Butlins - Draw and Results

1st section, to some of the bands i heard 3rd movement was taken slow (160ish) but i think imps took it 200+ sounded realy fast, we took it just under 200, felt the right tempo. i think tempo markings has come up befor in the forums, there just a musical guide?? the main big mistake i heard over and over again was the last movement with the trom and barri tune near the end, why was bands playing the quaver like a fast semi?? surly that helped the judges sort them out because there was afew playing that wrong. anyway just my opinion. was a good day. shame i didnt stay around for the weekend, hopefully be there for the full weekend next year!

tuba1974

1st section, to some of the bands i heard 3rd movement was taken slow (160ish) but i think imps took it 200+ sounded realy fast, we took it just under 200, felt the right tempo. i think tempo markings has come up befor in the forums, there just a musical guide?? the main big mistake i heard over and over again was the last movement with the trom and barri tune near the end, why was bands playing the quaver like a fast semi?? surly that helped the judges sort them out because there was afew playing that wrong. anyway just my opinion. was a good day. shame i didnt stay around for the weekend, hopefully be there for the full weekend next year!
clear some old message from your box I have a message to send you

postie

What a great weekend absolutely over the moon with Bestwood's result 2nd was very well deserved as the band put in a splendid performance. I would like to take the opportunity of congratulating Dronfield on a fine win. The result was just the boost we needed with the area to come in March.

tuba1974

Just like to say, Mr brownbill and Mr hardy, did a great job at Butlins sitting though 24 bands the biggist section again, it must have been a log day for them, to consentrate 8/9 hours must be hard work, once again WELL DONE

Thirteen Ball

It's a bit like Bolivar in the 3:4/6:8 section at the end isn't it? Two bands I heard didn't make the difference between the compound time in the cornets and the hemiolic simple time in the trombones and basses when they join in. It all came accross as one big 6:8 - although neither of them finished highly so the adjudicators clearly picked up on it.

Elliebone

What a great weekend absolutely over the moon with Bestwood's result 2nd was very well deserved as the band put in a splendid performance. I would like to take the opportunity of congratulating Dronfield on a fine win. The result was just the boost we needed with the area to come in March.

Thanks very much for those kind words - we had a great day. The Midlands has always been a strong area and the competition at Bedworth will be strong - that's what makes it interesting. Looking forward to seeing Bestwood there - it's another day, another piece, different adjudicators so anything can happen:)

Kinrao

I sat through the entire first section and very much enjoyed this contest. It was great to see the composer conducting his own work, I did think his band deserved a better placing than they got, but that's only my opinion. I really enjoyed their performance though and it was an novel experience to see his reading of his own music scoreless!

Thanks for the kind comments. We were fairly pleased by the performance, certainly wasn't one that was going to trouble the winners but we knew from the start it would be tough with 17 bands still to follow.

The experience of rehearsing for a contest with a composer was a thoroughly enjoyable one. It's great to see the insight and it really put a different edge on our approach to the music.

Also, it was good to hear so many positive reactions regarding Andrew taking a band at the contest. People were genuinely interested in how he would approach things and saw it as an opportunity. I only had a couple of negative comments around us trying to gain an unfair advantage which was certainly never the intention.

All in all it was a really good event, hats off to Brian and the team.

grausue

One final thing - did any other 1st section bands notice the three spotlights placed directly in the eye-line of the central chairs of the band, right behind the conductor's stand?

They'd been adjusted by he time Faireys played in there on sunday night, but my bass section and I found them horribly bright and very distracting. It made it difficult to pick out the conductor's beat with any degree of precision - although having discussed it with the cornets and euphs/baris/troms it seems those at the sides were largely unaffected - although the Horns did notice a degree of dazzling too.

It would have been the same for all the bands of course, so wouldn't have affected the result in any way - but I did find it to be a distraction and an annoyance - and with the stage lit by 20-odd other lights, surely those three or four were uneccesary.

Yes - I could hardly follow the apparition of the MD! However, I'd forgotten that before you mentioned it. I just followed the drummer as usual. ;)

Sue Grau
Foss Dyke

Chunky

Chunky,

Well done on your 11th place. I heard you play and thought your performance was neat and solid. I thought you might be a bit higer in the placings. Could you pass on best wishes and regards to Mike the Bass trombone from all at Foss Dyke, please?

