Celebrity Brass players

BigHorn

Did anybody see Melanie Sykes on tv christmas eve playing christmas carols on her baritone. She made quite a passable job of it. I bet quite a few of us wish she were in our band.
I thought she was just a bit of eye candy :shock: and never knew she had such talents. It got me thinking are there any other famous people out there hiding banding talents :?:

stephen2001

Victoria Wood plays trumpet/cornet.
Ewan McGregor used to play French Horn before he became famous.
Celebrity Chef, Brian Turner plays Tuba.

Thats 3 just off the top of my head, but I'm sure theres others!

dyl

I saw one-time Nottingham Forest 'keeper, Steve Sutton, at the North West Area at Blackpool and I seem to remeber someone tell me he used to play.

Wish I'd seen Melanie Sykes though! :wink:

Whey Hey! Come on u reds. I remember Steve Sutton playing for Forest in the early 80's he was a vey good goal keeper and one of the fans favourites being a local lad. Brian Clough fell out with him and wouldn't play him again despite him being the best keeper by a mile. I wasn't into brass bands then but I seem to remember seeing him in the papers/tv playing a horn/bari/euph shaped instrument not a cornet. But I may be wrong.

celebrity brass

I seem to remember "sutty" playing baritone but not full time due to commitments with Forest and then Derby County Also when it was his testomonial year Leylands came to Nottinghams Albert Hall and sutty did a bit of conducting to boot!!
I also remember hearing Emmerdales Zak Dingle (dont know the actors name) is a big bandie-not sure if he plays tho.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
... btw... If anyone has any pics of celeb's doing brass, playing, or conducting - and you don't have your own space to host them - just send them on to me at john@themouthpiece.com & I'll format/resize them & put them up on this thread :D

I'm sure this would add an interesting slant to the topic...

Curious

Re: celebrity brass

engelbert humperWink said:
I seem to remember "sutty" playing baritone but not full time due to commitments with Forest and then Derby County Also when it was his testomonial year Leylands came to Nottinghams Albert Hall and sutty did a bit of conducting to boot!!
I also remember hearing Emmerdales Zak Dingle (dont know the actors name) is a big bandie-not sure if he plays tho.

Certainly saw him in the bar at the 2001 Open.

wazzo

Steve Halliwell (AKA Zack Dingle) is a big Brass band fan though not a player. About 8 years ago he wrote a play for M6 Theatre Company which toured schools in the North West. It featured a lad whoplayed the cornet.The story was about a couple of unemployed guys who search for antique "pot lids on slagheaps and Victorian rubbish dumps.
I cannot remember the title,unfortunately,but it concluded very movingly with the finale of Resurgham. Steve played one of the two guys and the play was partly autobiographical if I remember rightly. He was at the time a not very wealthy jobbing actor.
How times change eh!

hornblower

I remember Ewan McGregor playing the tenor horn for real in the film brassed off and asking why everyone was laughing at him... apparently he was really bad!!! bless at least he tried!!!!!
brassedoff1.jpg

Heather

I have to agree with Hornblower and Sparkling Quavers.
There'd be a fight if he put his name on the 'positions wanted' list!!!!!

sparkling_quavers

Heather said:
I have to agree with Hornblower and Sparkling Quavers.
There'd be a fight if he put his name on the 'positions wanted' list!!!!!

Yeah and I would win! :D

Scottish men are nice and irish as well! Shame about most of the English blokes :?