Brass Banding In West Yorkshire

timpanigal

Good evening all, new member here, just moved up to Yorkshire from Central London, looking for a brass band but apparently my local band doesn't have a very good reputation. I'm in the Bradford/ Keighley/ Ilkley area?

2nd tenor

Welcome to The West Riding.

Your local Band might not be quite what you’re looking for but no doubt they’d be pleased to see you and might give you some links to other Bands in the area, just a thought.

I suggest that you have a look at this map: Brass Bands Map - Brass Band Results

You don’t say at what level you currently play and want to play.

The map might be out of date but Wilsden (which is a shortish distance away from you) is marked as a second section Band. If you’re up to the skill level then why not ask about vacancies there?
You could try emailing the City of Bradford Brass Band (City of Bradford Brass Band , Championship Section) and Otley Band (https://m.facebook.com/pg/OtleyBand/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 ) they might be able to name and point you in the direction of Bands in your new area.

This link might be more reliable in terms of finding Contesting Bands in your new area: The Yorkshire Brass Band Championships

If you might be willing to try a Wind Band then these people are possibly very near to you: Home - Bradford Concert Band . Again members might well have links to other and (perhaps) better Bands.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Andrew Stringer

Can I take this opportunity to give my local band a plug? Sutton's Got Brass are a friendly mixed ability community band based at Sutton in Craven, half way between Keighley and Skipton. We have a programme of forthcoming gigs through the summer and into the festive season and new players are always welcome in all sections of the band. We rehearse at Sutton in Craven Community Primary School 6.30 to 8.30 pm on Wednesdays.

timpanigal

Welcome to The West Riding.

Your local Band might not be quite what you’re looking for but no doubt they’d be pleased to see you and might give you some links to other Bands in the area, just a thought.

I suggest that you have a look at this map: Brass Bands Map - Brass Band Results

You don’t say at what level you currently play and want to play.

The map might be out of date but Wilsden (which is a shortish distance away from you) is marked as a second section Band. If you’re up to the skill level then why not ask about vacancies there?
You could try emailing the City of Bradford Brass Band (City of Bradford Brass Band , Championship Section) and Otley Band (https://m.facebook.com/pg/OtleyBand/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 ) they might be able to name and point you in the direction of Bands in your new area.

This link might be more reliable in terms of finding Contesting Bands in your new area: The Yorkshire Brass Band Championships

If you might be willing to try a Wind Band then these people are possibly very near to you: Home - Bradford Concert Band . Again members might well have links to other and (perhaps) better Bands.

Good luck.
I played in Championship/ first section but open to levels.

timpanigal

Can I take this opportunity to give my local band a plug? Sutton's Got Brass are a friendly mixed ability community band based at Sutton in Craven, half way between Keighley and Skipton. We have a programme of forthcoming gigs through the summer and into the festive season and new players are always welcome in all sections of the band. We rehearse at Sutton in Craven Community Primary School 6.30 to 8.30 pm on Wednesdays.
Thanks @Andrew Stringer, Do you have/ need tuned percussion. Is your conductor called Jack or Jake ?

Andrew Stringer

Having just read that you're a championship/first section player I think you might be a bit out of our league! The MD of Skipton band just up the road is Jack Smith, is that who you were thinking of?

timpanigal

Having just read that you're a championship/first section player I think you might be a bit out of our league! The MD of Skipton band just up the road is Jack Smith, is that who you were thinking of?
I don't care who I play for, happy to help anyone out to be honest. I'm not a good horn player but enjoy it.

Yes that's the fella, a few local players really put me off them with the things they have told me. Are they really that bad ?

MoominDave

Jack's a nice chap, who I know from when he used to be London-based. Don't know anything about Skipton band, but he's sound. He'll be able to point you at another band with no judgement if you're not keen for whatever reason. PM me if you want his mobile number.

2nd tenor

I don't care who I play for, happy to help anyone out to be honest. I'm not a good horn player but enjoy it.

Yes that's the fella, a few local players really put me off them with the things they have told me. Are they really that bad ?
The best thing that you can do is go and find out for yourself. Bands change over time but good reputations are easily lost and very hard to regain. If you feel able to then tackle what ever seats they have available and stay for say a year whilst you find your feet. In some communities it can take a long time to be accepted ....... and pointless grudges are born for literally decades. Just saying.

A pm to Dave might well help you, and if you pm me then I’ll do a search here for some thread and members that I have in mind.

Vegasbound

IMHO as your new to the area, go play with every band you can, that way people get to know you and your playing abilities, also you may then get invites to play with other ensembles beyond brass banding.

timpanigal

Jack's a nice chap, who I know from when he used to be London-based. Don't know anything about Skipton band, but he's sound. He'll be able to point you at another band with no judgement if you're not keen for whatever reason. PM me if you want his mobile number.
The best thing that you can do is go and find out for yourself. Bands change over time but good reputations are easily lost and very hard to regain. If you feel able to then tackle what ever seats they have available and stay for say a year whilst you find your feet. In some communities it can take a long time to be accepted ....... and pointless grudges are born for literally decades. Just saying.

A pm to Dave might well help you, and if you pm me then I’ll do a search here for some thread and members that I have in mind.
I've been to a few local band practices, went to one last night, some were not for me but I said I'd be happy to dep and left my email.

The band concerned that I'd been told about seems to have quite an active "bad name" amongst other musicians. It's a shame when that happens, but experience tells me that there's no smoke without fire unfortunately.

timpanigal

Thanks Dave, not sure how the pm thing works, feel free to message me.