Camping in Cornwall

Jamie

I'd vouch for pretty much all of the above, especially Philps for pasties. As you're camping, however, I do have a special plea... if you happen to dine in the restaurant I work in, do not feel the need to avail yourself of our cutlery and salt and pepper as the other campers do...!! Also, (and I'm sorry if this sounds pessimistic, and I'm sure it wont happen, but its best to have a contingency plan) if it rains a wee bit as it is prone to do here, and your temporary abode blows away or becomes saturated, theres a nice little guest house just outside Hayle... look for the sign that says Eureka!

Apart from that, I'd definintely take some time out from the really touristy pay-to-get-in features, and have a few hours on the beach... If St Ives Bay is overrun, we're not short of coastline!!

super_sop

Supporting Member
watching this thread with interest

I'm watching this thread with great interest as we will be down camping at the end of August.

look out Par!!!

meandmycornet

little_miss_marcroft said:
Isn't Bugle Sunday the 18th? Correct me if I'm wrong, it's just I've seen it on another website as 18th June which is a Sunday.

18th of June is a Sunday, your right on that count.... but Bugle is on the SaturdaY!

Oh and by the way.... flambards is rubbish unless your about 10 :tongue:

Definately go the Eden Project thats amazing.... and definately go to the beach.... and definately go to Padstow its lovely.... they do nice ice creams there! Go to the Minnack as well.... but if you want to actually go to a show and not just look around.... book well in advanced.... we were very disappointed to find that the show was sold out especially as it was our second to last day!

If your near Penzance, can't remember which part of Cornwall you said your going too, go over to St Michaels Mount (you can walk over at low tide!), its really pretty and the views from the top are lovely! and the castle thing is great to look around too!

Hope you have a lovely cornish holiday!

Fi
xx

DaveR

:woo, I'm going on my hols to Cornwall too! Next week! I can't wait! :biggrin:

I'm not camping though :tongue:

I'm a bit disappointed that I've chosen a week that so narrowly misses Bugle and the Royal Cornwall Show, but what the heck, it's still a holiday! :clap:

Di

We're coming down to Cornwall next week too! Travelling down on bank holiday Monday and staying til Sunday. Yaay, can't wait to get away from the rat race for a few days. :)

Jamie

I've just come back... you'll be pleased to know it absolutely poured it down for the duration, so there can't possibly be anything remotely wet left up there to come down until at least December. And, now that my career plans have gone up in flames, I'll be spending an awful lot more time there so I may well see a few of you about!

DaveR

Di said:
We're coming down to Cornwall next week too! Travelling down on bank holiday Monday and staying til Sunday. Yaay, can't wait to get away from the rat race for a few days. :)

I'm there from Sunday but just until Thursday :( as my hotel is fully booked after that day. I may move to another part of Cornwall for a couple of nights though! I'll keep an eye out for you!

jamie said:
I've just come back... you'll be pleased to know it absolutely poured it down for the duration, so there can't possibly be anything remotely wet left up there to come down until at least December. And, now that my career plans have gone up in flames, I'll be spending an awful lot more time there so I may well see a few of you about!

Well, I'm glad you've sorted the weather out for us ;) Sorry to hear that your career plans are up in flames though :( I'll keep an eye out for you too!

Di

DaveR said:
I'm there from Sunday but just until Thursday :( as my hotel is fully booked after that day. I may move to another part of Cornwall for a couple of nights though! I'll keep an eye out for you!

Its a pretty big place Cornwall, where abouts are you going?

DaveR

I'm staying in Porthleven down in the far South West. I'm thinking about taking a copy of all the avatars on tMP so I can recognise people I might bump into! :biggrin:

What about you? Where are you staying?

Di

Ah, we're going to a lot further north than that, we're up in Padstow. Once I get in the caravan though, it'll be "tMP, whats tMP"? :biggrin::tongue:

:pig

DaveR

Di said:
Ah, we're going to a lot further north than that, we're up in Padstow. Once I get in the caravan though, it'll be "tMP, whats tMP"? :biggrin::tongue:

:pig
You need more than one flying pig Di! :tongue:

Padstow (or as the locals call it "Padstein" or "Rickstow") is lovely. Nothing like a nice gentle walk or cycle along the Camel Trail!

