Book Club?

Bluebottle

I quite liked the Robin Hobb books (only read the 1st series) and George R.R. Martin - good scheming & politics stuff in copeable dosage!

Still reread all Terry Pratchett - so much detail & jokes at our society etc

Has anyone tried A Dry White Season? heard on the radio yesterday that there was a film version done (coz Marlon Brando died yestaday and he was in it) so will hav 2 try and find that.....

Oo, and definately try "The Good Women of China" by Xinran - vvvv moving and compelling - another of the "couldntputitdown" brigade.

Have just bin sent my reading list for uni so think will be fully occupied for a bit......Herodotus, anyone?! am on bk 3 of it..... :? 8)

bigmamabadger

Lothianh said:
And, speaking of Umberto Eco and Foucault's Pendulum, last weekend I just blazed through Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", which is quite the bestseller over here in the US. (Maybe it has been in the UK as well; I don't know.) I would describe it as Eco Lite, about what you would get if you crossed Foucault's Pendulum with a Tom Clancy novel - a plot encompassing a vast church conspiracy, masonic rites, numerology, secret codes and messages hidden in ancient texts and works of art, with the suspense sustained by devices worthy of a pulp potboiler, and a curious tendency to work in brand name accessories (especially handguns) from time to time. I'm sure this will be turned into a movie someday soon, if for no other reason than that the screenplay is essentially written already. Thoroughly enjoyable and basically forgetable. :)

-Lothian
Sounds good to me, will have a look out for it. There's nothing like a book packed full of unnecessary weapons specifications to make a good holiday read.
I went through a phase of spy novels a few years ago (I was living in Vienna, Cold War spy capital of Europe) and rather like Craig Thomas, but some of them were so clunky as to be unreadable. They're so busy putting extraneous information in all structure flies out of the window. One particular line from Frederick Foster(?) haunts me: MI5 chaps are heading off to Finland to do something secret mission-stylee and are going to travel on separate flights, one says to the other "And what time will you arrive in Turku, Finland's second city?"
Yes, thanx for the info-check but, I mean, naff or what...
BMB, literary critic.
xx

akwarose

bigmamabadger said:
One particular line from Frederick Foster(?) haunts me: MI5 chaps are heading off to Finland to do something secret mission-stylee and are going to travel on separate flights, one says to the other "And what time will you arrive in Turku, Finland's second city?"
Yes, thanx for the info-check but, I mean, naff or what...
BMB, literary critic.
xx

LOL!!!!! i must read that!!! hehe. The DaVinci Code is a fantastic read!!*note to self: get it back off friend* when my dad said about it i thought oh no, a fuddy duddy complicated crap type book, but i really REALLY got into it!!!! tis gravy 8)

Okiedokie of Oz

Has anyone read the books about unearthing the secrets of the bibile? The Bible code, and the one about the locating of the Ark of the Covenant ??

Product tMP members are discussing