Christmas Music Suggestions Please

wez.k

In the bleak mid-winter

I have the music and would be happy to do an arrangement for you...

However, I have just discovered that Harold Darke only died in 1976. This means the music is not yet in the public domain and therefore there would be copyright issues to be resolved before an arrangement could be made.

toby hobson said:
yes its one of my faves as well, brings a tear to the eye of the listener, especially when they sing up the extra 4th towards the end of the last last verse. I don't know how i would go about finding a good piano accomp part to have a look at (then probably give to someone who knows how to do it!!!) all i have ever managed to find is the vocal part with a very basic accompaniment and i just don't have the skills to expand it.

Last edited:

dyl

toby hobson said:
yes its one of my faves as well, brings a tear to the eye of the listener, especially when they sing up the extra 4th towards the end of the last last verse. I don't know how i would go about finding a good piano accomp part to have a look at (then probably give to someone who knows how to do it!!!) all i have ever managed to find is the vocal part with a very basic accompaniment and i just don't have the skills to expand it.

There is an arrangement of it albeit with a vocal solo and choir on YBS' Christmas CD 'Simple Gifts'

toby hobson

wez.k said:
I have the music and would be happy to do an arrangement for you...

However, I have just discovered that Harold Darke only died in 1976. This means the music is not yet in the public domain and therefore there would be copyright issues to be resolved before an arrangement could be made.
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh Our old friend Mr Copyright rears his ugly head again!!!! He sure gets around that fella lol I was thinking the tune deserved a bit of a Peter Graham type thing done to it, like his fantastic "Away in a manger" flugel solo I'm sure it would be great

wez.k

Christmas Solo

Indeed.

Check out my cornet solo 'Christmas Eve'

www.falnamusic.com/Samples/ChristmasEve.mp3

toby hobson said:
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh Our old friend Mr Copyright rears his ugly head again!!!! He sure gets around that fella lol I was thinking the tune deserved a bit of a Peter Graham type thing done to it, like his fantastic "Away in a manger" flugel solo I'm sure it would be great

johnmartin

Getting the folders sorted out for the Christmas programme tonight and I suspect I am missing a percussion part or two fro the James Wood arrangement of Leroy Andersons Christmas Festival. Can anyone confirm how many percussion parts there should be.

WorldofBrass.com

Prima Vista Musikk have just released two new pieces for Christmas.

Paul Lovatt-Cooper wrote A Christmas Finalehttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/29727.html for Black Dyke Band who recorded it on their latest CD The Black Dyke Christmas Carolhttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24782.html.

Rodney Newton made and arrangement of the Holst In the Bleak Midwinterhttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/29728.html for tenor horn solo and brass band which Own Farr recorded on The Wonder of Christmashttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24585.html.

gerry

Supporting Member
Christmas Music suggestions

New in our catalogue this year:

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year - arr. Rieks van der Velde(feature for tenor horns)
The Twelve Days of Christmas - arr. Richard Grantham
Santa Baby - arr. Rieks van der Velde(as performed by Kylie Minogue), solo for muted cornet

See our website for these plus the previous published items:

www.lake-music.com

Gerry

Don't know if its been mentioned previously but the Salvation Army Christmas Book, can't remember what its called but its got a green cover, is a good value buy. Approx 50 Christmas pieces from Marches to simple settings of well known tunes to some a bit more interesting.Some of its a bit naff but for value for money great.

I'm not sure of the arranger but we use areasonable arrangement of Joy to the World called Joy. Its takes the piece into a blues brothers sort of setting. Very effective and the punters seem to like it !

McChambo

Who is he? (Benjamin Hanby arr. Richard Phillips) - a really nice slow melody.

The Spirit of Christmas (Peter Graham) - Based on A Sussex Carol, in the style of some other Peter Graham pieces (eg. Shine as the Light).

DaveR

We Three Kings, arranged Nigel Horne and available from Aldbrickham Music. It's a low brass trio (with tricky solo parts) and straightforward band accomp.

Gavin

Supporting Member
Christmas Music Sale!!

Cheers Iain!

We have a "Christmas Section" on our website; just follow the links from the homepage (www.jagrins.com)

Also, we have now launched an online credit card payment scheme.

To celebrate the launch of payment by any credit/debit card directly on our site through the hosting of Pay Pal, we are pleased to announce a Christmas Music Sale!!

Use our new method of payment for our music/books and receive an incredible discount on all our Christmas Music.

ENJOY!!

Gavin Pritchard
JAGRINS Music Publications

Martyn_Thomas

My pre-runner to 'Comfort and Joy' was 'Cool Yule'. This contemporary Big Band style arrangement of 'Good King Wenceslas' was written for Portsmouth Citadel Band in 1989 - it actually incorporates a 'RAP' if the Bandmaster has the bottle!! Since then the ISB and NYSB of the Salvation Army, amongst others have featured this piece. I intend to re-score and elongate this number in the new year.
Please remind me to do this because I have a lot on my plate and my memory is terrible!

Kindest regards,

Martyn

Martyn_Thomas

'Cool Yule' Completed

I am very pleased to report that the re-scored version of 'Cool Yule' has been recorded by BB De Waldsang and the sheet music published by Lake Music Publications. Available from 1st August 2007.
www.lake-music.com
Those of you who like my arrangement of 'Comfort and Joy' should like this one!
Kindest regards

:cool:

alanl58

This could be just what we are looking for, but there is no mention of the actual carols in the piece, although it suggests some that Philip "managed to find a varied selection of English melodies to arrange ".

Nor is it listed on the de Haske web site for price and ordering information...

But never-the-less we could well do with something of this length for Band and Choir once a bit more detail is known...

Alanl58
Bude Metric Brass

Anglo Music Press

Hi Alan,

The carols are:-

SUSSEX CAROL
IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER
GOD REST YOU MERRY, GENTLEMEN
ONCE IN ROYAL DAVID'S CITY
I SAW THREE SHIPS
O COME, ALL YE FAITHFUL

Must say I don't yet know how much it is (or why it's not on the De Haske site) but you could give them a call on 01536 260981.

It's brand new so may not be over from Holland yet. But they should be able to give you a price.

Product tMP members are discussing