46.09Royston Town50/1

1st2nd3rd4th5th6th
Paddy FlowerPleasleyGreenfieldMarket RMaltbyCoppullDeepcar
4barsrest.comGreenfieldCoppullWhitwellMarket RThurcroftJayess
all4brass.comPleasleyMarket RMeltonMaltbyThurcroftDeepcar
The Fantasy LeagueCoppullPleasleyMarket RGreenfieldMarkhamThurcroft

rutty

What an ace weekend :D

Well done to those that turned up. It's still my favourite banding event of the year.

Came last! Didn't think we played that badly, but I enjoyed our performance and it's a shame we didn't do better. Lots of constructive criticism from one of the adjudicators (Foales) and some illegible scribble from the other one. Can't really complain - it wasn't good enough.

Still, we've both won and come last here - got to be a record?

See you all next year in the Sun and Moon :D

marksmith

Good to see so many bands get over to Skeggy, despite terrible travelling conditions.
Central Midlands bands would have struggled, took me from 11 til 4 to travel less than 20 miles, on Friday.
Congratulations to the prize winners.

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
A great weekend as ever despite the weather and our result! As one person commented "If that's how Brighton celebrate when they come 10th, god knows what they would be like if they won!".My thanks to @mrsh and the guys and gals of Brighton & Hove City Brass for the invite - they are a fab bunch of people to spend a weekend with.
I must also pay tribute to the Flugel player of Boarshurst who spotted our Principal cornet and came over to tell him how well he had played - that was a really nice thing to do and is exactly what the spirit of banding is all about.
I didn't listen to many bands but did see the MF Legacy band - who were very good especially their bass player who was awesome! As for Chad Shoopman - he did indeed get a lot of high notes but when it comes to accuracy of hitting them, he's no Wayne Bergeron! The 2nd trumpet played some very tasteful jazz too.
I did manage to catch Woodfalls entertainment program which was very entertaining and I thought their PC had a lovely sound.

Great to catch up with people - Andy Ellis, Lyn Johnson, Chunky and David Lancaster to name a few.

Looking forward to next year!

MoominDave

Good to see so many bands get over to Skeggy, despite terrible travelling conditions.
Central Midlands bands would have struggled, took me from 11 til 4 to travel less than 20 miles, on Friday.

It was Northampton's early rush hour that did for us. Left Oxford at 11.45, arrived in Skegness at 8.30. In contrast, another player in our band left at 5.30 and arrived at 9. The roads really weren't that bad once all the numpties got off them...

ben16

Out of curiosity, what did people think of the Wingates entertainment programme? Surely the most 'interesting' performance of the weekend?

I thought it was an amazingly adventurous choice and very well put together, and therefore deserved a heck of a lot more than it finally got. Especially compared to the other programmes I saw which were generally lacking in entertainment value of any kind, and probably put together under severe time constraints.
Having said that, I didn't personally like the music at all, and it was quite monotonous throughout, and it was hard to understand what was going on. Also it didn't really show off the band.

damarocto

Out of curiosity, what did people think of the Wingates entertainment programme? Surely the most 'interesting' performance of the weekend?

I thought it was an amazingly adventurous choice and very well put together, and therefore deserved a heck of a lot more than it finally got. Especially compared to the other programmes I saw which were generally lacking in entertainment value of any kind, and probably put together under severe time constraints.
Having said that, I didn't personally like the music at all, and it was quite monotonous throughout, and it was hard to understand what was going on. Also it didn't really show off the band.