Sue Grau

Hi Sue I will send your message onto Mike! Thanks also for the comments about the performance. We were pleased with the way we played and to me thats all that matters!

One final thing - did any other 1st section bands notice the three spotlights placed directly in the eye-line of the central chairs of the band, right behind the conductor's stand?

They were an absolute pain. I am surprised nobody complained on the day. However as a bass player not seeing the conductor is not really a bad thing!

critic

Well done Miles you played an absolute stormer yesterday!

I think we acquitted ourselves quite well considering the very short notice we had. The band has put in a tremendous amount of work in in just two and a half weeks. Yes our programme was old stuff but we entertained none the less. If we're back next year then we will really go to town on the Entertainment programme.

On the test piece, Playing the first performance to a full house was also really special, Although I feel we were a bit better than 9th overall. There were some 'car crash' performances that featured higher.

That said it was a weekend full of positives for us.

yes there were positives and you did well. overall over the twodays the top three were deserved winners

critic

That's very democratic, but technically only the top one can be a winner :rolleyes:

CORRECT.THE TOP THREE DESERVED THERE PLACINGS. Credit to all the bands for there hard work over the two days. The test piece placings were more clear cut than th entertainment section

JohnnyEuph

The test piece placings were more clear cut than the entertainment section

;) in your opinion? I heard one band late on that had quite an error strewn time of it. lots of clips right from the start, and in every solo line there were issues, clips + tuning. They did have a massive sound though, - they were in the top 3 . . . That's just my opinion however.

Roger Thorne

Information courtesy of 4BarsRest

Full Results:

Championship Section:
(Set Work/Entertainment)

1. Desford, Russell Gray, (1st/1st) = 2
2. Hepworth (Cookson Homes), Ian Porthouse, (2nd/5th) = 7
3. Redbridge, Jeremy Wise, (6th/2nd) = 8
4. Virtuosi GUS, John Berryman, (5th/4th) = 9
5. EYMS, Alan Morrison, (3rd/7th) = 10
6. Flowers, Paul Holland, (4th/6th) = 10
7. Wingates, Philip Harper, (11th/3rd) = 14
8. Thoresby Colliery, Melvin White, (7th/10th) = 17
9. Hatfield Powerfuel, Graham O'Connor, (8th/9th) = 17
10. Woodfalls, Gareth Pritchard, (9th/8th) = 17
11. Co-operative Milnrow, John Ward, (10th/11th) = 21

There were no penalty time points on any band.
Set Work placing takes precedence in event of tie.

Highest Placed Mining Band: Desford
Geoff Dove Solo Award: Miles Davison (Horn) Powerfuel Hatfield
Most Entertaining Band: Thoresby Colliery

First Section:

1. Jackfield Elcock Reisen, Simon Platford, 4
2. Meltham and Meltham Mills, Stuart Fawcett, 12
3. Vernon Building Society Poynton, Kevin Gibbs, 14
4. Hebden Bridge, Roy Curran, 8
5. Stocksbridge (City of Sheffield), David Holling, 23
6. Cornerstone Brass, Gavin Lamplough, 24
7. Kippax, David Lancaster, 21
8. Haverhill Silver, Mark Ager, 18
9. Yorkshire Imperial, Dave Nesbitt, 1
10. Foresters Brass 2000, Alwyn Green, 17
11. Cawston, Leigh Sharpe, 11
12. Enderby, Jonathon Mott, 13
13. Bedworth Brass, Guy Bennett, 6
14. Foss Dyke, Paul Murrell, 19
15. Ibstock Brick Brass, Huw Thomas, 9
16. Broxburn and Livingston, Andrew Duncan, 7
17. Shirland Miners Welfare, Andrew Dennis, 20
18. Carlton Brass, Walter Ritchie, 3
19. Yorkshire Co-op, Simon Kerwin, 22
20. Langley, Cliff Parker, 15
21. Wigston, Gary Sleath, 5
22. Denham Hendon Brass, Gordon Davies, 10
23. Yiewsley & West Drayton, Christopher Cole, 2
24. Egham, Gareth Green, 16

