Bo'ness & Carriden
Kilmarnock
Shotts
Kirkintilloch Kelvin
Kinneil
Jedforest

Adjudicator - Andy Duncan

KC
So better not mention what we are playing then folks because Andy looks in here from time to time :wink:

Borfeo

It looks like an excellent line up, I'm looking forward to a really difficult contest!!

Is there any truth in the rumour that the Entertainment judge is Mr Jim Martin? I hope so as he's a man I have enormous respect for, plus he never misses a contest performance, a true brass band man.

KennyC

Borfeo said:
It looks like an excellent line up, I'm looking forward to a really difficult contest!!

Is there any truth in the rumour that the Entertainment judge is Mr Jim Martin? I hope so as he's a man I have enormous respect for, plus he never misses a contest performance, a true brass band man.

Spot on Mark.

No idea what happened to his Grandson though!

KC

We have three practices this week in the lead up because we have been busy with concets we have not had a lot of time to spend on the ontest music. Really hard practice last night lips were like rubber by the time I finished, but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to meeting fellow tmpers at the contest.

By the way what time does it start at?

Borfeo

I believe it's a 10am kick off. Be nice to meet some TMPers as well, I feel a bit left out when they all talk about pontins and the Open and which TMPers they've all met (sniff).

Borfeo

I believe that basically each band is asked whether they would like an early or late draw, and they split the bands up evenly according to that. A first draw of either 7 or 8 bands will be drawn in the morning, and the rest drawn at around 12pm. What you'll generally find though is that the lower section bands will opt for the first half and you'll get all the big guns bunched up at the late end of the draw. I also believe that the split is in case Bands wanted to do the Fife contest too, they'd have more chance with the draw etc.

That's what i think will happen anyways :?

found out we have asked for a late draw,if your theory is correct you will spot us a mile then as we will be a second section band among the big guns :shock: :( :roll:

Borfeo

Of course I could be wrong lol. Broxburns asked to be in the second half, and I know the other champ bands will do the same, but you might be the hidden gem!!

From my experience the Whitburn contest is quite tactical, especially with the draw, but the performances are usually first rate, I'd listen to a few bands if I were you!!

I intend to go through earlier to listen to some of the bands. I think we are really hoping for a late draw which will not put us on before 3pm as our conductor is working in the morning and will not be through much before that. I will of course stay until the results not that we are expecting anything in among the big names but I like the buzz in the hall at the announcements and I like watching the look of shock and suprise.

Borfeo

There's prizes in each section though, so you might come away with something, you never know. It does seem a little on numbers from 2nd section downwards so I wouldn't expect just to be interested in the oooohs and aaaaahs of the top section bands.

Apparently the bars right behind the hall too, in the canteen. Don't know if that'll be a great idea, but only time will tell I guess.

Is there not talk about moving the areas away from Falkirk because of the noise which can be heard from the bar next to the hall. Maybe the noise will not carry that far. I will be driving so will be on the soft stuff :shock: I might see you there as no doubt most of Renfrew band will head straight for the bar after we have played.

Borfeo

Falkirks a nightmare, I never drink in the town hall, always go up the street, I genuinely despise Falkirk as a venue, much prefer Motherwell for the Scottish.

Yeah, I hope I see you there, I'll try and look in on your band and see who you are, What do you play again?

Borfeo

I'll keep my eye out, although after I play I tend to be bar bound, must be peer pressure or something :? Good luck to you anyway, and hopefully I'll be putting faces to user names.

KennyC

Important message to all competitors at the Whitburn Contest

Due to unforeseen circumstances in relation to bands requests for early / late draws and a last minute withdrawal, tomorrow's Whitburn Contest will now start at 11 am and not 10.30 am as advertised.

The draw for the second part of the contest will now be at 11.45 am and we expect the first band in this part to take the stage shortly after 12.30 pm. The first draw will now be at 9.45 am.

To clear up any confusion, the contest will be in Whitburn Academy and NOT ST. KENTIGERN'S. There is now a total smoking ban in Whitburn Academy and there are sensors throughout the building connected to a sensitive alarm system. Please stress the importance of obeying this rule to the members of your band.

We hope this doesn't disrupt anyone's plans too much and apologise for the lateness of the announcement. Please understand that it has been made only to best satisfy the needs of the competing bands.

Kenny Crookston

Whitburn Band