cheesiness' which stops players from getting too suicidal....

I think it's possible to play music, which isn't christmas music, to a christmas concert. We're i.e. going to play "A Time for Peace" which isn't christmas music, and still it's a bit fun to play, and sweet to listen at. What about "Gaudete" by Kevin Norbury. Is that a christmas song? It's on the new YBS christmas cd, and last year we also played it at a christmas concert. But I cannot see the christmas in it :wink:, but it's very funny to play!
But I agree, playing christmas carols is so so boring..... :(

Vickitorious

You've got to play all of the xmas music :p :D It's the only time of year that you hear it and everybody likes a sing along. We don't play carols out of the books a lot! We play the schneewalzer??(sp) thing and it's brill cus it always goes down well with the audience, they join in with the sways and ups and downs...... Its great!!!! :D :p Yay! I can't wait 'till our first xmas job!!

P.S- It means I can get out my flashing santa hat and whistling reindeer antlers! :D (I really don't act my age!)

Big Fella

I am one of the people, who does not enjoy playing the Xmas Cheese Pieces that we have to get out of the crumpled library bag once a year..
Saying that, I honestly do believe that if a band does a concert in December, and does not play some Xmas Cheese then your audience would not be very happy..
Things are begining to get slightly better, over the past 7/8 years, there have been a few half reasonable pieces available...

PeterBale

Staff member
Tenor-Steffen-DK said:
. What about "Gaudete" by Kevin Norbury. Is that a christmas song? It's on the new YBS christmas cd, and last year we also played it at a christmas concert. But I cannot see the christmas in it

Kevin Norbury's arrangement of "Gaudete" actually includes three old carols. "Gaudete" itself is latin for "Rejoice" and the words go on to tell how Jesus has been born of the Virgin Mary. He also includes the tune of the "Coventry carol" - "Lulla, lullay, thou little tiny child" - and "Unto us a boy is born".

lynchie

PeterBale said:
Kevin Norbury's arrangement of "Gaudete" actually includes three old carols. "Gaudete" itself is latin for "Rejoice" and the words go on to tell how Jesus has been born of the Virgin Mary.

As I remember it from playing with a shockingly poor choir the chorus goes...

Gaudete, Gaudete
Christus es natus
Ex Maria Virgine
Gaudete

or
Rejoice, Rejoice
Christ is born
Of Mary the Virgin
Rejoice

Possibly not a world beater for lyricism, but definitely christmassy!

Keppler

Staff member
I was sure there was a "Dominus" in there somewhere...

oh well.. probably me just making up random words again. (in Latin) I'm prone to do that.

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem.

lynchie

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I ask myself this every day... :?

Dave Payn

lynchie said:
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

So do I, and I have to say, I AM a fan of Marmite. :wink:

Keppler

Staff member
lynchie said:

You have too much time - let's just say quite a lot and be done with it..

super_sop

Supporting Member
and back on topic, i love christmas, im just a big kid ay heart.

love playin it, love singin it, love takni part in it.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Accidental

Supporting Member
given that I'm pants at different languages and have absolutley no idea what the rest of you are going on about, I'm going to be reeeeelly boring and talk about Christmas programmes - sorry!!!

I HATE cheesy Christmas arrangements and find it hard to believe that any self respecting audience is going to think they got their money's worth when every cheese-selection seems to rehash the same 5 or six tunes every time. I think the only pieces I don't hate playing are Gaudete and the Sparke or Freeh arr. of White Christmas, but there must be some other decent stuff out there.....