Butlins - Draw and Results

kelster

In fact thanks to Ian and Roger too who have also added their congratulations. Obviously I am one very delighted MD.

To Jackfield Band..... GET IN!!!!:tup

Thanks Ian and Roger. What a fantastic day. We are also one very delighted band
:D:D

Congrats to Blondie, Heather, Bagpuss and all at East London Brass for their continuing success :clap:

Laserbeam bass

Results courtesy of 4BR

Second Section:

Venue: Lakeside, Butlins Skyline Resort
Date: Saturday, 23rd January
Test Piece: Folkmusic (Keith Wardle)
Adjudicators: Richard Marshall and Kevin Wadsworth

1. East London Brass, Jayne Murrill, 12
2. Haslingden and Helmshore, David Holland, 8
3. South Yorkshire Police, Leigh Baker, 6
4. Becontree Brass, Keith Schroeter, 3

Please note the conductor of Becontree.

If Mr Bale is reading this, would you please see if you can get this amended on 4BR as well.

Ta

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterBale

Staff member
Please note the conductor of Becontree.

If Mr Bale is reading this, would you please see if you can get this amended on 4BR as well.

Ta

I'll see what I can do ;)

Regarding the full results, not sure what the delay is, but I'm not certain who has actually gone to Butlins, with the RNCM Festival going on at the same time.

iancwilx

sorry, I'm sure you're point is an excellent one, but what is it exactly?

I'm sorry.
It refers to an earlier discourse I was having with Steve Butlrerr about all bands being equally affected by bad weather conditions in the rehearsal run up to the contest.

- Mr Wilx

StellaJohnson

Just a thought - a few odd results are only to be expected this year with such disruption to bands preparation due to the bad weather. Taking nothing away from successful bands of course, but I would'nt read too much into the odd unexpected placing or two.

I personally made 2 rehearsals because of the weather :)

The Wherryman

Most of the bands had the same nationwide disruptions so I guess that makes it an even playing field.- Mr Wilx (With great respect)
I'm sorry, that should that be "Level playing field" - doh ?- Mr Wilx
...or level playing field, even.
sorry, I'm sure you're point is an excellent one, but what is it exactly?
Yes, you were quick off the mark there, but not quick enough - I corrected it one minute before you pointed it out - a photo finish, but I win by a short head !!- Mr Wilx
Oh dear. It appears that my attempt to sow some gentle humour fell on fallow ground.

Bayerd, I wasn't making any point.

Mr Wilx, I wasn't correcting you, you had already corrected yourself.

I had merely taken the words used in both phrases, 'even', 'level', 'playing' and 'field' and included them in one sentence instead of two. Clearly, my play on words was just a bit too subtle...

iancwilx

Oh dear. It appears that my attempt to sow some gentle humour fell on fallow ground.

Bayerd, I wasn't making any point.

Mr Wilx, I wasn't correcting you, you had already corrected yourself.

I had merely taken the words used in both phrases, 'even', 'level', 'playing' and 'field' and included them in one sentence instead of two. Clearly, my play on words was just a bit too subtle...

I did sense something flying over my head !

I think we should draw a (subtle) veil over this now and move on.

- Mr Wilx

barrytone

Congratulations to all the winners and the placed bands, had a very enjoyable weekend, first time I've ever been and certainly lifted the post-Christmas blues. Very well organised from start to finish, think the £14 for a day ticket is a bit steep, although you can stay all day and enjoy all the facilities, can't help feeling that those who only came to play and then left were a bit hard done by but not sure how you get round that.

I sat through the entire first section and very much enjoyed this contest. It was great to see the composer conducting his own work, I did think his band deserved a better placing than they got, but that's only my opinion. I really enjoyed their performance though and it was an novel experience to see his reading of his own music scoreless!

The one thing that was disappointing was how many bands were well under the 200 met marking in the third movement, I had a metronome in my hand so know this to be the case. To me, this was one of the main tests of this movement, play it slower and it's easy, to keep it going is hard. It would have been interesting to see if the bands who slowed it down considerably and played it reasonably clean could have achieved the same result had the tempo been nearer the 200 mark.