I completely agree with your opinion Ben, about the" entertainment" program. I think that Butlins should change the name of this contest day to " Playing a series of concert music to a contest standard, er day"!!! it seems to me that the bands that try to entertain get slated. I sat and listened all but the last band on yesterday, and it seems to me that I wasnt the only one to enjoy entertaining performances that didnt strike a chord with the judges. Im sorry but there is no way that the winners of the day (no disrespect to gus)were the most entertaining to most of the audience.

damarocto

By the way I did agree with 1 result, The soloist prize. Kirsty was superb but she was run close IMO by the bass player from my favourite performance (redbridge)

Anno Draconis

I'm biased, because I've just finished with the band and the last thing I did was take a couple of rehearsals on "Episodes" but I think it's an outstandingly clever, witty, inventive and provocative piece of music, full of new sounds and ideas. However, I suspect it probably takes a few listens to really get the hang of it. Mr McGhee doesn't pull his punches when it comes to dissonance, that's for sure. If you can, listen to it again.

I wasn't there yesterday, so I can only go on second hand reports, but from what I've heard I believe they played it very well (in terms of handling the technical aspects of it etc.). I'm left wondering how an interestingly left-field choice like that gets so comprehensively beaten by (for example) performances of "Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair" or "Blenheim Flourishes". No disrespect to the bands concerned, they clearly did the right thing picking old favourites rather than trying to innovate, but really? 30-40 year old music being rewarded at a contest where Read himself asked for bands to be more innovative only a few years ago? Worries me, it really does.

ben16

I think it's an outstandingly clever, witty, inventive and provocative piece of music, full of new sounds and ideas. However, I suspect it probably takes a few listens to really get the hang of it. Mr McGhee doesn't pull his punches when it comes to dissonance, that's for sure. If you can, listen to it again.
May be true. I didn't hear enough variety or new ideas for my liking in 30 minutes. I don't mind a bit of dissonance in general. If I was trying to properly judge it I would find it hard to assess, I have to say. At the end of the performance I still don't know what the band sounds like, if the soloists are any good, etc. * I do know that preparing and playing something like that takes some doing.

* actually I am sad enough to have also heard them on saturday so I do know...

ben16

By the way I did agree with 1 result, The soloist prize. Kirsty was superb but she was run close IMO by the bass player from my favourite performance (redbridge)
I can't agree about redbridge though, I found their show very tedious (honourable exception: the hand bells item) and surprisingly untuneful in places as well. The soloist did play very well but his item did not work and to be honest, if I never hear another tuba/trombone playing a technical violin (or even cornet) solo and thinking it is entertaining, it will still be too soon.

Sadly Kirsty wasn't as appealing as a lie in after a heavy night so I missed her. That reminds me of one final point: why on earth don't they let people in and out between pieces at Butlins? that was insane! and they did used to allow it.

Chris Hicks

David read and mike fowles were there to judge the playing aspect of Sundays contest. Chad was judging the entertainment side of things (thanks for the prize chad) and this had no affect on the actual result of that side of the contest.

Congrats go to GUS on the win, didn't hear anyone in our section all weekend, but we'd heard you played really!

As for our band, we played really well, not much more we could have done in our defence of the title, but we're still very pleased to have come 2nd and scoop the entertainments prize!

DobX Dave

Out of curiosity, what did people think of the Wingates entertainment programme? Surely the most 'interesting' performance of the weekend?QUOTE]

Personally, I have never been so bored and was certainly not entertained.

I would have fell asleep but unfortunately I was kept awake by the chap sitting in front of me who was snoring rather loudly.

I did not want to be musically educated either. Sorry, on this occasion your choice was way off the mark ~ which was reflected by the applause also.

Ste69

I really enjoyed the weekend. Especially playing on the Sunday as i love the atmosphere. Sadly we weren't a big hit with any of the judges this year but i think the crowd enjoyed it.

Out of curiosity, what did people think of the Wingates entertainment programme? Surely the most 'interesting' performance of the weekend?QUOTE]

Personally, I have never been so bored and was certainly not entertained.

I would have fell asleep but unfortunately I was kept awake by the chap sitting in front of me who was snoring rather loudly.

I did not want to be musically educated either. Sorry, on this occasion your choice was way off the mark ~ which was reflected by the applause also.

Stick to Floral Dance I say.