British Open Test Pieces

PC

Dont know who the judges will get into this one! (Then ive given up with thinking about how judges think!) It will be like three different contests. All pieces are very different so will the judges pick the best band playing the piece they think is hardest or the piece they like the best???? I like all three pieces but bring on Contest Music! :?

jonford

Interesting! I might even try and make the contest this year. I may be completely wrong here but if bands from the european play st.magnus, will it not then be more obvious which band is which to the adjudicators. Although come September everyone will probably know what the bands are playing anyway!

Lauradoll

jonford said:
I may be completely wrong here but if bands from the european play st.magnus, will it not then be more obvious which band is which to the adjudicators.
Does that mean bands who play St Magnus are automatically assumed to have been in the Europeans? I doubt this will be the case to be honest. And with a selection this good, why play the same piece twice in a year? Especially with the quality bands that are there!

jonford

Does that mean bands who play St Magnus are automatically assumed to have been in the Europeans? I doubt this will be the case to be honest. And with a selection this good, why play the same piece twice in a year? Especially with the quality bands that are there!
No I imagine there will be other bands who choose St. Magnus but I still think everyone including the adjudicators will know which pieces the bands have chosen.

Aidan

jonford said:
No I imagine there will be other bands who choose St. Magnus but I still think everyone including the adjudicators will know which pieces the bands have chosen.
i doubt it.. you are assuming that all the bands that were at the euros will play st magnus...

Morghoven

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of our more experienced adjudicators can recognise the top bands by sound alone, regardless of what piece they're playing, but anyway...

Don't know what the bands think of choosing one of three pieces, but it should make for a great day to be an audience member. Bring it on! And whether it 'works' or not, we should credit the organisers of the Open for not being afraid to try something a bit different.

Dave

johnflugel

It is stupid to suggest that the judges would not know which bands were playing, so for me explains why we should not assume the boxis there for that purpose. I think it should be kept so the judges can concentrate on what they hear and not have any distractions whatsoever. It is possible to see a good performance and not hear one :wink:

Humphrey

I predict the winning band will play St Magnus, I predict that YBS and Dyke will play the same piece and I predict that before the contest we will all know which piece each band is playing (weeks before!).

dyl

Humphrey said:
I predict the winning band will play St Magnus, I predict that YBS and Dyke will play the same piece and I predict that before the contest we will all know which piece each band is playing (weeks before!).
While you're at it, Mystic Meg, can you pm me the winning lottery numbers for this Saturday please? Ta!

Giohorn

This bold move will certainly uplift the contesting scene, and I think may entice more band players to go to Birmingham for the day. :shock: :shock: :shock:

On the judging front, I don't think it is difficult to pick the best perforformance, at the end of the day that is what each band will give, a performance. If each band played their own choice piece, there will still be a clear winner! All of the attributions to a first class performance will still be required regardless of what piece a band plays.

Solo Horn Ransomes

Humphrey

dyl said:
Humphrey said:
While you're at it, Mystic Meg, can you pm me the winning lottery numbers for this Saturday please? Ta!
You PM me 6 ways in which this format will produce a level playing field or a fair contest and I'll give you 6 numbers!! I don't know if they'll be winning numbers but then again I haven't predicted the winner of the Open either. I'll leave that to the experts!!

BFN

Well, as much as I will now make a point of going to the Open this year because I enjoy all three pieces; I am a little worried that in the long term that if this continues it will mean less original music will be commisioned for the Majors. I'm also a little peaved they're using THE SAME work for 2 majors this year. Well, at least its not another transcription...

Neil

ersop

The organisers of the British Open have gone on record to say they have given this decision a great deal of thought and have no intention of forgoing thier music commissioning policy. It will certainly make for an interesting day for the bands and a really enjoyable day for the audience who will hopefully be sufficently interested enough to enable the sell out signs to be used AND maintain a fairly full hall for every band instead of the usual exodus when a less fancied band walk on stage. I applaud thier foresight and look forward to September 18th.

Humphrey

I know this is swimming against the tide but I think the organisers of the Open have been totally unimaginative. This is our showpiece contest and an own choice contest by any other name smells the same to me. There are many fine composers around who could create brilliant tests but the Open have chosen instead to pander to the less progressive elements of our (so called) movement. In the hope of filling the hall they devalue the competition instead. There are so many reasons why this format is unfair. I'll console myself with the thought of those empty bars even while the less fancied bands are on. (Fat chance!!)