Brass Band Registry.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
At the draw, we were told by Peter Bates that they would stamp BBBR cards of attendees as a courtesy to allow those of us with long banding histories to have a complete record of our contest attendance. Some of us, at least, are quite sentimental about having a record of playing over a VERY long period of time.

JPC

At the draw, we were told by Peter Bates that they would stamp BBBR cards of attendees as a courtesy to allow those of us with long banding histories to have a complete record of our contest attendance. Some of us, at least, are quite sentimental about having a record of playing over a VERY long period of time.
I quite agree about the sentimentality bit, just a shame bands people didn't show that same level of sentimentality towards the Registry.

Just a suggestion - if you haven't already done do, visiting http://brassbandresults.co.uk , entering the band(s) you have played for and then clicking on 'I played at this contest' for each relevant entry will give you a nice list of contest appearances/results which you can keep/print out. The database is not comprehensive yet, but you can always add details for contests which are missing.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
...and all the grubby fingerprints, smudged stamps and layers of pages. The thing is, those cards have actually been there! :D I didn't play at Blackpool. For the first time in my life, I was there as a supporter - because of the Krapitol fiasco. If the band had gotten to Cheltenham, I would have been a supporter there as well. I notice a number of competitions are now adopting their own registration systems. Good. Maybe there'll be enough to put a spoke in his wheel.

tubafran

... I notice a number of competitions are now adopting their own registration systems. Good. Maybe there'll be enough to put a spoke in his wheel.
If this carries on then the "only" contest using BBP cards will be the National Championship (I intended to mark this and make lots of smug comments in the future when this comes true)

Can I say I miss Sony Boy?

If this carries on then the "only" contest using BBP cards will be the National Championship (I intended to mark this and make lots of smug comments in the future when this comes true)

Can I say I miss Sony Boy?

Me too!!!

There's just no one out there with half the annoyance level he could muster, a good war of words is very satisfiying sometimes!

tubafran

Me too!!!

There's just no one out there with half the annoyance level he could muster, a good war of words is very satisfiying sometimes!
I really hope he wasn't also Paddy Flowers - 'cos I think everyone's missing him and we liked Paddy - if you get a ban for having 2 accounts, do they both get pulled?

Archer

I really hope he wasn't also Paddy Flowers - 'cos I think everyone's missing him and we liked Paddy - if you get a ban for having 2 accounts, do they both get pulled?
I think they said (correct me if I'm wrong) that they saw he had more than one account and was given the option to merge them.

As he didn't, I assume all accounts were removed.

I doubt he was Paddy as none of the admins have shouted up saying that Paddy's account is gone or anything like that. They may know as much as we do about what's up.

Archer

Quite possibly, but if the AGM's follow the route that NoE seem to be indicating, there could be some interesting times ahead.
I've not commented (and held my tongue) as I believe it was Mr Hope's place to announce that he was retiring and no one else's. Although he has defied the direct wishes of the bands he represents recently he has done a lot for the area. No one can contest that as he always makes sure we know... take that how you will. I believe he deserves the respect of bowing out in his own way. Since 4BR has published this (we only had the information via a secretarial email until today) I don't think I need to hold my tongue anymore.

I think the circumstance under which he has bowed out are regrettable but in the same breath - they are of his own making (assuming it's over the registry issue). I'll stand by my earlier words and still hope that he apologises to us. This could either be heartfelt or under the pretense of a misunderstanding. I'd just feel better if he would acknowledge that he misrepresented our region. It would be the difference between muted applause at the area contest and the one that his past accomplishments warrant.

Indeed. Perhaps we shall be seeing those individuals in the vanguard of the anti-Kapitol brigade putting themselves forward for election to their respective area committees, the better to take the fight to the enemy. Or perhaps not. We shall see. Seize the moment, comrades!
I would happily put myself forward for a position should it be required and if I needed to step up then I would. That said - at the ripe old age of 28 I doubt I have the contacts (let alone experience of the movement) to do any senior roles on the committee to the standard I've came to expect in past years. Don't get me wrong, I'll fold napkins if I know it'll help the movement and the region but lets get serious... I'm a great foot soldier at the moment and hope to be more in the future but please don't think that my hesitation to put myself forward when the time comes is anything but an understand of my position and humility in the presence of others who are much better suited.

Steve, everyone can come up with reasons for why they shouldn't do a difficult and unpopular task (check out the story of Moses in Exodus several thousand years BC, he said he was too young too!). If you believe passionately in a cause go for it.

If this carries on then the "only" contest using BBP cards will be the National Championship (I intended to mark this and make lots of smug comments in the future when this comes true
And none using BBBR allowing bands to contest with the players available to them on the day without any unnecessary, time consuming, expensive and pointless admin.

Bring it on.

.....especially when the overwhelming majority of English bands have shown their support for the National Championships.....

From Kapitols recent press release on 4br - Don't think this is quite true, when you don't give people any choice I can't see that you can say they overwhelming support you, it's like saying I wholeheartly support the tax man!!!

...... Since 4BR has published this (we only had the information via a secretarial email until today) I don't think I need to hold my tongue anymore.

Probably being my usual thicko technophobe self, but couldn't see any article on 4br for Alan Hope retiring?