Butlins 2011

Thirteen Ball

Did anyone else find 4BR's comments on the entertainments uneccesarily harsh and miserable?

I particularly quote their repeated slating of the eventual winners of the most entertaining band prize, EYMS, with no other justification than the fact they tried to inject some light-heartedness into the programme.

If Iwan Fox were to attempt to justify his vitriolic remarks by saying he wanted some serious musicianship as well... then it was already there. I mean, they took home the soloist prize. And on a beautifully crafted slow melody as well.

Likewise the pointless jibes at blackburn and Darwen's euph player for the donning an Afro wig for the solo in 'All night long.' Did lionel ritchie ever have an Afro as big as that?" Bleats Fox. Well yes, he did. Google images mate, it's a great resource. And you completely ignored the fact that the lad played really well!!

I heard four bands back to back and all of them put on a great show and received nothing but a verbal kicking for it from 4BR.

Mr Fox, there really was no need....

Last edited:

Ste69

Did anyone else find 4BR's comments on the entertainments uneccesarily harsh and miserable?

I particularly quote their repeated slating of the eventual winners of the most entertaining band prize, EYMS, with no other justification than the fact they tried to inject some light-heartedness into the programme.

If Iwan Fox were to attempt to justify his vitriolic remarks by saying he wanted some serious musicianship as well... then it was already there. I mean, they took home the soloist prize. And on a beautifully crafted slow melody as well.

Likewise the pointless jibes at blackburn and Darwen's euph player for the donning an Afro wig for the solo in 'All night long.' Did lionel ritchie ever have an Afro as big as that?" Bleats Fox. Well yes, he did. Google images mate, it's a great resource. And you completely ignored the fact that the lad played really well!!

I heard four bands back to back and all of them put on a great show and received nothing but a verbal kicking for it from 4BR.

Mr Fox, there really was no need....

ThirteenBall - I love you!!!!!
Mr Fox - Not so sure!!!

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated mate! :clap:

JamesFountain94

Iwan Fox did well with his predictions this year..

Ryan, i have suspicions on how much he knew, for example he said in the entertainments programme commentary at half way he had redbridge out in front ahead of both GUS and desford, however come the final results he predicted GUS to win the entertainments day with desford then redbridge...
Suspicious to say the least?

JamesFountain94

I was really disappointed with the standard in the champ section this year. I have been attending skeggy for 5 years now and I was really surprised in the drop in standard from last year. Anyone else find feel the same?

I didnt hear one band play the piece well. But i think the music was so bad that it was hard to maintain any standard throughout the piece as it felt like 22 minutes of musical hell

or thats how it felt when we played it

Ryan, i have suspicions on how much he knew, for example he said in the entertainments programme commentary at half way he had redbridge out in front ahead of both GUS and desford, however come the final results he predicted GUS to win the entertainments day with desford then redbridge...

Interesting.

1) Half way prediction is no longer there.

2) The site was down for a few hours last night.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but......

Cornet_Matt

He said that Flowers' "finale may just have cost them £7,000", and then went on to predict them to win.

I also feel sorry for Thoresby, who had an "opening few bars that sound as if a bag of frozen peas has been spilt on the tuned percussion".

As for the Lionel Richie incident, we have sent Mr. Fox a picture of said album, which does in fact feature him with an afro. Surely a quick check on Google Images before posting such derogatory comments would have been the best thing to do.

It was too close to the area for the usual North West attenders. Its just too blooming close to Christmas and you cant relax and enjoy the weekend with 2 days of competing and rehearsing to think about!

Agreed. They should take the now free Pontins slot! :biggrin:

We have a very hectic Christmas and with the Area being pulled forward two weeks we decided to miss Butlins this year. Really enjoyed it last year as well.

fartycat

Agreed. They should take the now free Pontins slot! :biggrin:

We have a very hectic Christmas and with the Area being pulled forward two weeks we decided to miss Butlins this year. Really enjoyed it last year as well.

Err, if you moved it to when Pontins used to be you wouldn't get any band that qualified for the Championship section Nationals attending!

towse1972

True, but it is rather too close to the area now. I'm not complaining though. I'm glad we aren't bothering any more!

Leyfy

I was really disappointed with the standard in the champ section this year. I have been attending skeggy for 5 years now and I was really surprised in the drop in standard from last year. Anyone else find feel the same?

I don't know about a drop in standard for playing, but I thought the entertainments contest overall (admittedly I only saw five bands before I went home) seemed a bit more conservative than in the previous 5 years that I have attended. However, I'd imagine it is a really hard job coming up with something both musical, different and entertaining year on year.

SuperHorn

Does anyone take any notice of what Mr Fox writes any more? As Dyke or Cory weren't there who did he have to praise anyway?

Don't forget about Tred! He loves them too.

I try not to read 4BR anymore however you just can't help yourself sometimes come contest day. You just know that it's not going to be good reading.

His continuous blatant attacks on fellow musicians is in no way funny or acceptable and usually ends up as a cheap shot at humour.

Did anyone also notice in the programme 4BR advertising page- 'journalism that counts'. I nearly choked on my cornflakes and just managed to stay on my chair.

He did give me a good write up however, I rather he didn't.

Tim Malpas aka Superhorn.

Basil Brush

Does anyone take any notice of what Mr Fox writes any more? As Dyke or Cory weren't there who did he have to praise anyway?

My dear fellow, I could not agree more!!

I particularly enjoyed his comments regarding the Desford bands final item..."not suitable as a 21st century finisher"....hmmm, come come now Mr Fox, I seem to remember you raved about this on your live comments when it was used by a certain welsh band to finish their BIC programme in 2009!!!

Hmmm, a bit of a curate's egg of a write up I guess.;)

towse1972

Ah yes! such fun.
............."The 'Legends' from Cory brings us back to what they do best, quite stunning playing in the finale from Graham's 'Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'. Some of what we hear is simply awesome."..........

A small senior moment perhaps?

Thirteen Ball

Perhaps.

A few of us were discussing in Centre Stage, prior to the (very enjoyable) B&R concert that it was possible Mr Fox had over-indulged on the amber nectar to a similar extent that we had on the saturday night. And that while we'd been sensible enough to sleep in a bit and further remedy things with a bacon-double-cheeseburger and a coke, he was still suffering the after effects to the same extent we'd have had them, had we been up that early.

I mean, that'd make anyone a bit grumpy wouldn't it?

Like I said, just a theory....

JamesFountain94

I don't know about a drop in standard for playing, but I thought the entertainments contest overall (admittedly I only saw five bands before I went home) seemed a bit more conservative than in the previous 5 years that I have attended. However, I'd imagine it is a really hard job coming up with something both musical, different and entertaining year on year.

I think quite a few bands went a bit more traditional this year on the entertainments programme with the fact that David Read was in the box. Fantastic adjudicator without doubt but im sure he wouldve preffered to see people sit and play well with the odd bit of humour or choreography than the amount of choreography having a negative effect on the playing

adrian90s

Just to say congrats to Dave Nesbitt for gaining us a very creditable 2nd in the first section. We had a few dodgy moments but he steered us through to the end, mind you you would have had to be Seb Coe to catch him leaving the stage -perhaps he was thirsty! ;)
A more enthusiastic conductor I'm yet to meet - roll on the area, or perhaps not looking at my part!

Adrian Nurney (Yorkshire Imps)

Product tMP members are discussing