British Bandsman - Unsolicited

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
WorldofBrass.com said:
Sorry, John.
This is my fault!
I didn't realise that I had 3 PMs and only dealt with the first one. I'll get the BB office to send you a copy a.s.a.p.
:) thanks Carl.... :tup

The Cornet King

I got my free copy, i also subscribe so it was a duplicate.
Must be going on a major advertising campaign if they are sending a copy to everyone that has bought a CD from SP&S.

Interesting to see how many new people subscribe and if it will all be worth it.

brassneck

re:subscription ... hmmm! I noticed that only Switch/Maestro cards are to be used for normal bank accounts. What about the new Chip & Pin cards that are VISA based and suffering difficulties with online and telephone payments? Are they being accepted okay?

BbBill

Supporting Member
aqua76 said:
I didnt get a copy tho and ive bought stuff from their site before....hmmm, maybe the postman is still trying to get through border control at Carlisle :biggrin:

Jane
I was going to agree with you there jane, but mine must've sneaked passed border control and it arrived on my doorstep 5 mins ago!! :D

Resurgam

MAW said:
mine certainly didn't come through any connection with 4barsrest or WoB. Maybe it was because I used to be the secretary of a Band. But that was over 2 years ago.
It's anyones' guess. :dunno

Same here I received my copy yesterday. I neither have any connections now with a Brass Band.

Resurgam

Griffin

I got one, Wrong post code on it though!
I've never subscribed to it, I get it through my local news agents. I am subscribed to WoB mailing list though. Dont remember doing it though! (Probably drunk! would explain a lot of things!!)

brassneck

Griffin said:
I got one, Wrong post code on it though!
I've never subscribed to it, I get it through my local news agents. I am subscribed to WoB mailing list though. Dont remember doing it though! (Probably drunk! would explain a lot of things!!)
... that's how I got my copy, having subscribed to the WOB mailing list for CD and music updates. ;)

alanl58

Yes, I also got a copy of British Bandsman, which I had never read before, and presumed that it came because I had bought music from SPS.

Sadly the marketting ploy failed in my case because:

1). I dislike the word "British" in the title - what is wrong with "UK"?
2). Because I consider that there would be insufficient real brass band news to sustain a weekly magazine
3). Because it costs too much @ £1 a week
4). Because it will always feature the top section bands with little relevance to non competing bands
5). Similarly other articles appear to favour the mechanics of the upper echeleons of banding, with nothing to appeal to the masses.

Now I might be wrong on all counts, but with such excellent free web-sites such as tMp and 4BR there is little place for a costly weekly magazine in my market place.

Sorry guys/gals, it is not for me.....

Alan Lafferty
Bude Metric Brass
St Gennys Silver Band

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
alanl58 said:
Now I might be wrong on all counts, but with such excellent free web-sites such as tMp and 4BR there is little place for a costly weekly magazine in my market place.

Sorry guys/gals, it is not for me.....

Alan Lafferty
Bude Metric Brass
St Gennys Silver Band
Hi Alan...

Even though we very much appreciate and look for voluntary donations, and have both google and sponsored ads on tMP... what you see on tMP now and what you get on tMP now will always be free with us. Thanks for your comments...

John

Di

I got one earlier the week. Also a duplicate copy as I subscribe through my local newsagent at work. I have ordered music and cds from WoB and am apparently on their mailing list.

Laserbeam bass

aqua76 said:
Wouldnt this come under the reign of the Data Protection Act??
Using customer information for purposes other than it was given??

If as I understand it SP&S now own the BB, then there is no breach of the DPA, because they are giving the information to themselves. The purposes for which it is obtained is not for other than it was given. You have a bank account, and your bank send you details about a new mortgage product, this is exactly the same principle, especially when your bank's mortgages are run by another company in another country.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
That's fine however, as always... there's a "but..." ;)

The but is... the law stipulates that companies/organisations must gain permission from an individual that their name be included on a subscription list etc before they actually send out any marketing or promotional material.

