Brass Band Brie

Dave Payn

Active Member
Australian Euphonium said:
Hootenany and Instant Concert :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

...EEEeeekkk...more likely pieces that should be burnt
Inspired by this quote from the 'Pieces that should be recorded' thread, I wonder if a brass band CD of 'Your favourite Cheesy Classics (or indeed, 'Fromage Frolics' or, to quote the Goon Show... 'Tunes Your Mother Loved.... And Everybody Else Hated') would sell. What would go on your CD in this case?

How about:

Instant Concert
Floral Dance
Sweet Gingerbread Man
Cavatina
Clog Dance (Marcangelo)
Lincolnshire Poacher
Barwick Green (Archers' theme)
Eye Level
Sandpaper Ballet
Toccata in D Minor
Music (John Miles)
Hootenanny

I should add that despite the fact I'm taking the mick out of these pieces (a little...) a lot of the above have served bands pretty well over the years, certainly ones I've been involved with! ;-) ;-)
 

MRSH

Supporting Member
Dave Payn said:
Instant Concert
Floral Dance
Sweet Gingerbread Man
Cavatina
Clog Dance (Marcangelo)
Lincolnshire Poacher
Barwick Green (Archers' theme)
Eye Level
Sandpaper Ballet
Toccata in D Minor
Music (John Miles)
Hootenanny
Isn't that a typical Sunday afternoon in the park band programme??! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Sarahjo

New Member
Hey, You, stop pinching our concert programme!!! :lol:

Only joking, but as you said they have appeared in our programme many an occasion.

How about adding Tara's Theme to the list - sick of playing it now!! Our MD likes it for some reason:lol: :D
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
MRSH said:
Dave Payn said:
Instant Concert
Floral Dance
Sweet Gingerbread Man
Cavatina
Clog Dance (Marcangelo)
Lincolnshire Poacher
Barwick Green (Archers' theme)
Eye Level
Sandpaper Ballet
Toccata in D Minor
Music (John Miles)
Hootenanny
Isn't that a typical Sunday afternoon in the park band programme??! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly! But who would go out and buy a CD of it all?? ;-) ;-) (Come one, one of you must want to! ;-)
 

Accidental

Supporting Member
Add Breezing down Broadway and I'll buy it.... if only for the pleasure of seeing how long it takes to melt at gas mark 6!!!!! :wink:
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Accidental said:
Add Breezing down Broadway and I'll buy it.... if only for the pleasure of seeing how long it takes to melt at gas mark 6!!!!! :wink:
Who Pays the Ferryman as an encore?
 

Accidental

Supporting Member
Now you're talking :lol:

Oooh... and don't forget those classics of the tenor horn repertoire....
My Heart will go on, Ben, and the Wichita Lineman.
 

WhatSharp?

Active Member
You missed out :

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Disney Fantasy


Edit: Reference to Individual removed. (RT)
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Accidental said:
Now you're talking :lol:

Oooh... and don't forget those classics of the tenor horn repertoire....
My Heart will go on, Ben, and the Wichita Lineman.
You mean 'My Heart Will Go On....and on.......and on.....and on......and on.......'
 

MRSH

Supporting Member
Edit: Post removed.

Please refrain from naming individuals or companies.


:wink:
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
WhatSharp? said:
You missed out :

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Disney Fantasy
Ah yes, but we've all bought them, though, haven't we... despite what we might have said about them in the past (and yes, I include myself in that!)

Funny, really, (getting away specifically from the ******* library) some of the other tracks on my imaginary 'CD', I've moaned about in the past, but a lot of them still go down well with audiences. I remember a few years back when I was Fulham's conductor. Our bass trombone player is Mr Cheese himself (and a Eurovision Song Contest fanatic) and repeatedly asked (until I gave in) if we could play 'Best of the Seekers'. I reluctantly acceded, and when we played it at Golders Hill park one year, it got the biggest round of applause of any piece we played that afternoon!

Yup, they sure don't write 'em like they used to!

Edited: (RT)
 

Accidental

Supporting Member
......and on.......and on.....and on......and on......and on.......and on.....and on......and on......and on.......
:wink: :lol:
 

cornetgirl

Active Member
And what about the old classics like Daisy Bell and Day Trip To Bangor? I was brought up on those when Dad conducted tHB!

Rach x
 

eckyboy

Member
Tuba Smarties--I dont know any bass players who even like it.
Probably 20 will post and say thet do now :oops:
 

lynchie

Active Member
ah, i was wrong... I had blocked this one from my mind until our conductor brought it up yesterday... the hideous ACROBAT
 

Steve

Active Member
With the Bold Gendarmes as an encore to The Acrobat, the cheesiest trombone trio I have ever known! (but good memories of the French Nationals :wink: )
 
Top