Camping in Cornwall

manx_yessir

Me & my other half are going camping down in Cornwall for a week from 17th June. We're staying in St. Ives for 4 nights then St Austell for 4. Any suggestions of places to visit/events to go to while we're there?

Cantonian

The Minack Theatre (if the weather is good). Take a blanket cos the stone seating is cold on the rear!

Eden project.

The Tate Gallery in St Ives.

The island at Porthmeor beach (St Ives) for sunsets.

Flambards.

DaveR

Other things to see in the part of Cornwall you are going to:

The Lizard
Landsend
Pendine Lighthouse
Geevor Mining museum
Gweek Seal Sanctuary (for the awww factor!)
National Maritime Museum (Falmouth)
Truro
Cycling / walking along the Camel Trail (runs from Padstow to Wadebridge)
Goonhilly Earth Satellite station

I'll add more if and when I think of them!

Last edited:

2nd man down

Staff member
Philps bakery in hayle for the best Cornish pasty in the World (The steak one, not the normal beef). These ones don't even need any chips or gravy. Ooh, gravy...northern boys love gravy. :biggrin:

Cornishwomble

2nd man down said:
Philps bakery in hayle for the best Cornish pasty in the World (The steak one, not the normal beef). These ones don't even need any chips or gravy. Ooh, gravy...northern boys love gravy. :biggrin:

I've told you, if you put gravy on your pasty there will be a world wide band on you having them (apart from those minging excuses you get in northern bakeries)

Avoid my home town Redruth as it's not exactly "Tourist friendly"

Would definately recommend the Eden Project and Flambards is ok for a visit but not the sort of place you'd go back again and again. Would recommend Padstow for a trip, they normally have a band playing on a Wednesday night on the harbour and if you get the chance try Rick Stein's Fish and chips :tup

Definately give Newquay a go it's a good night out but also St Ives is quite good when your down that way.

Will think of some more and let you know when i see you (hopefully) on sunday

DaveR

2nd man down said:
No, the pasty shop in Porthleven is best. Make sure you are there early though - their pasties are so good that they tend to have sold out by 11.30am! There's also a fabulous Ice Cream parlour there, so you can have pudding too!

Liz Loftus

17th June!!!!!

Thats Bugle Contest Day!!! Leave home early and come & have a great day out :tup
The Bands march down. then we compete in the open air. then we all march back up again - the lucky ones parading the trophies. An experience not to be missed - Cornwalls answer to Whit friday - well almost;)

we'll be there!

steve_r

I actually found out about this the other day cuz we are going to Padstow a couple of weeks b4 you.

Padstow harbour concerts
18th June Blowzone community band
21st june Wadebridge town band
25th June Lanner and district.

The sunday ones are mid afternoon and again in the evening - wednesday just in the evening and the chips ARE really good.

Steve

manx_yessir

Cornishwomble said:
Would recommend Padstow for a trip, they normally have a band playing on a Wednesday night on the harbour and if you get the chance try Rick Stein's Fish and chips :tup
Will they play ' The Padstow Lifeboat' do you think?:p

Cornishwomble said:
Will think of some more and let you know when i see you (hopefully) on sunday
Cheers cocker, Mine's a pint (Sally's driving!)

Rapier

Supporting Member
Well if you do think of going to Newquay, call in on West Somerset on the way and I'll sell you a very nice surfboard. Ideal for beginners. :D

Liz Loftus said:
17th June!!!!!

Thats Bugle Contest Day!!! Leave home early and come & have a great day out :tup
The Bands march down. then we compete in the open air. then we all march back up again - the lucky ones parading the trophies. An experience not to be missed - Cornwalls answer to Whit friday - well almost;)

we'll be there!

Isn't Bugle Sunday the 18th? Correct me if I'm wrong, it's just I've seen it on another website as 18th June which is a Sunday.

2nd man down

Staff member
manx_yessir said:
What time to the Bugle contest start? And what time (ish) does it usually finish?

Supposedly so you'll know when all the houses will be unoccupied? :rolleyes:

Sorry scouse, couldn't resist. :biggrin:

manx_yessir

2nd man down said:
Supposedly so you'll know when all the houses will be unoccupied? :rolleyes:
Obviously! You know me too well ;)

2nd man down said:
Sorry scouse, couldn't resist. :biggrin:
You could. You just didn't want to.:( :biggrin:

I am not actually a burglar, 2nd man down likes to take the p***, as do the rest of Emley because I support the Mighty Reds. (I should start living up to my name and nick their mutes hehehe)

Product tMP members are discussing