caroling - which carol is the best?

timbloke

Griffin said:
Think they are local carols so woukdn't be suprised if you haven't heard of 'em.

If you're going for local carols I'd pick Stannington, a beautiful melody, or Fern Bank.

Anyone in Sheffield wanting to hear some of the local carols should make their way to the following pubs:

Crown and Glove, Stannington - Sunday 18th
Robin Hood, Little Matlock (Stannington) - Thursday 22nd
Holly Bush, Stannington - Friday 23rd

Guarenteed good fun!!:clap:

Hell's_Trombone said:
yeah calypso carol is ace! does anyone else know the numbers for carols or am i just a freak?!?

Don't get me started ... I only need to learn the numbers of the obscure ones and i've memorised the whole book!

43 is very nice and I've grown rather attached to 66

(Infant Holy and Praise ye the Lord[Hail Smiling Morn] respectively)

timbloke

Curiosity_Kills said:
No 66 - Praise ye the Lord (Hail Smiling Morn)

How similar is this to the Local Version? I've never played the red-book one, but it'd be good to know how similar it is and whether it is a good arrangement for only a few players. I know the red book version of Sweet Chiming Bells misses 2 bars on the local version and causes a lot of confusion when you try to sing "While shepherds watch" to it - as the local version does.

Big Twigge

O Little Town Of Bethlehem, simply because it's been my favourite since I was very very little - no reason for it, I just liked it and so get that warm, homely, christmassy feeling when I hear or play it.

matti_raz

we do 1-76 (ALL) in the green and then swap and change but 74 is definately best for money. Oh and 1,2,3. but my favourite has to be coventry carol (which is the only number i cant remember- 26 ish rings a bell<literally i think>)
Anyhows enough of my ramblings!

cujo_134

Just a quick question, our band was out carolling today and we thought we'd try #20 in the new one (Carol of the Bells). Once we got through it, we were sorda in shock, because that was not the Carol of the Bells that we know. Is it just us or is it completely different tune than in the old green ones?

bigmamabadger

Every year I rediscover Gaudete and remember how much I love it. Listened to it last night by the Mediaeval Baebes.
BMB
xx

FlugelD

Slightly O.T. - does anyone know of a band arrangement of 'Solstice Bells' by Jethro Tull (Jack in the Wood album)?? - I love it!

persins

super_sop said:
i love coventry carol especially the ending

Are you mad?!! It almost makes me want to do myself some damage!

Anything apart from that and Hark the Herald has got a bit of a chance with me.

persins

Thirteen Ball said:
Just a little tangent, but I went to a carol service as a non-player the other night, and found myself completely unable to sing the tunes of christmas carols... only my own part! Has anyone else noticed themselves singing impromtu harmonies whilst standing in a pew?

Yup been there, done that. I tend to just stand there looking rather silly!
Mind you I do that with most singing! My excuse is that I have spent 18 ish yrs of my life playing the cornet mainly to get out of having to sing!!

imthemaddude

I think my favourite has to the Cornet solo Away in a manger because the rep gets a lush part too! Other than that I like when a child is born.

thirteen Ball..... the school choir I used to be in always sang the descants for the last verse and I keep feeling the need to sing them or at least write them out for the sop!!

Thirteen Ball

imthemaddude said:
I think my favourite has to the Cornet solo Away in a manger because the rep gets a lush part too! Other than that I like when a child is born.

thirteen Ball..... the school choir I used to be in always sang the descants for the last verse and I keep feeling the need to sing them or at least write them out for the sop!!

Not just me then! that's reassuring. I always used to sing bass in the school choir so it kinda comes natural to sing tuba parts. It is kinda embarrassing when I stop singing on the first "o come let us adore him" because the tuba part drops off for four bars! :oops:

Lauradoll

After 3 sessions out with the school band, Ding Dong Merrily on High got a lot of money in the pots, as did Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells.

timbloke

Lauradoll said:
After 3 sessions out with the school band, Ding Dong Merrily on High got a lot of money in the pots, as did Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells.

This has to be the favourite around here. The While Shepherds Watched version of course.

jingleram

Really liking O heaven-sent King at the moment, wrote a euph solo based on it this week, premiering it at caroling tommorow lol, really really really like the middle of it, so simplistic, but such a beautiful melody (no.61)

Liz Courts

Jingle Bells and Rudolph from the carol books definitely rake in the most cash! Although someone gave us £20 just to play The First Noel one year :eek:!!

Number 99 - Here We Come A-Wassailing is definitely the band favourite though! :icon_cheesygrin:

Offbeats

"I love Carols, although I do prefer Barbaras!" - Tom Baker

PS Boar's Head Carol is the best

oh and Three King's March, just cos I love smacking out the solo cornet bit!

Product tMP members are discussing