buying music????

squeakypete_frb

does anyone know of any websites where, when you are purchasing music you can hear a sound clip of the piece that you are buying???

because it is very frustrating when you dont know what the piece is like??

please help?

MRSH

Supporting Member
squeakypete_frb said:
does anyone know of any websites where, when you are purchasing music you can hear a sound clip of the piece that you are buying???

because it is very frustrating when you dont know what the piece is like??

please help?
Yes. Thornes Music (our very own Roger on tMP) has this facility for everything he sells.

Visit HERE

There are some fantastic new releases here as well. :wink: :D :wink:

Straightmute

Ditto - Dragon Music Publishing.

We use Sibelius' Scorch which allows you to see the score, as well as to hear the music.

Do pay a visit!

D

WorldofBrass.com

When adding new items of sheet music to our site we try to include a 30 second sound clip if there is a recording available.
We're gradually working through the sheet music on the website that hasn't got a sound clip but unfortunately we haven't got anything as sophisticated as Scorch.....yet!
We've just added a sound clip for the cornet solo Healing Waters.
Have a listen to David Daws.....wonderful!

http://www.worldofbrass.com/products.php?section=1

Andrew Mackereth has got the Scorch thing for his music; www.blowandbelieve.com

I use midi sound and pdfs at my website.
I used to have midi files for all of my music on my site until one day a friend told me that he had downloaded a midi file into a scoring programme and then was able to print off the score, needless to say I tested his theory and then quickly took off all of the midi files.
mp3's I believe are a lot safer.
Pdf's I have been told are fine as long as you make sure that the security settings are set to high so that the scores cannot be printed (I don't know how safe they are though if someone decides to screen dump them).

Naomi McFadyen

I use midis/mp3s on my site...

Kernow: good point...
but also remember guys, that you can "print" off each page when playing back scorch files as well- one reason I dont use them ;-) midis opened into Sib or something arent *that* exact, but yes, its possible....
MP3s are safer and you can also make sure the sound is just as you want it...

sparkling_quavers

Naruco said:
I use midis/mp3s on my site...

Kernow: good point...
but also remember guys, that you can "print" off each page when playing back scorch files as well- one reason I dont use them ;-) midis opened into Sib or something arent *that* exact, but yes, its possible....
MP3s are safer and you can also make sure the sound is just as you want it...

other than the fact that is illegal, I wouldn't see why anyone would bother doing that....surely the printing costs and then the hassle of cutting up the parts for the band would be far more than 20 pounds worth of work!

I understand your points. However, my feeling is if someone wants to bootleg low brass chamber music, more power to them.

Since brass band music is more expensive, I can see being more protective. I'd use just sample mp3s and partial scores.

Ken F.

www.kfsbrasschamber.com

Last edited:

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
We will soon be adding pdf's to our site (initially it will only be Soloist parts for the solos, but we will be adding 4 or 5 pages of all scores at a later date). However, if you are interested in something on our site I can send the pdf and a cd of the Sibelius playback of the piece(s) in question.

PM or email (info@mmi-music.co.uk) for more information.

TIMBONE

I'm afraid that I have not managed to get midifiles onto my website. However, I supply them by return if asked for them. Many people have obtained music from me in this way, our moderator Roger Thorne ordered Eleanor Rigby for Wem Band in this way.