Dave Payn

imthemaddude said:
from the bandsman also:

Champ: David Read, Michael Bal, Malcolm Brownbill
1st Section: Richard Evans and Tony swainson
2nd: John Maines and Colin Hardy
3rd: C. Brian Buckley and Derek Broadbent
4th: Alan Hope and Frank Renton

Damn! After 4brs rant about certain 'non qualified' types judging at the Europeans I was hoping the National bods would go one better and appoint somone like an ice skating judge, just to be radical! :twisted: :lol:

geordiecolin

Dave Payn said:
imthemaddude said:
according to the bandsman:

Champ: All the flowers of the mountain - Michael Ball
1st: Symphonic poem - Rodney Newton
2nd: Chaucer's tunes - Michael Ball
3rd: Diamond Heritage - Darrol Barry
4th: Four Noble truths - Philip Sparke
I must admit, I don't know any of the pieces chosen, but already I'm beginning to feel sorry for the test piece selectors! Rumours were rife about arrangements being selected with the accompanying gripes, so they choose original brass band works across the board and...... poor sods can't win! Personally, though I'd have loved it if the 4th section had got Suite Gothique (an arrangement) I'm glad all original brass band works have been chosen. Still, as it's the First time Fulham have qualified for the National Finals, we'll take whatever's been offered regardless! We're just glad to be taking part! ;-)

I believe Chaucer's Tunes is a transcription from Wind Band!

Andy_Euph

Sorry for previous outburst :D I was just hoping for a "biggy" piece, but after just having a flick through the score Chaucher's Tune should be canny, should suit my band quite well... lets just hope the guys in the box don't need new batteries that day :D

Dave Payn

geordiecolin said:
Dave Payn said:
imthemaddude said:
according to the bandsman:

Champ: All the flowers of the mountain - Michael Ball
1st: Symphonic poem - Rodney Newton
2nd: Chaucer's tunes - Michael Ball
3rd: Diamond Heritage - Darrol Barry
4th: Four Noble truths - Philip Sparke
I must admit, I don't know any of the pieces chosen, but already I'm beginning to feel sorry for the test piece selectors! Rumours were rife about arrangements being selected with the accompanying gripes, so they choose original brass band works across the board and...... poor sods can't win! Personally, though I'd have loved it if the 4th section had got Suite Gothique (an arrangement) I'm glad all original brass band works have been chosen. Still, as it's the First time Fulham have qualified for the National Finals, we'll take whatever's been offered regardless! We're just glad to be taking part! ;-)

I believe Chaucer's Tunes is a transcription from Wind Band!

Fair point, Colin, but also bear in mind that a lot of well known Philip Sparke works are available for both brass and wind bands! (He says desperately trying to find a way to squirm out of that one! ;-))

geordiecolin

imthemaddude said:
2nd: John Maines and Colin Hardy

Grrr, not only has Colin Hardy got a name far far too similar to my own (Colin Harding) for his own good, he was the cause of the perhaps the greatest banding traversty I've personally been involved with at Killamarsh Entertainments a year or so back, where Dronfield got marked down for entertaining!!

The omens! The omens! :(

geordiecolin

Andy_Euph said:
Sorry for previous outburst :D I was just hoping for a "biggy" piece, but after just having a flick through the score Chaucher's Tune should be canny, should suit my band quite well... lets just hope the guys in the box don't need new batteries that day :D

Do you live in a band library or summit? Can't say that i've got any random scores to hand....

Andy_Euph

geordiecolin said:
Andy_Euph said:

Do you live in a band library or summit? Can't say that i've got any random scores to hand....

Nah just have a score of it in the house... not gonna say its easy (never EVER count your chickens) but every band, in my opinion, should play it.

As for the judges i'm with you there Colin... I've also been at some contests where Mr Hardy has upset the apple cart!

tubafran

Sorry Colin cannot let you get away with that comment about the Killamarsh Entertainment Contest. Dronfield played for 3 minutes longer than was allowed in the rules - penalty of 10 points. The conductor did too much talking.

We all thought your shirts were exceptionally entertaining and if we had points for most colourfull band you'd have won.

At the end of the day that contest also included singers, bango players, organist etc but Dronfield just went for the shirts. I will happily send you a copy of the rules for you to reconsider your opinion and the time-keepers record.

By the way I may now have to re-think your membership of MMF - Rule 1 Dissent will not be allowed - consequence of failure to adhere to Rule 1 will be serious.

Dave Payn

Dave Payn said:
Fair point, Colin, but also bear in mind that a lot of well known Philip Sparke works are available for both brass and wind bands! (He says desperately trying to find a way to squirm out of that one! ;-))

AND.... Diadem of Gold. Listed as an arrangement (of a wind band piece) but I'd say almost thought of as a composition - on the basis that...has anyone ever heard the original?

OK, I'll shut up now! (for now....) ;-)

geordiecolin

tubafran said:
Sorry Colin cannot let you get away with that comment about the Killamarsh Entertainment Contest. Dronfield played for 3 minutes longer than was allowed in the rules - penalty of 10 points. The conductor did too much talking.

We all thought your shirts were exceptionally entertaining and if we had points for most colourfull band you'd have won.

At the end of the day that contest also included singers, bango players, organist etc but Dronfield just went for the shirts. I will happily send you a copy of the rules for you to reconsider your opinion and the time-keepers record.

By the way I may now have to re-think your membership of MMF - Rule 1 Dissent will not be allowed - consequence of failure to adhere to Rule 1 will be serious.

:roll: :roll:

*mutters into bottle of water* *self moderated*

tubafran

Ok mate will accept that the matter is closed. Having taken the issue of your dissent to the Executive Committe and offered your post we will allow your continued membership of the MMF. I think they must need their eyes testing but as you know most of these things are run by BOCs.

Anyway good luck with the test pieces for Harrogate and Butlins.

geordiecolin

Just one last final off-topic message... all of the above between myself and tuba_fran were made in jest!! No disrespect was meant to Colin Hardy or Killamarsh entertaiments contest (which is a great contest).

Sorry if it all reads the wrong way or has offended anyone!

bassinthebathroom

Dave Euph

Nope, haven't heard of any of those pieces! But they're all by good/well-known composers so I can imagine it's going to be a cracking contest! :)

scott clark

I do hope the new test piece by Michael Ball is'nt as bad as Whitsun wakes which i found rubbish. Also Ballet for band is a good piece just played to often :roll:

Darth_Tuba

Neither Whitsun Wakes nor Ceremony fill me with confidence for this one being any good... but like I say I will reserve judgement on it 'til later this year.

nickjones

Whitsun Wakes is a great piece..just because you may have had a bad experience with some music , dont make it bad...It has everything u need for a test piece , style , technique , musicallity , cadenza's , and a massive ending...and it is audience friendly too....