Brass Mouthpiece Query

Derek Thorpe

I recently acquired a Brass Mouthpiece which I consider may be a Baritone. It is engraved with G, B and H intertwined capital letters. There may also be a lower case 'r' between the letters. The inner cup rim is 23mm diameter, Outer diameter is 35 mm. Overall length is 82 mm. Please see photos attached.
I would be very grateful if anyone could please identify the maker and/or confirm the instrument it was intended for. For myself I can find no references online. I assume it is probably early 1900s. Thank you.

Attachments

• GBH Mouthpiece - 01.jpg
    GBH Mouthpiece - 01.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 17
  • GBH Mouthpiece - 02.jpg
    GBH Mouthpiece - 02.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 12
  • GBH Mouthpiece - 03.jpg
    GBH Mouthpiece - 03.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 15
  • GBH Mouthpiece - 04.jpg
    GBH Mouthpiece - 04.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 17

2nd tenor

Your best bet is to look out the Bach Mouthpiece chart and to then cross-reference dimensions. https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf
The size suggests to me that it’s nearest to a Trombone or Baritone, but they have a slightly larger cup.

The G I have no idea about but BH might stand for Boosey and Hawkes. Of course it could be a foreign mouthpiece, from say the USA or continental Europe, and the manufacturer may have long ago ceased trading.

Last edited:

Derek Thorpe

Your best bet is to look out the Bach Mouthpiece chart and to then cross-reference dimensions. https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf
The size suggests to me that it’s nearest to a Trombone or Baritone, but they have a slightly larger cup.

The G I have no idea about but BH might stand for Boosey and Hawkes. Of course it could be a foreign mouthpiece, from say the USA or continental Europe, and the manufacturer may have long ago ceased trading.
Thank you for your observations. I had considered B and H of course, but their identifying marks are much clearer and I aggree that the manufacturer is probably no longer manufacturing. I will look at the Bach Chart with interest, thank you again.

Hsop

Thank you for your observations. I had considered B and H of course, but their identifying marks are much clearer and I aggree that the manufacturer is probably no longer manufacturing. I will look at the Bach Chart with interest, thank you again.
Could it possibly be a B&H 'G' bass trombone mouthpiece from the 40's or 50's?

Derek Thorpe

Could it possibly be a B&H 'G' bass trombone mouthpiece from the 40's or 50's?
Thank you for your considerations which may be a possiblity. Did you notice the lower case 'r' within the engraved lettering? That is another unknown which points to the possibility of a 'foreign' manufacturer.

Product tMP members are discussing