Highest placed Mining Band: Kippax

Second Section:

1. East London Brass, Jayne Murrill, 12
2. Haslingden and Helmshore, David Holland, 8
3. South Yorkshire Police, Leigh Baker, 6
4. Becontree Brass, Keith Schroeter, 3
5. Matlock, Geoff Hawley, 14
6. Middleton, Matthew Stringer, 4
7. Leicester Co-op SMW, Graham Jacklin, 10
8. Alder Valley Brass, Roger Burke, 2
9. Dodworth Colliery MW, Elliott Darwin, 5
10. Flixton, Steve Curtis, 15
11. Tylorstown, Gary Davies, 9
12. Lewis Merthyr, Gareth Pritchard, 7
13. Hopkins Blidworth, Martin Heartfield, 11
14. Waterbeach Brass, James Utting, 13
15. NW Ellington Colliery, Jonathon Fenwick, 1

Highest Placed Miners Band: Leicester Co-op SMW, Graham Jacklin

Third Section:

1. Delph, Jonathan Davies, 11
2. Hitchin, Craig Patterson,3
3. Amington, Wesley Kendrick, 10
4. Burbage (Buxton), Steve Critchley, 9
5. Shirebrook MW Unison, Mark Wilcockson, 14
6. Pemberton Old DW 'B', Peter Ashley, 6
7. Fulham Brass, Simon Jones, 5
8. Whitworth Vale and Healey, CJ Bradley, 13
9. Hucknall & Linby, Paul Whyley, 12
10. Watford, Richard Graves, 8
11. Tewkesbury Town, Nigel Morgan, 15
12. Stamford Brass, Robert Prew, 1
13. Hemel Hempstead, David Klein, 7
14. Maltby Miners Welfare, Terry Clifford, 4
15. Thorseby Colliery Youth, Christine Gent, 2

Highest Placed Mining Band: Amington Band

Fourth Section:

1. Dronfield Colliery MW, John Davis, 12
2. Bestwood Black Diamonds, Brian Draper, 4
3. Thurcroft Welfare, Ken Vernon, 5
4. Ireland Colliery (Chesterfield), 1
5. Greenfield Brass, Stuart Black, 11
6. Rivington and Adlington, Malcolm Wilson, 6
7. Royston Town, Steve Early, 2
8. Huddersfield and Ripponden Brass, Tony Jaegar-Fozard, 8
9. Whitwell Brass, David Fretwell, 9
10. Fulbourn and Teversham RBL, Peter Mackley, 10
11. Melton, Graham Sutton, 13
12. Kingsway Printers Cleethorpes, Steven Askew, 3
13. Banovallum Brass, Steve Ingham, 7

Highest Placed Mining Band: Dronfield

Youth Section:

1. Youth Brass 2000, Chris Jeans, 6
2. Lions Youth Brass, Nigel Birch, 1
3. Enderby Youth, Trevor Hounsome, 3
4. Shirland Miners Welfare, Andrew Dennis, 2

Unplaced:

Coleshill Town Youth, Stephen Fagg, 4
Gresley Colliery Youth, Peter Hylton, 5

:tup

Chris Hicks

From what i heard of the set test on the saturday, i don't think there'd be much to argue with, i did only hear up to band number 9 though, so can't comment on the last two. There was a suprise in one of the higher placing for me, but thats what you get with contesting!

Didn't hear many on the sunday so can't really comment on that result there i'm afraid. But from what i heard, a most deserved victory for Desford! Well done lads and lasses!

Zappa

Maybe some MD's and players been in Jaks till X o'clock didn't help. If you're gonna do that the night before no problem ... But make sure you can handle your beer and still play or wag to your required standard the following day! LOL :biggrin:

iRyan

;) in your opinion? I heard one band late on that had quite an error strewn time of it. lots of clips right from the start, and in every solo line there were issues, clips + tuning. They did have a massive sound though, - they were in the top 3 . . . That's just my opinion however.

I agree aswell, however it was pretty damn exciting, tight stuff how they played it in the faster stuff in my opinion!
Well done to Desford anyway, they sounded great on the Saturday!