Anyway that contesting, for the prize winners and the placed, well done; for those further down in the results try to remember a poor result doesn't mean a poor band, it's just two people's opinion on a certain day; two different people and another day and who knows? Contesting is not the be all and the end all of banding, there's so much more to it and that.

Last edited:

grausue

Chunky,

Well done on your 11th place. I heard you play and thought your performance was neat and solid. I thought you might be a bit higer in the placings. Could you pass on best wishes and regards to Mike the Bass trombone from all at Foss Dyke, please?

Sue Grau

JohnnyEuph

Well done Miles you played an absolute stormer yesterday!

I think we acquitted ourselves quite well considering the very short notice we had. The band has put in a tremendous amount of work in in just two and a half weeks. Yes our programme was old stuff but we entertained none the less. If we're back next year then we will really go to town on the Entertainment programme.

On the test piece, Playing the first performance to a full house was also really special, Although I feel we were a bit better than 9th overall. There were some 'car crash' performances that featured higher.

That said it was a weekend full of positives for us.

Last edited:

IJK

Well done to Dronfield and John Davis

disappointed with 4th as the band played very well but off a number 1 draw not to disppointed. But we still came away with £500 for 4th

Elliebone

Thanks to IJK, Pythagoras and Chris for your good wishes. Also to the masses of people who cheered and supported Dronfield on Saturday afternoon. It was a fantastic day all round and a real joy to perform in Centre Stage to so many people and be so well received.

Thanks again to John Davis - what he has done for Dronfield Band in the past 12 months is miraculous and best of all it has been great fun.

Congratulations to the whole team for a job well done - and a very special mention to Sarah on Euph who was a total star in her first ever contest. :clap:

Anyway, enough of all that....isn't there some piece by Philip Sparke lurking in the pad for Thursday night????

Onwards and upwards guys......

Thirteen Ball

Congratulations to all the winners and the placed bands, had a very enjoyable weekend, first time I've ever been and certainly lifted the post-Christmas blues. Very well organised from start to finish, think the £14 for a day ticket is a bit steep, although you can stay all day and enjoy all the facilities, can't help feeling that those who only came to play and then left were a bit hard done by but not sure how you get round that.

I sat through the entire first section and very much enjoyed this contest. It was great to see the composer conducting his own work, I did think his band deserved a better placing than they got, but that's only my opinion. I really enjoyed their performance though and it was an novel experience to see his reading of his own music scoreless!

The one thing that was disappointing was how many bands were well under the 200 met marking in the third movement, I had a metronome in my hand so know this to be the case. To me, this was one of the main tests of this movement, play it slower and it's easy, to keep it going is hard. It would have been interesting to see if the bands who slowed it down considerably and played it reasonably clean could have achieved the same result had the tempo been nearer the 200 mark.

Anyway that contesting, for the prize winners and the placed, well done; for those further down in the results try to remember a poor result doesn't mean a poor band, it's just two people's opinion on a certain day; two different people and another day and who knows? Contesting is not the be all and the end all of banding, there's so much more to it and that.

Ian Hayto and I were discussing this very point before the contest. It's interesting to note that those bands (including the band conducted by the composer himself) who made the effort to even approach the tempo marking appear to have been penalised for it - whereas those who played it slower, but cleaner have finished higher up.

On another day this could easily have been reversed - but whilever adjudication is a subjective matter, this wil always happen. Conductors have to make a judgement based on the capabilities of their band to stick to the score, and hope that the adjudicator decides they made the right choice. I suppose if the tempo is not enormously pedestrian it's only right to go for the cleanest performance overall. And one or two of those that made the effort to at least approach the tempo marking were distinctly the muddier for it.

One final thing - did any other 1st section bands notice the three spotlights placed directly in the eye-line of the central chairs of the band, right behind the conductor's stand?

They'd been adjusted by he time Faireys played in there on sunday night, but my bass section and I found them horribly bright and very distracting. It made it difficult to pick out the conductor's beat with any degree of precision - although having discussed it with the cornets and euphs/baris/troms it seems those at the sides were largely unaffected - although the Horns did notice a degree of dazzling too.

It would have been the same for all the bands of course, so wouldn't have affected the result in any way - but I did find it to be a distraction and an annoyance - and with the stage lit by 20-odd other lights, surely those three or four were uneccesary.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.