BRASIL 1970 THE BEST FOOTIE TEAM EVER....

nickjones

I Know we compaired YBS to Brasil 1970 , but are the 1970 , World cup winning squad the best ever???
PELE
CARLOS ALBERTA
JARZINHIO
GERSON
RIVELINIO
TOSTAO
CLODOALDA

And one of the greatest managers of all time...Mario Zagallo
11 magicians on the pitch..and to think they had a witch doctor and samba band to train with too...BRILLIANT

lynchie

ah, they were ok... I suppose... They'd be up against it with our office 5-a-side team though!

Well Worth It

I reckon our Euro 96 team would've had'em.
Shearer and Sheringham up front.
Gazza, Ince, Platt, Anderton.
Pearce, Neville, Southgate and Adams

dyl

So, following your logic, Germany would have 'got them' as well then! Making that Brazil side the third best side ever? Behind a team that had Gary Neville and Darren Anderton in it? :roll: Hard to believe, sorry! ;)

Well Worth It

We were unbelievably misfortunate during that game.
We had chance after chance to bury the Germans but it just didn't happen.
In an isolated encounter (as I meant :wink: ) I think we would win.

nickjones

Much as the England Euro 96 Team were impressive , I think the 1970 Brasil side were the best side ever...strength and depth , attacking options....defensivly brilliant , and they would kick 7 bells out of you...not like Argentina 1966..but just as hard.to beat Italy 4 - 0 in the hottest world cup final ever, you have to be good.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Hey...be careful of the wording for your title.....you'll be getting PeterBale on to you!!!!! :wink: :D

Anyways I thinks for there time probably yes. But it's always difficult to compare anything from different era's, be it footie teams, brass bands, GP drivers etc etc

Maestro

The Brazil team of the '70 world cup certainly scored the best team goal I have ever seen.

People say that you should have a ball winner in your team, but that team didn't. Mainly due to the fact that those players wouldn't lose the ball.

Hmmmm...wonder if I can say that about Norwich next season :?:

yr_epa

They are defs ONE of the BEST SIDES in the world, but I wouldn't say that they are the best team EVER.

They were in a different league at that time, like Arsenal are now I suppose!

Maestro

yr_epa said:
They are defs ONE of the BEST SIDES in the world, but I wouldn't say that they are the best team EVER.

They were in a different league at that time, like Arsenal are now I suppose!

They'd be in the same league now, especially with there being no limit on the number of 'foreign' players you can have in a side :wink: :lol:

Andy_Euph

England 1966 - the heroes :D ... proper footballers in times when British football was played by great British players:

The Charlton's
Moore
Hurst
Banks
Stiles
Peters
etc.....

2nd man down

Staff member
I don't think we'll ever see football played again as smooth and effortlessly flowing as Brazil from 1970 played. Pure Class.

johnmartin

No the best team in the world were the Lisbon Lions.

Seriously though, although that Brazil team were good I would say that the Holland team of 74 and 78, having never won the big one, were of equal stature. Total football they called it and with Cruyff directing things that's what they gave us.

nickjones

johnmartin said:
No the best team in the world were the Lisbon Lions.

Seriously though, although that Brazil team were good I would say that the Holland team of 74 and 78, having never won the big one, were of equal stature. Total football they called it and with Cruyff directing things that's what they gave us.

Sad to hear the "Inventor of total football" Rinus Michels passed away last week , one of the worlds best coaches at club and international level , brilliant at Ajax and the Netherlands.
but still the 1974 / 1978 Dutch teams were one of the best europe has produced they still a long way short of Brasil 1970...am I right in thinking Scotland beat them in '78 with a class goal by Archie Gemell???

Red Elvis

This will get 2nd man down going , but what about the great Leeds side of the 70's ? Not only stylish , but hard as nails with it , and managed by the genius Don Revie.

nickjones

I would think Liverpool of the 70's were a better side than Leeds , but still miles behind Brasil 1970!!!!!!!

2nd man down

Staff member
Baritone Elvis said:
This will get 2nd man down going , but what about the great Leeds side of the 70's ? Not only stylish , but hard as nails with it , and managed by the genius Don Revie.

This may surprise you but as a football lover I agree that the Leeds side of the early 70's *spit*, the Liverpool side of the late 70's/80's and Man U *spit* of the 90's are among the greatest clubs to grace a football pitch, along with the obvious others (Real Madrid, Ajax etc)...but I still don't think any of them would have beaten the 70's Brazil side. I think the Liverpool 70's/80's side would have been closest to achieving it. They're certainly the most succesful in terms of silverwear.