British Open

madsaz

OUr conductor seems to enjoy the messing about. last night was the first time we did all the standing up stuff - I could barely play for giggling when the basses got going! I think the positioning is clever - it stops us cornets cheating.....

ps - glad alls going well on Ward 27. I work at MRI if you ever need light relief, a brew (including a secret room with computer access near ward 27) or an errand! Not lip service - would be nice to look after a fellow bander, though obviously hope you don't end up needing me professionally.

matthetimp

Deano said:
Having searched for a thread on the Open and failed, I thought I'd start one. (if there is one already, please lock this one).

How many fellow TMP'ers are going?

I'll be there up in the god's, probably having a few jars afterwards as well.
Hi Dean,

I would have gone but I have been invited to Ev's Big Birthday Bash at 'The Park'. Never mind, I will have to get drunk in Harrogate instead.

Steve

Having had a better look at it I think the piece is a cracker. As for the new seating arrangement I couldnt be happier, it is now the 2nd euphs turn to get an earfull of noise rather than me listening to their parping :p Should be a good contest but I think it will be who makes the best of a bad job of it rather than the best of 18 or so good performances. Would love to be proved wrong as the piece deserves some good shows.

dyl

Can anyone give me a rough time where the contest is due to finish this year, so I can sort a leaving time with our bus driver! Roughly how long does the piece last? Is my estimate of 5 bands every 2 hours about right? With 19 bands that'll make it around 7pm?

brassneck

About the music ... is there a lot of melodic and small group work similar to Mozart's writing included in the piece? Is there a good test of delicate playing with a dash of Amadeus wit thrown in for good measure? :confused:

johnflugel

brassneck said:
About the music ... is there a lot of melodic and small group work similar to Mozart's writing included in the piece? Is there a good test of delicate playing with a dash of Amadeus wit thrown in for good measure? :confused:
Yes!

brassneck

johnflugel said:
- well, that's the surprise element thrown out then! ;) That and the Wilby layered effects (maybe like 'Masquerade'?) still will make a great combination though!

ronnie_the_lizard

brassneck said:
- well, that's the surprise element thrown out then! ;) !
Oh, I think you'll still find plenty of surprise elements in there... (we added Swanee whistle part for the first time last night ......)

Ali

Ive got to say, the more we play it, the more I think this will be on a par with Pagannini musically. Its flippin great! I just hope that it does'nt become another St Magnus or Pagannini though. For what its worth I think that the adjudicators will have a cracking time as well with what could be 19 very different interpretations of how to play Mozart "properly". Cant wait!

johnflugel

ronnie_the_lizard said:
Oh, I think you'll still find plenty of surprise elements in there... (we added Swanee whistle part for the first time last night ......)
Bang goes the surprise then?!?!?

BbBill

Supporting Member
Im heading down to the Open weekend for the 1st time and am really looking forward to it! So if you see a drunken Scotman with red hair in the bar, you'll prob better get Steve to translate what Im saying!!!!

Ps anybody know a rough time the concert will finish on the Sun, so I dont miss me train home!!

wewizrobbed

BbBill said:
Im heading down to the Open weekend for the 1st time and am really looking forward to it! So if you see a drunken Scotman with red hair in the bar, you'll prob better get Steve to translate what Im saying!!!!

Ps anybody know a rough time the concert will finish on the Sun, so I dont miss me train home!!
willie, I owe you folks money from troon for transport and accomodation!I'll pay you on saturday.

cya there x

PeterBale

Staff member
Best of luck to all taking part over the weekend!

We're setting off for my parents' tomorrow and are looking forward to a great weekend.

If you spot us on either day, come up and say "hello" ;)

WORD OF WARNING: for anyone travelling by train via Coventry, buses replace trains right over the weekend. Services from London to Birmingham are diverted via Nuneaton.

PeterBale said:
WORD OF WARNING: for anyone travelling by train via Coventry, buses replace trains right over the weekend. Services from London to Birmingham are diverted via Nuneaton.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Doh!

ballyhorn

BbBill said:

Im playing in the concert on the Sunday,last band on and I think we are due on at four,So we should be finished for quarter to five.....

PC

Hey willie I reckon you wont be the only drunk ginger Scot's lad in the bar on Sat!!!

Bart Simonis
Trombone
Kirkie