Butlins and Final Test pieces announced

Darth_Tuba

Hmmm... the hymn tune sections are good, but I find the cadenza sections a bit pointless musically to be honest. I don't think it's a terrible piece by any means, just not my sort of thing.

bassinthebathroom

scott clark said:
I do hope the new test piece by Michael Ball is'nt as bad as Whitsun wakes which i found rubbish. Also Ballet for band is a good piece just played to often :roll:

Personally, I don't think Ballet for Band is played at contests enough. Great piece.

Vickitorious

Andy_Euph said:
Sorry for previous outburst :D I was just hoping for a "biggy" piece, but after just having a flick through the score Chaucher's Tune should be canny, should suit my band quite well... lets just hope the guys in the box don't need new batteries that day :D

Ooh, you've got a score. We haven't :cry: Our secretary has ordered it but I'm going on holiday tomorrow so won't be at band when they get it out! :cry: So, pretty please, can you tell me whats in it for solo horn? :D

Andy_Euph

Vickitorious said:
Andy_Euph said:
Sorry for previous outburst :D I was just hoping for a "biggy" piece, but after just having a flick through the score Chaucher's Tune should be canny, should suit my band quite well... lets just hope the guys in the box don't need new batteries that day :D

Ooh, you've got a score. We haven't :cry: Our secretary has ordered it but I'm going on holiday tomorrow so won't be at band when they get it out! :cry: So, pretty please, can you tell me whats in it for solo horn? :D

There is nothing in it really (technically) for any competant player.... which you obviously are! Its a band piece, there is some solo work but mostly euph and cornet, but alot of the work is sections playing together...should be ok.

Good Luck for September and I hope you look forward to coming behind us :twisted:

MoominDave

bassinthebathroom said:
Personally, I don't think Ballet for Band is played at contests enough. Great piece.

Ballet for Band at contests in recent years - set work at:

Butlins 1st section 2004
Pontins 2002
Wilkinsons 2002
Reading 2000
1st section Areas 1997

and probably several more that passed me by. I'd say that's verging on OTT, personally, good piece of music though it is.

It is also too difficult for a 1st section contest - witness the carnage when it was set at the areas in that section. Many top section bands have produced thoroughly ropy performances of it on the contest stage - it really is deceptively hard.

Also glad to see that we have Kidlington band uniformity of opinion on 'Whitsun Wakes'... My views on it are already on record...
Let's hope Mr Ball's new piece is a better one! Not that it affects us...

bassinthebathroom

MoominDave said:
bassinthebathroom said:

Ballet for Band at contests in recent years - set work at:

Butlins 1st section 2004
Pontins 2002
Wilkinsons 2002
Reading 2000
1st section Areas 1997

and probably several more that passed me by. I'd say that's verging on OTT, personally, good piece of music though it is.

Ah well.... only ever knew about Pontins 2002... :oops: thats my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it

Borfeo

I have to say, I am absolutely chuffed to bits that the 4th section has pulled a Sparke piece. I think we've definitely landed on our feet, although I'm gonna have to shave my head and start praying to the higher powers to make head nor tail out of the score, lol.

Buddha-tastic!!

PeterBale

Staff member
Deano said:
Anybody out there know anything about Verona Lights,

like who wrote it, who published it?

According to BBW it's a newly-commissioned work by Bruce Fraser.

Bluebottle

"The King of Elfland's Daughter"?! sounds interesting.....will see soon enuf i guess! anyone know what it's like 4 percussion?! :?: :roll:

nickjones

Bluebottle said:
"The King of Elfland's Daughter"?! sounds interesting.....will see soon enuf i guess! anyone know what it's like 4 percussion?! :?: :roll:

Well Rodney Newton was or still might be the percussion tutor for the National Youth Brass Band of Wales , and the pieces I have played seem to have very subtle but brilliant perc parts....

Andy_Euph

stephen_clapton said:
Has anybody heard Diamond Heritage?? Is it hard, and more importantly, are the cornet solos easy?! :D

Its quite a big blow in places especially the end and be glad your not a sop player. The piece is based around the miners hymn Gresford.

As for cornet solo...your gonna need balls of steel, first 4 or so bars are unaccompanied solo cornet whose then joined by the bumper up for about another 8 bars :twisted:

IYOUNG

As for cornet solo...your gonna need balls of steel, first 4 or so bars are unaccompanied solo cornet whose then joined by the bumper up for about another 8 bars :twisted:[/quote]

Over to Chris then :D

the king of Elflands daughter is a cracking piece!!
loads for everyone!!!
opens up with horn and baritone i fink!! loads for principal cornet and euph!!
and loads of high load stuff for stuff for sop!! :lol: :lol:
percussion parts sound ok, nowhere near as hard as coventry but theres an unaccompnied glock/xylo (cant tell the difference!!!) solo that sounds quite kewl!!

WorldofBrass.com

PeterBale said:
Ballet for Band is on an all-Horowitz recording from CWS Glasgow

We're getting this back into stock, and back on the website, in the next few days.
I'll post again when it is back on the website.
In the meantime, if you'd like a copy from us, please send me an email or PM.