Challenging Test Piece for good 3rd Section Band wanted.

Our band is entering an own choice contest in May and need a piece to start work on immediately after the areas. :oops:

The band is very strong at the moment and has won it's last two competitions. Everyone is expecting to do well at the areas and the band is easily good enough to play and be successful in the 2nd section. :D

We're after a piece which will stretch the band but not prove a step too far after the stress of the areas. :shock:

If anyone has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear from you. :wink:

johnflugel

Why not 'Vicayza' by Vinter? I gather one or two 3rd sections bands are having a crack at that :wink:

If it were me, I would plumb for Peter Grahams 'Shines as the Light', Eric Balls 'The Old Wells' or Calverts 'Canadian Folk Song Suite'.

John

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
There are quite a few I can think of:

I forget the composers name on this one sorry but Firestorm is a cracker of a piece. Then there's EB's arrangement of Suite Gothique, the fantastic Music for a Festival or the even better Triptych (which has a fantastic movement called Variation on one note, and is simply quite stunning music), or even another piece who I forget who the composer is called Oregon (was it Jaan de Haan??).

Try looking in your library for these... they are all great modern sounding pieces that will stretch a good 3rd section band.

Good luck.

John

Naomi McFadyen

Suite for Brass is a nice piece... 5 movements... all different styles... nice variety... when I was in a 3rd section band we played it at an own choice contest and won the section :D

stephen_clapton

got to agree with vizcaya, lovely piece! :shock: you could always go for rhapsody in brass (goffin), it will certainly keep the solo cornets busy! we went to folkestone contest as well and played toccata and chorale by stephen bulla. it doesnt seem much to look at, but its not all that easy! best of luck! :)

IYOUNG

Played through Calverts Canadian Folk Song Suite last week at rehearsal, hadn't come across it before on 25+ years of playing, thoroughly reccomend it. Nice work for baritone and flugel at the start of movement 3. :tup

Ian

Toby said:
Oceans by Goff Richards, pure class.

i can't agree more!!!!, it's a great peice of music!!

and i won't mind playing that one (once i get the part right for visacaya!!)

more votes for this piece, and it might mean i get to play it!!

(in the same band as toppy the tenor)

McEuphie

Hi

If you're looking ahead to the 2nd section why not stretch a bit with the following:

Suite Gothique
Plantageanets
Entertainments
Resurgam
Connotations

Good luck.

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

We are playing Vizcaya in the areas in March and don't want to play it again in May!! :evil:

Oceans is a personal favourite of mine and I'm gunning for that at the moment but I was interested in the newer suggestions. Especially the Canadian Folk Song Suite and Oregon. May have to do some gentle persuading.

Thanks again. :D

Aidan

Toby said:
Oceans by Goff Richards, pure class.
haha :D and absolute cheese ;)
especially the horn countermelody in the calypso bit which i wet myself laughing everytime we play it :D

ploughboy

Toby's call is a good one, I like Hollywood (can't remember composer, anyone please?)

Royal Parks
Partita - Philip Wilby.

There's all sorts out there, look back over 2nd/1st section area piece's and find something, Just thought of another!! Areonaughts Goff Richards!!

PeterBale

Staff member
ploughboy said:
Toby's call is a good one, I like Hollywood (can't remember composer, anyone please?)

Royal Parks
Partita - Philip Wilby.

There's all sorts out there, look back over 2nd/1st section area piece's and find something, Just thought of another!! Areonaughts Goff Richards!!

You've got it already :!: :wink: :lol:

toppy the tenor said:
Many thanks for all your suggestions.

We are playing Vizcaya in the areas in March and don't want to play it again in May!! :evil:

Oceans is a personal favourite of mine and I'm gunning for that at the moment but I was interested in the newer suggestions. Especially the Canadian Folk Song Suite and Oregon. May have to do some gentle persuading.

Thanks again. :D

damn they aint let you loose on here ave they jeremy?? and pete too, what are things comming to!

Just my oppinion but isn't oregan more a 4th section piece?

I still say get essay out and have a blow through it