Butlins 2011

Bass Trumpet

Just got home after an enjoyable, but exhausting weekend. Poor result for us, but some you win, some you lose. Altogether well organised event and lots to do :tup

Paddy Flower

Trackside report!!!

The bookies were smiling, none of the five favorites managed a win. A few notable outsiders in the prizes.

City of Sheffield a fine win in the first section from 18/1. Longridge a good e/w pay-out @ 20/1 and Langley even better (50/1). A nose bleed too for 7/1 Kidlington (18th), tough break Duncan.

Mossley 22/1 winning the 2nd section with another 22/1 shot (Dodworth) in the prizes

Another 22/1 runner gave each-way value in the 3rd, well done Hucknall & Linby and as for fourth section. OK Dronfield were well fancied for the win at 100/30 and Market Rasen (9/1) had their admirers too, but Pleasley in 3rd at 50/1?, who saw that coming. And who saw 3 out of the top 4 in the market finishing 9th-10th & 11th out of 12?, Dinnington, Ireland & Bestwood all had a day to forget yesterday.

Roll on the areas...

Last edited:

Pauli Walnuts

Staff member
May I just make the point that 4BR have again incorrectly attributed me as MD of the Bedworth Band. This has happened for the last 2 years at the Butlins Contest, so it may be the information at the Butlins end.

However, I was NOT the conductor at this contest!

I understand their conductor is Guy Bennet, but I may be wrong.
It was in the official programme as well.

Great weekend - particularly enjoyed Bad Ass Brass on Friday.

JimboFB

GOOOOOO FLOWERS :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fantastic result, great start to the year!

So proud of everyone invloved in the band - especially everyone on the comittee who work so hard for the good of the band :tup

Gutted i couldnt be there to join you for the celebrations!!! :wink:

May I just make the point that 4BR have again incorrectly attributed me as MD of the Bedworth Band. This has happened for the last 2 years at the Butlins Contest, so it may be the information at the Butlins end.

However, I was NOT the conductor at this contest!

I understand their conductor is Guy Bennet, but I may be wrong.

The conductor information is usually taken from the Signature sheet that is filled in by the bands secretary or contest secretary.

Bass Monkey

I was really disappointed with the standard in the champ section this year. I have been attending skeggy for 5 years now and I was really surprised in the drop in standard from last year. Anyone else find feel the same?

sbandsman

I was really disappointed with the standard in the champ section this year. I have been attending skeggy for 5 years now and I was really surprised in the drop in standard from last year. Anyone else find feel the same?

Depends on who gets the invites and decides to attend. Think that if the prize fund does go up as Stan hinted at last night then other bands may think about going.
Lots of cash avaliable for top people to play for. Even so 7 grand is a good prize

Does it really matter? If £7k dosn't tempt decent band's I really don't know what will, their loss! They arn't going to get this sort of money anywhere else

That said, I wasn't there but on paper the standard in the top section looked decent enough

towse1972

Depends on who gets the invites and decides to attend. Think that if the prize fund does go up as Stan hinted at last night then other bands may think about going.
Lots of cash avaliable for top people to play for. Even so 7 grand is a good prize
It was too close to the area for the usual North West attenders. Its just too blooming close to Christmas and you cant relax and enjoy the weekend with 2 days of competing and rehearsing to think about!

Elliebone

An absolutely cracking weekend. A big thank you to all the team at Dronfield and our Maestro JD. What a lovely lot you guys are!!!

Product tMP members are discussing