Buxton 2012

jimmymac

Not much mention of the second section here and even the full results don't seem to be posted yet. Top two bands were clearly way above the rest of the field but all bands managed to pull off something of merit. Bet the adjudicator found it hard to separate 1st and 2nd placing. We gave it to shirebrook too merely on the quality of sound in the basses and euphs. Cheltenham could be interesting!

Bet the adjudicator found it hard to separate 1st and 2nd placing. We gave it to shirebrook too merely on the quality of sound in the basses and euphs. Cheltenham could be interesting!
I think you/he should actually have given it to Haslingden, merely on the basis of us not playing the Area piece ;)

Seriously though, thanks for your comments - it's good to get some independent feedback. And you're right, Cheltenham should be a cracker. Looking forward to it :tup

The decision after the first few bands to move bands within the hall was well made; it didn't detract or disrupt the contest once it was implemented and the bands were moving in and out at the same time.
I heard the first 6 bands in the 4th Section and have to say I thought Lees was the first band to put some musicality into their own choice - Dimensions. Didn't hear the eventual winners but well done Lees a well deserved result.

The 3rd section had some fantastic playing from all the bands and as John Berryman said before the results he thought every band had played well. We would have liked a better result but on our own little Test piece contest we won ;) (we and Hucknall played Purcell Variations)

Congratulations to the winners - I thought Whitworth Vales's choice of piece in Episodes In Brass was a brilliant piece and the adjudicator clearly liked the performance
Thanks for the comments Tubafran - we knew that Fleetwood last year was no fluke and on a good day we can play as good as the best, so this makes up partly for the penultimate place at the regionals (especially as we split the 2nd & 4th placed bands). I'd like, on behalf of the band, to pass on our thanks to our MD John Collins and all the parents who pick up & drop off players so everyone can get to & from rehearsals & contests.

The contest worked so well on Sunday that the organisers should consider adopting this approach next year. I had to nip away on an errand and missed the results by an hour - I didn't expect them till around 12:30.

ClassicBrass
2nd 2nd Baritone, Roadie & Webmaster
Lees Band

jimmymac

I think you/he should actually have given it to Haslingden, merely on the basis of us not playing the Area piece ;

We thought it was a shame you didn't! We would have liked a direct comparison between you both. Just as a point of interest....shirebrook had a very talented pair of ladies of Eb bass. We were trying to think if any other band with an all female bass section. We couldn't...any of you?

Frontman

We thought it was a shame you didn't! We would have liked a direct comparison between you both. Just as a point of interest....shirebrook had a very talented pair of ladies of Eb bass. We were trying to think if any other band with an all female bass section. We couldn't...any of you?

TRINITY GIRLS OF COURSE. And an excellent Bass Section at that.

Posh

I think you/he should actually have given it to Haslingden, merely on the basis of us not playing the Area piece ;

Maybe a good reason why open adjudication should be brought back. Anyone in their right mind would then place us first at each contest for having the most gorgeous Eb Basses!

jimmymac

I have no doubt they are fine specimens indeed, but surely an all female section is unusual in a band that actually allows men! I'm speaking as a Bb player who has never had the delights of sitting next to one female on bass, never mind two! I'm not being sexist, it was just intriguing to see a change from the norm. Looking forward to doing a bit of research into this at the whits!

Heelandcoo

I have no doubt they are fine specimens indeed, but surely an all female section is unusual in a band that actually allows men! I'm speaking as a Bb player who has never had the delights of sitting next to one female on bass, never mind two! I'm not being sexist, it was just intriguing to see a change from the norm. Looking forward to doing a bit of research into this at the whits!
Research into how each band's bass section perform, or research into seeing how many bands have girls (!) in them? 'fine specimens' indeed....no....I can clearly see you're not sexist at all...

***rolly polly eyeballs***:-?:-?:-?

jimmymac

My comment was with regard to the bass players of Haslingen and Helmshore who if my memory serves me correctly were male! So I'm not sexist after all!

Heelandcoo

My comment was with regard to the bass players of Haslingen and Helmshore who if my memory serves me correctly were male! So I'm not sexist after all!
I suppose I don't count 'sexism' as being a purely feminine issue...what does it matter whether they're male or female. What should matter is if they were any good at playing! :)

plus...I was only pulling your leg anyway! ;) (sometimes it's difficult to get the 'tone' of a message across in a typewritten format)....no offense meant or intended.

Soz
:oops:

Posh

Please don't pick on jimmymac! I don't think any of his comments on here have been sexist at all, he's just a regular bloke. And we've taken all his comments on board. We've sacked our entire bass section and are now recruiting women only to fill the beastly instruments!!! :D