Brass Band Web Sites & Child Protection

brassbelle

You can obtain information regarding Criminal Records Check via the following web site www.disclosure.gov.uk (telephone 0870 9090844) These checks should be free for volunteers, however you must state this when applying. The British Federation of Brass Bands have made recommendations regarding Child Protection Policies for bands, you can see details on their web site www.bfbb.co.uk

Jane Stewart

Child Protection

If you have a look at the BFBB website, they have a Child Protection Policy already written and have given permission for any band to download it. Go to www.bfbb.co.uk and from the information section, follow the link to child protection.

samandy

Child Protection

Hi there

Our Band Secretary recently completed a 4 day accredited training course on Child Protection which is run through Voluntary Action Calderdale. As a result we have upgraded our policy to include "risk assessments" of all venues we take children to. We also ensure that we have consent forms for every young person at every engagement. We also have a Child Protection Officer on hand if any advice is needed.

It is a time consuming process but important.

Sam Harrison
Elland Youth Band

Thanks to everyone for your replies!
For anyone local to us looking to do the same thing, we have found that Glossop Volunteer Bureau are an umbrella body for the CRB checks for a small fee, they are e-mailing us the information.

jpbray

Since our Band has a high youth contingency within its ranks the committee have quite happily accepted the Child Protection Policy drawn up by the BFBB.
However, I am trying to glean some percieved wisdom on CRB checks, which seems to be somewhat of a minefield. This issue being how far do take it.
Does one for instance have every bandmember 18 years and over checked or does one operate discression. To include every bandmember 18 years and over would mean every time our younger members of the band (who have been members a long time) reach 18 years of age they become subject to being CRB checked.

I don't want to say to much in case I predujice any reply, but any suggestion would be welcome

tpcornet12

Since our Band has a high youth contingency within its ranks the committee have quite happily accepted the Child Protection Policy drawn up by the BFBB.
However, I am trying to glean some percieved wisdom on CRB checks, which seems to be somewhat of a minefield. This issue being how far do take it.
Does one for instance have every bandmember 18 years and over checked or does one operate discression. To include every bandmember 18 years and over would mean every time our younger members of the band (who have been members a long time) reach 18 years of age they become subject to being CRB checked.

I don't want to say to much in case I predujice any reply, but any suggestion would be welcome

We discussed this last night at our committee meeting. It was thought (though not gospel) that there needs to be a CRB certified person present at all times. Therefore the more that are CRB checked the better chance you have of not falling foul of the law. Some organisations may make it policy for all 18+ to be checked to be on the safe side.

Interesting to hear that it should be free to all volunteers, hadn't realised that as we were discussing the most cost-effective method.

Also I believe that a CRB check can't transfer from one organisation to another!? It seems rather crazy to me as I would need to be done and my work requires me to be vetted to SC level - which is a GREAT deal more detailed than a CRB!

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Its typically wholly legislation, but as I understand it for general stuff you're OK as long as there is a CRB checked person present. However if someone is going to be teaching or generally in close proximity then you should really get them checked out.

It throws up some interesting dilemmas though - for instance I'm not currently CRB checked so if I happened to see one of our junior members walking the mean streets of Wigston at night then I ought to drive right by rather than offer them a lift!!

super_sop

Supporting Member
Its typically wholly legislation, but as I understand it for general stuff you're OK as long as there is a CRB checked person present. However if someone is going to be teaching or generally in close proximity then you should really get them checked out.

It throws up some interesting dilemmas though - for instance I'm not currently CRB checked so if I happened to see one of our junior members walking the mean streets of Wigston at night then I ought to drive right by rather than offer them a lift!!

They would probably be safer out of the car, I've seen you drive!!!! (And get lost!!!):biggrin:

On topic!

All of our helpers at Wem, as well as a large number of the senior band are CRB checked. Better safe than sorry.

I'm sure I've seen on here somewhere a post suggesting that there is a CRB umbrella organisation run by the BBBA. Any ideas? Having a CRB check through the CRB themselves can take a very, very long time?
It's annoying really, both my husband and I are teachers so have had a check done, but because we run the junior band for Cubbington we have to have another one done.

Di

They would probably be safer out of the car, I've seen you drive!!!! (And get lost!!!):biggrin:

So it's not just me then? ;):tongue:.

I'm sure I've seen on here somewhere a post suggesting that there is a CRB umbrella organisation run by the BBBA. Any ideas? Having a CRB check through the CRB themselves can take a very, very long time?
It's annoying really, both my husband and I are teachers so have had a check done, but because we run the junior band for Cubbington we have to have another one done.

There's another thread re CRB checks here which also gives links to the BFBB CRB procedures here.

Is this any help? :)

Fedman

:) The British Federation of Brass Bands is now a Registered Body with the Criminal Records Bureau.

Implementing basic child protection and safeguarding procedures is relatively straightforward for brass bands now.

As a registered umbrella body, the BFBB will endeavour to process applications quickly.

This new service is free to member bands. A small charge will be made for applications received from non-member bands and other organisations.

If you would like more information or assistance concerning your CRB applications contact Mr Derek Atkinson - Telephone: 01226 771015 or e-mail Derek@nwcbba.fsnet.co.uk

Two useful information packs; the BFBB Child Protection Policy and the Code of Conduct, compliment the BFBB Registered Body status and are available for all bands to download at www.bfbb.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:

slider

Riverside Academy did police checks on all responsible adults, it was even necessary for these checks to be duplicated for teachers who help out with the band. As a matter of common sense we never name children on photos and seldom include close up images of members.
At present we are wondering if we should limit access to our developing picasa photo library to a link from inside the extranet login area. Its a shame as its good to have a long term record of events.

Product tMP members are discussing