CHARGING 4 BANDSPERSONEL AT BUTLINS MINEWORKERS 2003

Superstars

Skegness Contest

Why should people have to pay £12, including bandsmen when we wont have time to listen to all the 23 bands that day. For our band we have only just started to recover from Dundee let alone forking out for more money.

Bones

I can see the problem for bands that are just doing the day. It largely depends upon whether you are staying over or not. The sums having been done by Satchmo Shaz.

Also I echo the sentiments of Hornted, and as my wife is contest secretary for our Band, we were notified at the time we entered, not afterwards. So there were no surprises about this charge, it certainly is not a stealth charge.

£12 is steep, no 2 ways about it. But Heritage, like Sentiment has no place in the commercial world. Butlins has to show to their shareholders/Board of directors, that at every available opportunity they have the ability to charge and make money. Sadly that is what they are in business for, not to support Band Contests.

This time last year, the contest was dead. Now with some minor (miner, excuse the pun!) changes and a lot of effort by Steve Walker and Stan Lippeatt it is revitalised. I am sure that after the weekend, then it is the time to take stock and see how it can be improved, altered for the benefit of all.

As for Bandsmen paying. Well it may sound harsh, but banding is a hobby, and hobbies cost money. And if you were a golfer, then £12 isn't much for a round of golf. I appreciate there are exceptions to this as there are in everything.

I don't have a personal axe to grind on this one. I'm staying on the camp, as my section is playing both days, so I am not paying the £12 quid. All of our band are paying their own accomodation. I don't work for Butlins, nor am I related to Steve Walker (entertainments organiser at Butlins who has organised the contst along with Stan Lippeatt) just in case anyone thinks so.

I'm just a bandsman who thinks that it's not unreasonable to pay to do my hobby.

Don't wish to stir the hornet's nest but equally don't wish to see a contest go down the tubes.

Cheers

Rich

PS My opinion only for what it is worth.

Ej

charging

The reasoning behind the £12 i am sure is to make people stay for the weekend. As it has been pointed out the top shallet is £90 for the 2nights /4 people is £22. It may only be the cost of 2 day passes but when all your band want to do is play and have a drink and go home it's not reasonable. We are all only about an hour away and would much rather go home than stay at Butlin's. (no offence Butlins). Its all money making on there part, they dont give to monkeys about brass band hertitage and all that. Money, Money, Money. If the whole section withdrew and they were looking at loosing thousands something would be done right away.

Bones

Re: charging

Ej said:
The reasoning behind the £12 i am sure is to make people stay for the weekend. As it has been pointed out the top shallet is £90 for the 2nights /4 people is £22. It may only be the cost of 2 day passes but when all your band want to do is play and have a drink and go home it's not reasonable. We are all only about an hour away and would much rather go home than stay at Butlin's. (no offence Butlins). Its all money making on there part, they dont give to monkeys about brass band hertitage and all that. Money, Money, Money. If the whole section withdrew and they were looking at loosing thousands something would be done right away.

Agreed, if you are so close to home why stay, therefore the cost is magnified, and that was a consideration that you take into account at the point of entering the contest or not if fiscally it does not stack up. But on your second part about the money, why should they "give a monkeys" about our heritage. We are not their problem at the end of the day. They've thrown a lifeline to maintain a contest, but they have to see the return on their investment. After all it was a Mineworkers contest and CISWO decided to back out, so so much for the heritage there. Butlins are a profit making orgainsation and are looking at an opportunity to make money. If we pulled out as you suggest, then no other commercial organisation would ever look at Brass Banding ever again, and then sponsorship across the board would begin to cease. Companies would look at Brass Banding as a money drain on their resources and back out. We have to start helping ourselves before we can expect anyone else to. Banding in it current form is going to alter over the next couple of decades anyway so we have to accept any support that is offered.

I think this discussion will never be won by any side, as their are too many variable arguments. Each Band has a opinion in its own right. And all opinions are valid.

Suggesting boycotting contests until we get the Utopia Brass Band contest, just isn't going to work, cos after a period of time Businesses will pull out. Spennymoor is a prime example. Brass Bands are just not sexy enough to pull in the crowds, so when a Business stumps up £20000 plus in prize money, it has to be sure it is getting a return. Sadly that cost has to be borne by the people involved, and that is us. We are the biggest fans of this movement, and it is up to us to maintain it for as long as we can. And if that mean paying £12 then it is a small amount in comparison to any other time consuming hobby, ie Golf for example.

I don't see any satisfactory conclusion to this discusssion. I hope the weekend is a success for all bands that compete in any section.

Cheers All

Rich

Superstars

The skegness contest

I think that they should for at least next year if it goes ahead to make it a £5,becasue then people would not mind paying that ontop of there beer money or whatever. I'll just say that £12 IS STEAP. It will kill the bands off if every contest charge this much to enter. :evil:

Seedhouse

Hmm, think i'll be keeping out of this. Don't know that much about contest organising as i'm only 16. Good luck to all bands anyway.

ploughboy

Having just got off the golf course for an very well spent £10, and i won (5 & 3). I have read all the points raised, I Still feel that £12 is too steep, if not altogether called for. To me it amounts to blackmail to stay on the facility, I see the favourable price comparison if you are staying over, but if you want to travel for the day (as bands must have done to blackpool) the price is ridiculus (however thats spelt).

