Celebrity Brass players

bladder

Nadia said:
did anyone notice that allan hobbins (current briggus sop plyr) made it on to practically every scene in the film too!!!

Do you mean all those sop arpeggios, even though there's not an instrument in sight? :?

bladder

Doesn't Jim 'Bully' Bowen play Trumpet/Cornet? I think he only knows one tune 'Oh my Papa'.

You get nowt for two in a bed. What a load of bully...

bladder

craigyboy1 said:
I seem to recall that Jimmy Hill played cornet??
You know... the one us Scots love to hate?

I've seen him on tv attempt to play the trumpet...well he blew in the right end anyway.
And... it's not only you Scots...

Aidan

bladder said:
Doesn't Jim 'Bully' Bowen play Trumpet/Cornet? I think he only knows one tune 'Oh my Papa'.

You get nowt for two in a bed. What a load of bully...
he did a compare job for us ages ago, so i spose he might have...

Aidan

bladder said:
Nadia said:
did anyone notice that allan hobbins (current briggus sop plyr) made it on to practically every scene in the film too!!!

Do you mean all those sop arpeggios, even though there's not an instrument in sight? :?

no, it was in his Bb days, he just seems to be in the background of every scene! :D

stephen2001

bigcol said:
This sounds like a great idea for one of those really rubbish filler programmes that are shown on ITV like "After they were famous" which are shown at the same time as Eastenders coz they no no-one will watch it.

"Famous brass bandsmen of our time". Matthew Kelly could host it. They could get a guest band to accompany our famous soloists.

On the various "Before They Were Famous" style of programmes, they normally playing a clip of Ewan McGregor playing French Horn.

Di B

People have forgotten the obvious one (to me) of the now departed Roy Castle..... I can remember he did try to break a world record of getting lots of young musicians together to play in a massed band too. Not sure how it went but can remember one of the learners from the band I was with going along to it.

As for Tara Fitzgerald, if my memory serves me she could read music as she had played flute but needed to learn the right valves to press down on the flugel.

Mel Sykes would be a welcome member of our band as I think she has the right attitude to be on a bari/euph section!!!

tubatu

Here's one for the Oldies, Jimmy Edwards.
For those who don't know who I'm talking about, he was a famous comic and actor who used to play Trombone and Tuba as part of his stand up routine.
Follow this link to find out more.
http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2003/art327.asp
Also, let's not forget the late, great Spike Milligan, who in his younger days was a brilliant Trumpet player.

Frosty

Eric Cantona used to play trumpet whist at Manchester United.He had lessons from one of the guys at the Halle.
Even turned up at some of there concerts!! :wink:

Max Beesley played percussion for Faireys and NYBB.
Used to be seen on opening/closing sequences for the Word.

All the best.

Frosty

bladder

Frosty said:
Eric Cantona used to play trumpet whist at Manchester United.He had lessons from one of the guys at the Halle.

Would you tell him that he hasn't practiced enough from last time and you're disappointed with his progress :shock:
All that gaelic flair and flying feet...
And the cryptic excuses...seagulls, trawlers and I don't know what??

Big Fella

Melanie Sykes Father, Bob, plays Euphonium, and sometimes conducts Mossley JW Lees band.., she used to play in the band as well..

Sutty, used to play Solo Baritone at Thornsett Band