Christmas brass CDs

Dave Payn

As it's getting, you know....sort of near to...erm... THAT time (that's right, you can tell; the Easter eggs are in stock!) I thought I'd share with you my recommended Chrimbo CDs involving brass instruments in one way or another: (OK so it's only early November. So? Most of these CDs were recorded in the middle of summer!)

In no particular order of merit.

Christmas With London Brass: (Teldec)

Still available over the Internet. Worth the purchase money for their performance of Winter from Vivaldi's Four Seasons alone, and a very clever arrangement of Silent Night a la Erik Satie.

Christmas Fanfare: Prince of Wales Brass (ASV)

Basically the CBSO brass section, who named themselves after a pub (stereotypes, huh?), excellent arrangements and playing throughout and a nice variety of festive tunes on show.

Carols From Kings (HMV)

Compilation of 1960s-1970s recordings by the Kings College Cambridge Choir under Sir David Willcocks. Choir at their peak (I still don't think they've been matched since) and the last two tracks involve the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble in resplendent form in the famous Willcocks fanfares and descants to O Come All Ye Faithful and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

Christmas Music from St Pauls (Guild)

A re-release of a 1985 CD involing St Paul's Cathedral Choir and The English Brass Ensemble in a mixture of Advent and Christmas anthems and Carols. Beautifully sung and played, though getting used to the long echo of St Paul's may take some getting used to!

Christmas Fantasy (Chandos)

Black Dyke Mills (as was) and Huddersfield Choral Society team up for festive fun and frolics. To my mind, still the best brass band Christmas recording out there (however, see my request for 'White Christmas' by Grimethorpe below)

ONE TO AVOID?

Noel (Priory) with the Bach Choir and Wallace Collection. It's not a case of bad playing or singing but for the most part it seems that the brass and the organ are playing at different pitches. Painfully obvious at times.

I haven't heard White Christmas (Grimethorpe) on the Chandos label. Any good?

Then again, if this is all too cheesy for you to bear, go have a humbug! :wink: :lol:

Regards

PeterBale

Staff member
Grimethorpe's "White Christmas" is first class - excellent playing and a good choice of repertoire, especially for a Christmas cd. I was lucky and picked up a couple of copies very cheap on a market stall a year or so back, but Chandos have now reduced the price to about £4.99. Some stockists are still selling it at the full price - presumably old stock - but if it is easier it can be ordered direct from Chandos:

http://www.chandos.net/searchres.asp?Action=Label&LabelID=4&Last=0&Tot=0&counter=0

Maestro

Canadian Brass have a couple of rather good christmas cds. One of them has a rather brilliant (well I think so anyway) arrangement of 12 Days of Christmas. Fodens have also got an excellent Christmas cd.
Thoroughly agree with you about Grimethorpe's White Christmas Peter

flashbarry

Hi,

Wonder if you can help me. The Ransome Band have recently done a Christmas CD and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on a copy as there are a few of my pieces on it. We have sent emails to the band but no (Christmas) Joy!!!!

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Maestro

There was a christmas cd by the ISB and ISS called Joy to the world. Anyone know where I can get it on Cd?
I can't seem to find it registered/advertised anywhere.

Dave Payn

flashbarry said:
Hi,

Wonder if you can help me. The Ransome Band have recently done a Christmas CD and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on a copy as there are a few of my pieces on it. We have sent emails to the band but no (Christmas) Joy!!!!

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Darrol

Having checked the MCPS discography, it appears that it's what is known as a 'limited availability product', i.e not for general sale. I can only suggest continuing to try mailing the band! Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Regards

PeterBale

Staff member
Re the Ransome's cd, I am sure I have seen it advertised somewhere, but I can't track it down. I've a feeling it is on sale via one of the supermarkets (possibly Tescos) but I may be wrong.

Dave Payn

PeterBale said:
Re the Ransome's cd, I am sure I have seen it advertised somewhere, but I can't track it down. I've a feeling it is on sale via one of the supermarkets (possibly Tescos) but I may be wrong.

It'll be good if it is available. I'd certainly llike to get it, having seen the track listing!

Dave Payn

flashbarry said:
Hi Dave,

Do you know what the full listing is?

Cheers

Sort of. For some reason, your Festive Variations on Adeste Fidelis is listed twice! Here is the list as it appears on our database (with both Adeste Fidelises!)