2nd man down

Staff member
We're going to St Ives bay caravan park in Hayle at the back end of July!!! Can't wait, I love it down there!!! :biggrin:

Di

DaveR said:
You need more than one flying pig Di! :tongue:

Padstow (or as the locals call it "Padstein" or "Rickstow") is lovely. Nothing like a nice gentle walk or cycle along the Camel Trail!

That used to be the case "back in the old days" before they opened up so many cycle hire centres. You used to be able to walk quietly down the trail. Nowadays its like a dodgem track. :-? May be not quite so bad eariler in the season though. We used to go down at the end of June/beginning of July, but then they changed the school holidays round here so we had to start going in silly season, mid July. It makes ever such a big difference. Down on the beach in June, we'd have the place almost to ourselves. Get there mid-July, you're lucky if you can put your feet down, let alone a beach towel. Then the sea, like the trail, is bedlam with thousands of kiddies on their body boards being launched into left, right and centre. AND the price of the croissants goes up on the second saturday in July.!:eek:

DaveR

It's a few years since I was last on the Camel Trail, so it sounds like it has changed a lot since then :(. Blinking tourists! :tongue:

Di said:
AND the price of the croissants goes up on the second saturday in July.!:eek:
The rotters!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :tongue:

Mrs Womble

Well I love everything about Cornwall, but if your looking for some where to have a nice afternoon tea then try Falmouth. I forget the name of it but it’s a little tearoom on the main High Street. It’s very old fashioned but lovely!! Their cream teas are to die for!!! They do this cream tea called thunder & Lightening which sound a little weird but it’s loads better then the normal box standard cream team.
What they give you is a couple of scones with Cornish clotted cream, but then instead of the jam you have golden syrup. When you put it all together it’s amazing!
I’ll get the name of the tearoom for you!

Or if you just want a free cup of tea/coffee you could always visit Cornishwomble’s Mum & Dad in Lanner!!

super_sop

Supporting Member
We'll be down in Par in August, we're loving our camping trips down there.
we are working our way around cornwall each year in a different place.

bring on the hols!!!!

bigmamabadger

meandmycornet said:
Go to the Minnack as well.... but if you want to actually go to a show and not just look around.... book well in advanced.... we were very disappointed to find that the show was sold out especially as it was our second to last day!
It's always worth giving them a ring though. We managed to get in to see the Illyria Company do Richard III as a comedy (?) with only a couple of days notice.
Chilling on the beach in Cornwall can't be beat. If you were there for longer I'd suggest a day trip to the Scillies which is possibly my favourite place in the whole world bar none.
BMB
xx

Kayleigh

I dont no if anybody has replied to one of the above posts about what time does Bugle contest start, but the march down starts at 10am and the march back throught to the square is usually around 7ish?! Just depends how many bands have entered. This year there are a few i guess but dont go blaming me if it finishes or is later than 7pm! Haha! Is anyone actually coming down on hols and coming along to the contest? Its a great one to miss out on!

meandmycornet

DaveR said:
I'm staying in Porthleven down in the far South West. I'm thinking about taking a copy of all the avatars on tMP so I can recognise people I might bump into! :biggrin:

What about you? Where are you staying?

You should go to Porthleven Band whilst your there then! They have possibly the tiniest principal cornet player ever! and she's amazing!!

another good trip is Isles of Scilly! I had the surpise of my life when I found out I was going to fly there in a Helicopter! (my first time in the air!) especially seeing as i was told we were going by ferry.... and I was like... why are we parking here? its ages to the sea :tongue: One big tip though is... go direct to Tresco... we didn't realise you could.... but Tresco is absolutely gorgeous! Its like being on a tropical island, also of weird and wonderful plants! and it has a lovely pub too! We walked 'all' the way round tresco in about an hour and a bit and its just lovely.... beautiful views and white sand on the beaches as if you were in the carribbean! :D

Product tMP members are discussing