Brass band resources database

Lisa

One thing I would like to see on tMP - but would probably involve lots and lots of work - is a searchable database of brass band related resources such as books, journal articles etc.
I know there is a brass band bibliography list on the ibew website but it would be nice if you could actually search specifically for what you want rather than trawl through a list. And it would be good if there was more information on each resource...such as brief synopsis, contents, location/how to obtain.

I'm sure music students would appreciate it anyway! :)

midwalesman

Although that would be nice, it would be a lot of work and also there is such a resource for books and journals through the Harrogate bands web page, i.e International Bandsman's "Everything within". Which is an exceptional source of material on the history of the brass band in this country and abroad.

Bass Man

That would take quite some time to compile but I think would be worth the effort, could be a valuable resource. Excellent Idea!

midwalesman

Having re-read your post I realise you did mention the ibew and therefore my observation skills are rated zero. However, the idea of a synopsis on each would be a good idea but in reality the job would need to be split between many people and would take years to do. Perhaps there is a research grant in there to do that. If you look at the bibliography, 90% of the books on there may be out of print and exist in private collections or archives. I have started collecting brass band books (and reading them) and I know 2 places (the band archive in Salford and the one run so well by Mr Ainscough) that have periodical resources back to the 1880s. There is also Derek Rawlinson who is the head of archives with the B+R band who has an equally impressive personal archive. Roy Newsome may be putting more of the information on the net in the near future who knows.
There is also the books that are only available in the British Library or Welsh Library in my home town Aberystwyth, not to mention the historical books and manuscripts that are present in the Smithsonian in America, including the notes and work by both Hazen and Hazen.

To actually create a synopsis on every book would be well worth it but if you are a student then research skills are part of the unwritten rule. You get more marks for being original and doing hard work than by having it all in one place in a neat bundle lol.

You could always get the bibliography and look up the author and book, then look for it through Amazon and used book places on and offline.