Brass Band Rotary Tubists - Step Forward!

MoominDave

A chap in Wantage B band plays on a Miraphone BBb - not sure what model, or even if there is more than one model. Second-hand report said that it's very large-blowing and sounding, possibly problematically so (as per Gareth's remark), but I haven't listened for myself, so can't confirm.

My Dad (user MartinT) ought to have a closer perspective as he plays in the same section. Jonathan "Wessex Tubas" Hodgetts has played with Wantage too, so may well have taken an interest.

MartinT

The instrument pictured certainly looks to me like my oppo's instrument. I had a quick blow on it once, and I did find it a bit intimidating as to bore size. Most of my experience on BBb has been on the Besson 994GS, and this was a bigger bore than that. The guy who plays it is a big man, and I guess it suits him.
As to sound, I have to say that Wantage B doesn't always have consistency in sound across the bass section, mostly because we don't have the opportunity to get hold of a proper "set" of instruments. If we did, then I would say that the Miraphone wouldn't blend very well. It can produce an impressive sound, but tonally it simply seems to differ somewhat from the "Sovereign sound".
I can ask the player's opinion if you like. He's an airline pilot, so not always available, but I should see him next week sometime. Not sure whether he's a tMper.

Matthew

Super stuff, sounds great the Miraphone. I like the larger bores personally - I'm going to try the Yamaha Neo soon, see what it's like as a comparison (smaller bore).

The Miraphone M9000 looks shorter than the BBb Sovereign from the pic, anyone confirm this? Is it a similar size to the (horrible IMO) Courtois BBb? :)

Anyone got a price/supplier for the M9000? I'm having probs locating one, lol.

Thanks all!

AndyCat

JDH

I played a Miraphone compensated BBb tuba with a band in the Whit Friday's a couple years ago. It played pretty well to me (as a mainly EEb player), as you would expect from Miraphone it was well made and it was enormous and VERY HEAVY, more so than a Sovereign, or Wessex - I was about to collapse by the end of the evening. One thing I did not like was one of the compensated pipes stuck into me - very uncomfortable to use for marching. For concert work i guess would be fine

MartinT

Just a follow-up to my previous post...

My oppo agrees with me as regards the difficulty of blending a Miraphone with Besson basses. Something I didn't know is that my good friend the fish, whose playing I respect enormously, once tried to make it blend and failed. That being so, I certainly shan't be wasting any effort trying!

the fish

Just a follow-up to my previous post...

My oppo agrees with me as regards the difficulty of blending a Miraphone with Besson basses. Something I didn't know is that my good friend the fish, whose playing I respect enormously, once tried to make it blend and failed. That being so, I certainly shan't be wasting any effort trying!

Spot on Martin! The Miraphone is a lovely sounding instrument to blow, but it just didn't blend with the rest of the section, also the tuning suffered on different notes to what I was used to on the Sovereign I was playing on. Brass banding bass/tuba sections are all about team work, a matching set of instruments from whichever your preferred manufacturer is is preferable to me for blend, balance and tuning.

JDH

My perception was that the Miraphone compensated BBb may use bell/bottom bow from German Kaiser tuba, so no doubt has more of a German tone, which is quite different from the brass band bass sound. I also found the Miraphone EEb very different in tone when I tried one.

after trying a different neo yesterday, holy s**t, what an awesome tuba, the one i played last year must have been faulty. reminded me so much of an imperial but with a great pedal range!!!!!

iancwilx

after trying a different neo yesterday, holy s**t, what an awesome tuba, the one i played last year must have been faulty. reminded me so much of an imperial but with a great pedal range!!!!!

They should start building "Imperials" again. Great tubas ~ New doesn't always mean better.

~ Mr Wilx

jp tuba

From my experience, playing a rotary valve tuba in a band, I would say that you would have to get a 5 valve rotary BBb. I have played 4 valve ones, they are generally very in tune down to bottom f (1+4), where the tuning completely goes. On a 5 valve, the 5 valve comes into effect there and takes care of the tuning. The rotors give a much more open and broad resonant sound, however the return of the action is very slow. Front action pistons are good, though again, 5th valve needed really for brass banding. The little finger can be avoided by using fingerings like 1,2+5 instead of 4. I've found compensated basses hit and miss - the sovereigns are very inconsistent from one instrument to the next, the courtouis are hopeless, I found the neo is tinny and breaks up easily. I found the miraphone compensated BBb quite good, though the best b flat i have ever played was the WILLSON BBb Tuba 3100 FA-5

JDH

I have played 4 valve ones, they are generally very in tune down to bottom f (1+4), where the tuning completely goes.
When i played rotary tuba in band, by using alternative fingering i managed to go lower no problem with 4 valves. I used in the low register (treble clef);

F 1+2+4
E 2+3+4
Eb 1+3+4
D 1+2+3+4 (a bit sharp)
Db 1+2+3+4 and lipped down short notes, or pulled slides for long

On most large bore rotary and piston tubas there are also available what are called 'false tones' which can be used to play the low register with just 3 valves (I don't remember the fingerings) - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuba#Resonance_and_false_tones

ROBTHEDOG

In previous band (Heart of England) we played Miraphone 186 BBb - no problems although it was in the hands of a good player -- In fact 1st contest outing with it was Midlands Area Championship Section position 1st from Draw number 1 on Ballet for band -- Also absolutely agree with point about Imperials -- as Prof' Ferdinand Porsche said -- "Change is easy - Improvement is the difficult part....

I AM USING A WESSEX BBb compensated tuba and also a Wessex 5/4 compact BBb rotary in brass bandsbands,u can come and try mine if you want Matt..near jnc 38 M1 See for yourself.