Brass Qunitet Compitions..

Hey everyone!(im a newbie on here)hehe

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are kind of Brass Quintet competions in the UK that are held? I play in one, i really enjoy it and think it would be good to compete in a compittion..makes a change from competing with wind bands etc
If anyone knows ny could you post it on here and let me know...thanx :D

Danielle
x

The only one I've ever heard of specifically for Brass 5tet was one held at Trinity College of Music - Phillip Jones Brass Ensemble Competition. Sadly not open to the general public - students of that college only.

nickjones

The North Wales Brass Band Association has a solo , quartet , and quintet competition held in Feb each year . it's a good competition with bands competiting from Lions Youth Band and most of the North Wales Bands.
Maybe Dyl has a contact name or number , maybe you could become a member of the North Wales association if you band is based outside wales ( which scotland is ) hope this helps.
ta

sugarandspice

there is always quartet/quintet sections in music festivals,
come to cornwall and play in the cornwall music festival- next march i believe :D

Dave Payn

The only problem with the usual round of brass quartet/ensemble competitions is that the majority of them allow only brass band instrumentation. Still, for a 5tet, it's an ideal vehicle for say, the Ludwig Maurer quintets (for intermediate level) and the Victor Ewald quintets (or perhaps excerpts thereof.... they are a bit long otherwise! - for more advanced level) - all originally written for saxhorn combinations.