I didn't get one, and I used to be subscribed, but let it lapse.
I've also had stuff from SP&S before...

As far as Data Protection goes, from what I remember of the law, if you record "Personal Data" on "automatic processing equipment" then you must register with the Data Protection Registrar stating why you are holding the information and to what use it will be put. There are one or two exceptions to this rule, like salary systems and the like, where you would assume that personal details must be held legitimately. However, even given those exceptions, you may not use the data for other purposes, without registering it.

If you are recording data for invoicing and delivery of purchased items, you must not use that information for other uses without registering that intention with the DPR and additionally, the person concerned must give consent.

I know the law has moved on a bit since I studied it, so take all of that with a pinch of salt.... ;)

brassneck

Looking at my notes for the Data Protection Act 1998 (my job requires it's use) the principles laid down are:-

Personal Information must be:

1. Obtained and processed fairly and lawfully
2. Only be processed for the purpose it was obtained
3. Adequate, relevant and not excessive (in relation to the purpose for which it is processed)
4. Accurate and kept up to date.
5. Kept no longer than necessary (for the purpose which it was processed).
6. Proceed in accordance with the rights of the individual.
7. Protected by appropriate security to prevent loss or authorised disclosure.
8. Only transferred to countries with adequate levels of protection.

Information registered with the Information Commisioner's Office (ICO):

1. The purpose(s) for which information is/are to be processed.
2. The type of individuals about whom information is held.
3. The description of the personal information that is held.
4. The person(s) or organisations to whom information may be disclosed.
5. The countries or territories outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to which data may be transferred.

Rights Of The Individual:

1. To have access to their personal information held and to obtain a copy from the data controller (i.e., the person or company who decides why and how the information is processed).
2. To prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress, unless there is a legitimate business interest for a particular process.
3. To prevent processing for purposes for direct marketing.
4. To require a data controller to ensure that no decision which significantly affects the individual is based solely on automatic processing. This allows an individual the right to have their application manually reviewed if the initial automated decision is a decline/referral.
5. To obtain fair compensation where a data controller has failed to comply with the Data Protection Act and damage has occurred because of this failure.
6. To have their personal information corrected or deleted (unless the details form part of an audit trail).

It is unlawful to access and individual's personal information without a legitimate business
reason. Failure to comply with the Act can lead to prosecution and substantial fines.

geordiecolin

I got a free copy too, assumed it was through WoB....

Won't be subscribing though, i thought it was pretty naff with nowt in I didn't already know or really wanted to know. Had a good chuckle at it with my housemates in a "Have I Got News For You" stylee before it went in the recyling bin. Far too many adverts and the articles were a bit obscure and irrelevant for me... do i really care about Dyke making a DVD with some blokes with swords???

ian perks

Yes i got mine on Wednesday.

I cant understand why they have done it, apart it is from the new editor when he takes over,but think of the extra cost it as been to them:-(
I bet it will go up in the new year to cover the cost of the freebies that were sent out,but the copy they sent out was not much good with mainly the reviews of the cds this year.
Well at least this weeks British Bandsman had some news in about our Band:GRESLEY OLD HALL:) :D ;) :-D

BIG Paul

I Havent had a freeby BUT i do subscribe at the moment, however that will change when subscription becomes due. I personally believe that the quality of the magazine has sufferred badly with the acquisition by SP&S and i now have two weeks waiting to be opened.

IanHeard

BIG Paul said:
I Havent had a freeby BUT i do subscribe at the moment, however that will change when subscription becomes due. I personally believe that the quality of the magazine has sufferred badly with the acquisition by SP&S and i now have two weeks waiting to be opened.

I will also not be re-subscribing in the new year, I am beginning to find SP&S`s and the Salvation Army`s growing influence on Banding distasteful.

Ian Heard.

Product tMP members are discussing