Brighouse & Rastrick, LTTB 20 August

Brian Bowen

It’s been interesting to compare the quality of playing over the past three weeks of LTTB. From Aveley and Newham’s somewhat gutsy performance of oddly mixed pieces, through Flowers’ more classy presentation, to Brighouse and Rastrick this week. In all fairness, I should mention that I listen via the Internet, which doesn’t produce consistent sound quality, and the recordings are clearly not all made in the same studio with the same balance engineer.

Brighouse sounded a top quality band with a well-varied programme. While I listened in vain for the tune I recognize as ‘Somewhere over the rainbow’, I did enjoy Alan Morrison’s playing of his own arrangement (which is apparently based on an arrangement by Eva Cassidy). His model honest-to-goodness sound, nicely judged vibrato, and ability to play in various styles always impresses me. This performance was very good indeed.

Other items included ‘Ravenswood’ (William Rimmer), ‘Just A Closer Walk’ (arr. Alan Fernie), ‘All Things Bright and Beautiful’ (arr. Leigh Baker) — an odd choice this — with euph. soloist Steven Miles, ‘Armenian Fire Dance’ (Goff Richards) and the final movement of ‘The Year of the Dragon’ (Philip Sparke). In typically maddening fashion, the BBC again managed to sever the Internet broadcast before the music finished.

Brian,

I agree with your comment about LTTB, although it's good to listen to some of the "not so well know" bands (like Aveley & Newham), and I too now listen over the internet, and as with you, my laptop speakers aren't really condusive with good sound quality.

I thought it was a good program choice by B&R (without being biased as I used to play for them !), and it sounded like Leigh did an excellent job of arranging "All things bright and beautiful"... Congrats Leigh on your forthcoming wedding (I get married too on 4th Sept !).

Keep up the good work B&R !

Mark
(ex Percussionist, B&R)

Cornishwomble

I record LTTB on Sky plus every week and the quality is awsome, espeically if you have a good sound system on your TV set.

The last few weeks have had some cracking pieces, I especially enjoyed a piece Aveley & Newham played called "Ejala" by Jan Magne Forde, I thought it was a truely original piece and welcome more like it

Brian Bowen

rightnowmusic said:
I agree with your comment about LTTB, although it's good to listen to some of the "not so well know" bands (like Aveley & Newham), and I too now listen over the internet, and as with you, my laptop speakers aren't really condusive with good sound quality.

I listen to Internet music played through a decent amplifier and speakers (or headphones). It's possible to get good results this way. I don't think I'd be satisfied with laptop speakers though!