Brass instruments allowed to play on stage

Is there any ruling in entertainment contests as to how many brass instruments a player is allowed to play on stage? I know we are allowed to play percussion instruments in addition to our brass instrument and an exception is always made when Dances and Arias is performed. I ask this question because at Porthcawl yesterday the principal cornet of Flowers played a flugel during one item. No real need for it because the flugel player for the band was, to say the least, superb. Incidentally Flowers - you were magic on stage!

Ej

PLayin more than one instrument on stage

I neva realsied a brass player could play percussion, i saw it happen at the finals with a few bands and thought it was strange. I think that if you can go and play percussion then u should be able to play a different instrument on stage. A ter all they are all classed as seperate instruments arnt they!!

leisa

i don't think you can! i think theres summit like 1 piece where the cornet player is allowed to play a flugel cos it's written for 2 flugels!! but im not sure i just heard this somewhere! :?

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
It all depends on the rules of each specific contest. If they use national rules then no. Each player (excluding percussion) may only play one instrument on stage. However because of their very nature most entertainment contests devise their own rules and to be honest most of them make no mention in the rules about how many instruments you can play on stage so technically you can play as many as you like without breaking any rules. However most schedules do tell you to check with the secretary of the contest if there is anything you are unsure about and they will verify for you. So if anyone is thinking about playing 2 or more instruments at a contest check first.

weenie

Hornblower RN said:
Is there any ruling in entertainment contests as to how many brass instruments a player is allowed to play on stage? I know we are allowed to play percussion instruments in addition to our brass instrument and an exception is always made when Dances and Arias is performed. I ask this question because at Porthcawl yesterday the principal cornet of Flowers played a flugel during one item. No real need for it because the flugel player for the band was, to say the least, superb. Incidentally Flowers - you were magic on stage!

Thankyou hornblower, it's very nice to see that someone appreciates our performancies!

Naomi McFadyen

Depending on the contest rules will depend on how many brass players you can have... Exmouth Festival of brass allows 35 players on stage.
A lot of bands get brass players to shake a bit of percussion- nowt wrong with that at all

;-)

PeterBale

Staff member
Naruco said:
Depending on the contest rules will depend on how many brass players you can have... Exmouth Festival of brass allows 35 players on stage.
A lot of bands get brass players to shake a bit of percussion- nowt wrong with that at all;-)

Just so long as the percussionist isn't holding it at the time :wink: :lol: :lol:

jasonpickin

Two instruments

If there is a rule about not being able to play more than one instrument then it just goes to show how anal the brass band movement is. Surely all that matters at the end of the day is that the music is played well. Who cares if a cornet player picks up a flugel or even a sop to cover a part, and the same goes for trombone and euph players.

PLAY LOUD AND PROSPER