Butlins 2012

Andy_Euph

I agree that the timing of Butlins makes for a busy start to the year(!), but to be fair, I believe the regional date was changed. Of course that's their perogative but it smacks of the usual lack of communication in the upper echelons of our movement. (Sorry I said movement there which implies a group of people moving together which hardly describes brass banding at the moment).

Its a real shame as it deprives a good contest of bands from the North West - one of our strongest regions.

As for the date of Butlins itself - I imagine the camp is still open to hardy souls who want to holiday in Skegness in September. October (and September) would similarly clash with the finals, November clashes with Brass in Concert, the Wilkinson's contest and Leicester and the WMBBA contest (Leamington as was) December is a no-no for obvious reasons. So its difficult for them to find a date in their closed season that doesn't clash with already established events. Thinking about it though even the January date clashes with the RNCM weekend, plus the proximity of the NW regionals.

So while the thought of the East Coast in January hardly fills me with anticipation (weather wise I mean), its probably the only date available given the various other events in the calendar.

I personally wouldn't mind a return to the traditional early November date. When the CISWO contest was held in November it was always pretty well attended. Now that Pontins is no more, there is no major conflicting contests that would stop it being moved back. I know you highlighted a few local contests in or around the date, but again when Pontins was held at the end of October bands, especially in the north west, seemed to be able to manage them all.

That said i'm not sure the weather would be any better at that time of year! :)

ploughboy

I personally wouldn't mind a return to the traditional early November date. When the CISWO contest was held in November it was always pretty well attended. Now that Pontins is no more, there is no major conflicting contests that would stop it being moved back. I know you highlighted a few local contests in or around the date, but again when Pontins was held at the end of October bands, especially in the north west, seemed to be able to manage them all.

That said i'm not sure the weather would be any better at that time of year! :)

But it's not like Butlins is suffering from low attendance . . only if they have a problem with falling numbers would they be prompted to look at a change of date I suspect.

towse1972

There are probably more than that Tat but i would suggest that the Championship won't have any bands from the North West! A test piece and an entertainment programme to get together whilst preparing for the areas.......No thanks!

Bayerd

There are probably more than that Tat but i would suggest that the Championship won't have any bands from the North West! A test piece and an entertainment programme to get together whilst preparing for the areas.......No thanks!

You'd have thought that, unfortunately I was out-voted, there'll be at least one.....

towse1972

Hahahahahahaha....enjoy! I have to ay i hate it. If your not on stage your rehearsing or lumping percussion around......I wouldn't mind if it was just the one day!

Anno Draconis

Its too early in the year when your area is the last weekend in Feb. The timing is just off. This would be much better attended in April or September/October.

Although, an April contest would similarly clash with the Shield/Cup/Trophy preparations for a lot of Champ/1st bands, especially if Easter is late - because of the late Easter break, we started rehearsing Titan's in early April this year. Sept/Oct clashes with finals preparation, November with any number of contests AND it's held in low season because it fills chalets when nobody in their right mind would otherwise contemplate a weekend on the lash in Skeggy.

I quite enjoy it; it blows the cobwebs out and gets the brain in gear for the contesting - especially as we won't have done a contest since the Shield. We've got a month after Butlins to work on the area piece and to be honest, I can't really be bothered with pieces after more than a month's rehearsal anyway. I'm quite looking forward to going back to Butlins; the only drawback is the shocking top section testpiece. Un Vie de Spamalot is nearly as bad as Life Divine, in my book.

Donna, you're getting as miserable as Birdy in your old age ;)

Hahahahahahaha....enjoy! I have to ay i hate it. If your not on stage your rehearsing or lumping percussion around......I wouldn't mind if it was just the one day!

I quite enjoy it (especially playing on both days) but unless you come at least 2nd it is simply too expensive for the band.

BarneyEuph

Understand that there are 25 bands in the first section. Playing in reds from 10AM. Adjudicators to be Richard Marshall and Steve Sykes.

Steve

euphalogy

Why is it a secret of whose going:? 18 Bands in the 4th is as interesting as the list of adjudicators for the week end!!.

tubafran

Can anyone say if the prize money has been paid to all winners of last years contest?

I'm sure we recieved ours, are you perhaps confusing it with the Pontins contest where as far as I know the much hyped £35,000 worth of prize money didnt go to a single winning band.:(