JINGLE BELLS
PIERPONT/ROBERT HARTLEY

A CHRISTMAS OVERTURE
COLERIDGE TAYLOR/DAVID PLATT

THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM
ADAMS/WEATHERLY/MIKE HOPKINSON

CAROL OF THE BELLS
LEONTOVITCH/DARROL BARRY

ANGELS FROM THE REALMS OF GLORY
TRAD/DARROL BARRY

O HOLY NIGHT
ADAM/KEITH WILKINSON

BASQUE NOEL
ROB COLLINSON

FESTIVE VARIATIONS ON ADESTE FIDELES
DARROL BARRY

FESTIVE VARIATIONS ON ADESTE FIDELES
DARROL BARRY

DIES NATALIS
TRAD/JOHN GOLLAND

COVENTRY CAROL
ROB COLLINSON

MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING
CARPENTER/POOLER/DARROL BARRY

REINDEER EXPRESS
RAYMOND SACKS

A CHRISTMAS LULLABY
RISELEY

THE BELLS OF OLD KIRKBRADON
DEREK BROADBENT

CHRISTMAS FAYRE
ROB COLLINSON

Okiedokie of Oz

Back when I was with Cap Silver, one of the last projects I did there was the recording of their 2nd CD "An Australian Christmas". I do not believe the CD is actually open on the market, but if you contact the band with the details below, I am sure someone will help you.

Capricornia Silver Band in Rockhampton, Qld, AUSTRALIA
Marc Barnbaum
Publicity and Media
Central Queensland University
Phone (I think the international code for OZ is +61) 07 4923 2505

email
publicrelations@cqu.edu.au
or
m.barnbaum@cqu..edu.au

.........that's if you're interested......

WorldofBrass.com

Maestro said:
There was a christmas cd by the ISB and ISS called Joy to the world. Anyone know where I can get it on Cd?
I can't seem to find it registered/advertised anywhere.

Kevin, the only CD we have listed by that title is from Norwich Citadel Band. I'm not aware of a recording of the same name by the ISB & ISS in the last 10 years.
We have some of the Norwich CD's in stock but it is not currently on the World of Brass website. If you'd like a copy perhaps you could send me a PM.

WorldofBrass.com

flashbarry said:
Hi,
Hope you can help.
Thanks

We received a copy of this CD and were asked to include it in our Autumn catalogue. Unfortunately it was too late for inclusion. I understand that it was a private recording by a company that Chris Jeans has a connection with. I'm sure Chris would be able to help.

Seedhouse

There's a new CD David Childs has done that i'm interested in getting too, think i'll be getting that one for Christmas :D

drummerboy

I've got a copy of a cd the ISB did years ago ('74 I think), but I believe it was (re)realised quite recently. It's got mainly carol arrangents on (quite a few by Steadman-Allen!). It's quite good, but I don't know how available that is now.

PeterBale

Staff member
drummerboy said:
I've got a copy of a cd the ISB did years ago ('74 I think), but I believe it was (re)realised quite recently. It's got mainly carol arrangents on (quite a few by Steadman-Allen!). It's quite good, but I don't know how available that is now.

Originally issued as "Christmas Festival in Brass", it does indeed have some very fine arrangements on it. It has appeared in at least two re-incarnations at budget price over the past few years and is well worth loking out for. Amongst my favourite tracks are Bruce Broughton's "The Newborn Babe" and "I saw three ships"(? Brian Bowen, I think).

The cd "Joy to the World" referred to previously dates from 1993, and featured the ISB and ISS,with Croydon Singing Company, if I remember correctly, singing songs specially written for them by Joy Webb. I believe it came out on the WORD label, but i doubt if any copies are still likely to be around in the shops.

Maestro

PeterBale said:
[
The cd "Joy to the World" referred to previously dates from 1993, and featured the ISB and ISS,with Croydon Singing Company, if I remember correctly, singing songs specially written for them by Joy Webb. I believe it came out on the WORD label, but i doubt if any copies are still likely to be around in the shops.

Bingo!...That's the one. Yet again Mr Bale, aka the oracle, has done it yet again. The only thing now is to ask all Tmpers, if they have a copy that I could 'borrow' please!

Brian Bowen

PeterBale said:
Originally issued as "Christmas Festival in Brass", it does indeed have some very fine arrangements on it. It has appeared in at least two re-incarnations at budget price over the past few years and is well worth loking out for. Amongst my favourite tracks are Bruce Broughton's "The Newborn Babe" and "I saw three ships"(? Brian Bowen, I think).

In answer to your question, Peter, you're correct. I also played Flugel on that recording.