Hornwhat

Butlins

Isnt it sad that we have to bicker amongst each other regarding the price of Butlins.

I wholeheartedly congratulate NEMBBA, Stan Lippeatt and Steve Walker for their hard work put into keeping this contest going. If it wasnt for them this contest would have died.

I have gone to Blackpool for 25 years and am pleased that the mineworkers contest is being kept alive. I HAVENT SEEN MUCH EFFORT FROM OTHER ASSOCIATIONS TO KEEP THE CONTEST GOING.

I and the band I play with are looking forward to a truly fantastic weekend, playing, drinking and meeting friends that we have met over the years of brass banding. Yes most of our players are staying for the weekend and some are going for the day but that is the individuals choice. We enjoy a good social side of banding as well as the serious side of contesting.

I support the contest and the organisers 100%.

Well done for keeping it alive. :wink: :wink: :guiness

Baldeagle

Re: Butlins

Hornwhat said:
Isnt it sad that we have to bicker amongst each other regarding the price of Butlins.

I wholeheartedly congratulate NEMBBA, Stan Lippeatt and Steve Walker for their hard work put into keeping this contest going. If it wasnt for them this contest would have died.

I have gone to Blackpool for 25 years and am pleased that the mineworkers contest is being kept alive. I HAVENT SEEN MUCH EFFORT FROM OTHER ASSOCIATIONS TO KEEP THE CONTEST GOING.

I and the band I play with are looking forward to a truly fantastic weekend, playing, drinking and meeting friends that we have met over the years of brass banding. Yes most of our players are staying for the weekend and some are going for the day but that is the individuals choice. We enjoy a good social side of banding as well as the serious side of contesting.

I support the contest and the organisers 100%.

Well done for keeping it alive. :wink: :wink: :guiness

If other associations do not have any mine workers bands why should they help out? That weekend is also the WMBBA contest at Lemington.We have been barred from the Skegness because we have no mineworkers history, but we will be at the WMBBA contest. PS Bones how much did it cost Carlton Main to enter Pontins for 1 day?

Bones

Baldeagle said:
If other associations do not have any mine workers bands why should they help out? That weekend is also the WMBBA contest at Lemington.We have been barred from the Skegness because we have no mineworkers history, but we will be at the WMBBA contest. PS Bones how much did it cost Carlton Main to enter Pontins for 1 day?

No idea Ray, will ask the Contest Secretary/Horn/Wife when I get home tonight. However, you still have to factor in a hotel cost for the Saturday night, cos there is no chance we could have done the drive in one day comfortably. Especially as we had a rehearsal on Sunday morning at 815 in Chester.

Easy way to get Mineworkers history, is to find a local Miners Welfare and all join at a 50p per year rate. All of a sudden you are a Mine Workers affiliated band.

The rules used to be, only miners. Then at least 50% miners and the rest family members. Then 50% associated with the mining industry. Now it seems to be if you have walked past a lump of coal you can be in a mineworkers band. A heritage which quite sadly can no longer be supported in current climes. I am fortunate in that I come from a mining family so I suppose I have a claim at some point. Not so my Home Counties wife who thinks solid fuel is hard water. :lol:

jackyboy

12 quid ?? you have got to be joking. Is this just to cover the costs of all the freebie chalets and meals for the co-opted officials ? As for quality entertainment i'm sure bandspeople will flock in their thousands to see orvill the duck! Quack quack. Its a big NO to your twelve note wonder.
Whatever next ....... Band tax ???

davidsait

Bones said:
Now it seems to be if you have walked past a lump of coal you can be in a mineworkers band.

Ah right. So all we need to do is dig up a lump of coal from under the University of Warwick campus, and we can enter as the University of Warwick Colliery Band?

:)

Hornwhat

I can remember a few years ago Rhodian Brass became members of the Chesterfield Welfare to enable them to compete at Blackpool. I cant see that the rules have changed much since then.

And yes I agree that not all associations are connected with mining bands, and eventually I suppose the contest cannot always be restricted to mining bands things will have to change.

But our association did make the effort to keep the contest going, and it is not the association charging the twelve quid it is Butlins. If anyone has been to Butlins before they always charge a visitors day pass.

We are going to Wigston contest the week before of which it is costing 25quid for a rehearsal room, Butlins are charging 12 quid, At Pontins you have to go off camp for a rehearsal room at Butlins the rehearsal rooms are on camp.

It doesnt matter where a contest is being held there is always groans and moans. All we can do is wait and see how the contest runs.

I personally have been to Butlins for a weekend break and would rather stay at Butlins than Pontins any time. The chalets are 5* compered to Pontins, they are cleaner, warmer, the staff are friendlier, the food is better and of course the beer is cheaper.

Product tMP members are discussing