Challenging Test Piece for good 3rd Section Band wanted.

Straightmute

I think Phil Wilby's Partita has already been mentioned, but a great piece for this section. Would also suggest Gregson's Variations on Laudate Dominum and Darrol Barry's Salford Sinfonietta, both of which were greatly enjoyed by the bands I took, alongside Philip Sparkes Music for a Festival , Celtic Suite and Triptych.

D

Aidan

along the lines of connotations, you might want to try a little ditty called Apocalypse.

Vickitorious

Why don't you have a go at Kaleidoscope?! :D There was a 3rd section band play it at a local contest not long ago, I didn't hear them but I've been told that they handled it quite well! :D

drummerboy

Nadia said:
along the lines of connotations, you might want to try a little ditty called Apocalypse.

Indeed, if you've got a load of amazing players, by all means try Connotations, Resurgam or Royal Parks (Apocalypse might be a bit easy)! :D :p

I'd personally go for the Wilby Partita, or Variations on Laudate Dominum. Both been mentioned before, but great pieces.

euphoria

I agree with those that think that Connotations is stretching it a bit too far for even the best 3rd section bands (you don't want to have strech marks all over the band - would you? :D )

Someone called Oceans cheesy but left Oregon unremarked???
Surely Oregon is more suited for a concert for a young audience than for a contest.

I would vote for Celtic Suite by Sparke or Essay by Gregson.

Good luck

A piece that is a great one to play and is a good test for 2nd section bands is Capriccio by Kenneth Downie.

Played it in the 2nd section finals in 1998 at Harrogate and came 3rd.

Is a great piece.

It will certainly give most bands a stretching!

Straightmute

dave jake said:
Three Saints is a must, Makes me cry [ or is that when my bands played it]can t remember the composer :( :( :(

Another one from Goff.

Quite a lot of crying gone on lately on tMP. Anyone need to talk?

D

eckyboy

think it was mentioned earlier but the band would enjoy Plantagenates
Great cornet part,euph and horn-in fact Great Piece-my personal fave :D
It may be a wee bit tricky for 3rd section but great fun to play-turn a few heads if you pulled it off

Aidan

euphoria said:
Someone called Oceans cheesy but left Oregon unremarked???
Surely Oregon is more suited for a concert for a young audience than for a contest.
That would be me :p I didnt realise that it was the same oregon as i'd played with my old school wind band!!!! if it is, then it is extreme cheddar!!!!!!!!

Naomi McFadyen

I love Oceans... it's a great piece...
Cherchibe is a good'n too... (I've spelt it wrong... havent I!?)
can't go wrong with Goff's pieces imo...

:)

andywooler

Supporting Member
Being the conductor of a 3rd section band, this is something that's constantly on my mind too - how to stretch the band beyond 3rd section without going too far!
Our recent selections have included:

Suite Gothique
Music for a Festival
Dimensions
Triumphant Rhapsody
Aeronauts
I would add Oceans too (not yet done that) and have considered Royal Parks for when we play up a section.