Celebrity Brass players

rutty

twigglet said:
lets not forget harold bishop here, an excellent tuba player by anyones estimations
Ah, good old Harold...

Didn't Tara Fitzgerald actually learn how to play for Brassed off too? She was far better looking than that Ewan fella... :wink:

Heather

If she had learned to play she didn't look too convincing on her flugel solo..sorry, can't spell it!!
On the otherhand I don't suppose you men were looking at her valves eh??????

Roger Thorne

Heather said:
If she had learned to play she didn't look too convincing on her flugel solo..sorry, can't spell it!!
On the otherhand I don't suppose you men were looking at her valves eh??????

She looked more convincing than Stephen Tomlinson playing Trombone! . . . and I did glance up to look at her valves :lol: but only for second :wink:

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
sparkling_quavers said:
Heather said:
I have to agree with Hornblower and Sparkling Quavers.
There'd be a fight if he put his name on the 'positions wanted' list!!!!!

Yeah and I would win! :D

Scottish men are nice and irish as well! Shame about most of the English blokes :?

Hey sparkly... what about Welsh fella's then... are they not nice ...?? :?:

dyl

TheMusicMan said:
sparkling_quavers said:
Heather said:
I have to agree with Hornblower and Sparkling Quavers.
There'd be a fight if he put his name on the 'positions wanted' list!!!!!

Yeah and I would win! :D

Scottish men are nice and irish as well! Shame about most of the English blokes :?

Hey sparkly... what about Welsh fella's then... are they not nice ...?? :?:

Good question!

asteria

Celebrities

I remember reading in brass band world ages ago about melanie sykes being a former baritone player, and it also said that the actor Max Beesley used to play percussion for the National Youth Brass Band!

His mum was also the woman who sang in the shake and vac tv advert, what a claim to fame!

Helen

Aidan

haha i dont think the grimey boys would be happy to hear they were accompanying a woman *cough, splutter* oh the politically incorrectness of it all!! *sighs*

did anyone notice that allan hobbins (current briggus sop plyr) made it on to practically every scene in the film too!!!

Aidan

cornetgirl

hornblower said:
I don't think tara played... afterall she wore lipstick whilst playing...impossible!!!!!

Too true, she mimed!

How do I know this? Well, she was taught to mime by none other than Jim Shepherd who happened to teach me at the time (and very excited about the whole shebang he was too!!!!) Can't say much for Jim's acting in the film though... :lol:

foxyflug

Sutty is a friend of Alan Wycherley......he used to play baritone and do a spot of conducting too more recently (somewhere in the Midlands).

I met "Zak Dingle" at the Open (when it was Les Preludes), apparantly his uncle was Harold Moss who wrote The Nightingale.

Max Beesley used to play for Faireys on percussion. I remember him being hyper ALL the time!

The guys at Grimey aren't too bad Aidan......they didn't seem to mind accompanying THIS girl at York University a couple of years ago!!!!
:wink:

Foxy

asteria

Tara miming

Hi there,

I was a pupil of Jim's at the time too and he was certainly very proud - think he considered it his major claim to fame!

Are you the same rachel that used to play for Bradford Youth Brass Band/Brad Met Band?! If so you may remember a little kid sitting on 2nd horn? :)

Helen

cornetgirl

Re: Tara miming

Helen V said:
Hi there,

I was a pupil of Jim's at the time too and he was certainly very proud - think he considered it his major claim to fame!

Are you the same rachel that used to play for Bradford Youth Brass Band/Brad Met Band?! If so you may remember a little kid sitting on 2nd horn? :)

Helen

Yes, that was me! I do remember you, and all the fun that band had.... London.... being carried back onto the bus past geoff.... Jim and Geoff buying Catherine and I Bacardis at the Albert Hall.... why did that band have to go? Bloody instrumental music service :(

shorty

Re Melanie Sykes

Hi everyone ...new member here - a welsh lad oop north!!!!

Now I'll probably amaze everyone with my stupidity!!
Was just wondering if there was any family connection between said Mel and Steve Sykes. I am sure I remember an interview where she said her family were very well known in the banding world?! Just a thought- u never know!!!

Great site by the way!

I seem to remember Richard Gere plays the cornet quite well, I know he's getting on a bit but I'm 40 next week-AAARGGHHHHH!!!!!! :( and he can sit beside me anyday and hold my mute! :eek: oooer Mrs!

markyboy

Just for a change I'm going to give Pennine Brass a mention, but a former back row player Ruth Piggott at our band was in a Vodafone commercial which ran on tv for a few months. The sound track was 'Bohemian like you' by the Dandy Warhols and she was one of the girls in the back of a limo when the caption comes up 'Were georgous'. Ruth is person who gave me the name Markyboy. She is now at Crewe Uni doing a degree in flirting with blokes twice her age, as I can vouch for. I also have every confidence she will pass with flying colours.
If your reading this Ruth, hope you are well.
Mark. XX

bigcol

This sounds like a great idea for one of those really rubbish filler programmes that are shown on ITV like "After they were famous" which are shown at the same time as Eastenders coz they no no-one will watch it.

"Famous brass bandsmen of our time". Matthew Kelly could host it. They could get a guest band to accompany our famous soloists.

Colin.

(PS - I seem to remember they've done something similar where Englebert Humperdink played darts against Eric Bristow, and someone was good at painting. Can't remember)

Aidan

foxyflug said:
The guys at Grimey aren't too bad Aidan......they didn't seem to mind accompanying THIS girl at York University a couple of years ago!!!!
:wink:

Foxy

aye, was only jesting ;)
didnt you do a cd with them one time??

Aidan

Re: Re Melanie Sykes

shorty said:
Hi everyone ...new member here - a welsh lad oop north!!!!

Now I'll probably amaze everyone with my stupidity!!
Was just wondering if there was any family connection between said Mel and Steve Sykes. I am sure I remember an interview where she said her family were very well known in the banding world?! Just a thought- u never know!!!

Great site by the way!

yup she is his niece :)
phwoaaar ;)

Product tMP members are discussing