BRASIL 1970 THE BEST FOOTIE TEAM EVER....

Chris Sanders

2nd man down said:
This may surprise you but as a football lover I agree that the Leeds side of the early 70's *spit*, the Liverpool side of the late 70's/80's and Man U *spit* of the 90's are among the greatest clubs to grace a football pitch

What about Man City... 76...?? Fantastic season... With the Legend that is... Colin Bell MBE... Undoubtably one of Englands greatest ever players... A sheer genius with his feet...

nickjones

2nd man down said:
This may surprise you but as a football lover I agree that the Leeds side of the early 70's *spit*, the Liverpool side of the late 70's/80's and Man U *spit* of the 90's are among the greatest clubs to grace a football pitch, along with the obvious others (Real Madrid, Ajax etc)...but I still don't think any of them would have beaten the 70's Brazil side. I think the Liverpool 70's/80's side would have been closest to achieving it. They're certainly the most succesful in terms of silverwear.

Amen to that...I think the Wolves side of the 50's and 60's were pretty special , but am too young to have seen them play (have only seen video's of the Honved and Dynamo games ) and the FA cup games against Blackburn ( in which a young Dave Whelan MD of JJB Sports played and broke his leg )and Leicster , but still not the best team on a world stage :( not too sure City and Bell are a world class side , I do enjoy recordings of the Man Utd - City game with a cheeky goal by Denis Law...Genius sent utd down I think

2nd man down

Staff member
Sandman said:
What about Man City... 76...?? Fantastic season... With the Legend that is... Colin Bell MBE... Undoubtably one of Englands greatest ever players... A sheer genius with his feet...

You can't really call a team great until they prove they can sustain that level of play over more than one season though can you?

Great teams are made from consistant greatness, not a flash in the pan season.

And Brazil managed to turn out that sort of greatness at each tournament without actually playing together for months at a time!

nickjones

2nd man down said:
You can't really call a team great until they prove they can sustain that level of play over more than one season though can you?

And Brazil managed to turn out that sort of greatness at each tournament without actually playing together for months at a time!

true.....

Chris Sanders

2nd man down said:

Nah, not having that... With injurys and transfers etc... So much can happen in a season... Look at Everton last season and look at them now... Im not saying they are a great team... But last year I would have said they were awful... Great Teams are made from great players... As with bands... Great players come and go... In 1976... No one could touch them... Because they were a great team...

PeterBale

Staff member
Sandman said:
Nah, not having that... With injurys and transfers etc... So much can happen in a season... Look at Everton last season and look at them now... Im not saying they are a great team... But last year I would have said they were awful... Great Teams are made from great players... As with bands... Great players come and go... In 1976... No one could touch them... Because they were a great team...
. . . or average players galvanised and moulded into something special by someone out of the ordinary, as with Brian Clough's Forest :?:

2nd man down

Staff member
Sandman said:

Not disputing they were a very good team that year...but what happened the year after (and since for that matter!)

Greatness is when some seasons after winning your first silverwear, teams still fear you cos they know they're probably gonna get a hiding.

Nobody in the World wanted to play 70's Liverpool for seasons...I doubt much of the world knew who man city were despite that of one season.

2nd man down

Staff member
PeterBale said:
. . . or average players galvanised and moulded into something special by someone out of the ordinary, as with Brian Clough's Forest :?:

And yes!! Back to back European cups!!! How many clubs can claim that?? You can count them on one hand. That's greatness.

Chris Sanders

2nd man down said:
Greatness is when some seasons after winning your first silverwear, teams still fear you cos they know they're probably gonna get a hiding.

True... But just because a team is not consistant doesnt mean they can not be great... thats absolute rubbish...

Just because YOU dont remember the years when Man City had a great squad, does that mean you have the right to say they wer'nt great...

I can show you dozens of clips and matches on VHS that proves greatness... They could outplay and outclass almost any of todays teams...

Will the Sec

I regret to say that whilst the Brazilian 1970 World Cup winning squad was awesome, they were lacking in the goalkeeping stakes. Felix was rather ordinary, and had he been tested with any regularity would have been exposed.

Chris Sanders

Will the Sec said:
I regret to say that whilst the Brazilian 1970 World Cup winning squad was awesome, they were lacking in the goalkeeping stakes. Felix was rather ordinary, and had he been tested with any regularity would have been exposed.

Very true... When you have ten players of such class in front of you, you get very little to test you...

Chris Sanders

Had a look through my VHS for that era...

LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
1967-1968

COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

F.A. CUP WINNERS

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS

COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS

2nd man down said:
Nobody in the World wanted to play 70's Liverpool for seasons...I doubt much of the world knew who man city were despite that of one season.

Shows what you know... 1976 was a fantastic season...

nickjones

Will the Sec said:

I dont think there has ever been a Great Brasilian goalie...even now with Dida and Marcos , not brilliant , still all brasilians want to be Pele , I don't think Man City '76 would have had a sniff of the ball if they played Brasil 1970..as it's been said before the didnt need ball winners as they never lost the ball..just a point tho and I've said it before , to beat Italy 4-0 in Mexico is a gigantic feat of footie magic...

2nd man down

Staff member
Sandman said:
Had a look through my VHS for that era...

LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
1967-1968

COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

F.A. CUP WINNERS

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS

COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS

Shows what you know... 1976 was a fantastic season...

So would you class Chelsea a great club now?? This season they've already achieved what City achieved in 76 and they're not done yet, but still people are saying they have to prove themselves..they won't be classed as great until they've proved they can stay the distance...Granted people think they're very good, and they are, and as i already said i didn't dispute that in 76 City were a good team...but do you only have to win one trophy to be classed as a great team? Do you really honestly believe that that City squad acheived as much, and deserve to be up there with the Liverpools, Real Madrids, Ajax's and Man U's?? I don't think so, sorry.

Product tMP members are discussing