British Open 2022

John Brooks

I am not subscribed to WOBPlay and relied on 4BR comments today. I'm not sure I'll bother in the future as it appears to be a wasted effort that is so well illustrated today in the case of Desford and Fairey. It appears that even Steven Mead's scoring concept can't eliminate subjectivity, but to that extent? Steven had Desford 5th and Fairey 6th but the judges placed them 17th and 15th respectively. That's a huge disparity and I would love to read the adjudicator's comments for each. I've read some comments elsewhere and it appears I'm not alone in my confusion.

Hsop

I agree John. Some interesting results indeed. Another one was Aldbourne in 3rd place ahead of Cory. Desford and Fairey's must be extremely disappointed with their placings.

James Yelland

Well, personally speaking, I'd rather amputate my own leg with a blunt hacksaw and no anaethetic rather than sit through 18 performances of the same piece of music. Although I am looking forward to receiving my CD of Dyke playing the piece, which I shall enjoy as a piece of music, as opposed to its role as a blunt instrument with which to batter other bands in pursuit of a trophy.

But, at the risk of repeating myself from years gone by, I would simply observe:

1. The adjudicators have absolutely no set of rules by which they must abide, in order to make an objective judgement.
2. What everyone else hears, whether they are sitting in the auditorium, sitting on the stage or hearing it through a live website feed, is not what the adjudicators hear, because they are encased in a wooden box which will inevitably change the sound quality of the source. And unlike other listeners, their attention is constantly diverted from the music by the need to write notes.

I thought I'd given up writing posts like this....(mutter mutter)

John Brooks

Well, personally speaking, I'd rather amputate my own leg with a blunt hacksaw and no anaethetic rather than sit through 18 performances of the same piece of music. Although I am looking forward to receiving my CD of Dyke playing the piece, which I shall enjoy as a piece of music, as opposed to its role as a blunt instrument with which to batter other bands in pursuit of a trophy.

But, at the risk of repeating myself from years gone by, I would simply observe:

1. The adjudicators have absolutely no set of rules by which they must abide, in order to make an objective judgement.
2. What everyone else hears, whether they are sitting in the auditorium, sitting on the stage or hearing it through a live website feed, is not what the adjudicators hear, because they are encased in a wooden box which will inevitably change the sound quality of the source. And unlike other listeners, their attention is constantly diverted from the music by the need to write notes.

I thought I'd given up writing posts like this....(mutter mutter)
Thanks for your comments James. Allow me to have a little fun. Since you misspelled "anesthetic" I'll have to doc a point; also because your interpretation differs from others, there goes another point; because you've chosen to listen to a performance other than that authorised, that will cost you two more points; and finally, because you criticized the use of the music on this day, describing it as "a blunt instrument" of all things, that will cost you 5 more. Of course, others may not be as harsh and Steven Mead, applying different criteria and from a different perspective, may score your response quite differently.

I have to admit that your reference to amputation in such a barbaric way almost caused me to loose my breakfast.

As always, your comments are well worth reading. And please, don't stop muttering! 🤣

Stevieb

Good dialogue gents, I agree Jim with your statements 1 & 2. Playing in Contests has never been fair as allude too, no rules, and just personal interpretation of each adjudicator.
Also John it would be nice, as you say, if we could see the adjudicators written comments but not likely to happen
At the end of the day though someone has to win and someone has to loose, but I must admit I was aghast at the results too. I last played in the Open in 1992 and admit the beer was probably more important to me then;)

Product tMP members are discussing