Bolsover 2012

Ash77

Melton 4th section played:

Gonna Fly Now (Conti arr Darrol Barry)
Greensleeves (arr Langford)
For Your Eyes Only (Conti arr Barry) Flugal Solo
Grandfather's Clock (George Doughty) Euph Solo, won soloist prize
Hey Jude - horn quartet (including flugal)

Not sure what the crack was with lack of a placing on the comments? We got 86 points (think Newhall said they got 83ish), so guess we came about 6th but not sure!

Really enjoyable day, but must be the most amount of natural reverb I've ever experienced in a hall!

kierendinno

Thoresby Colliery played:

Home of Legends
Concerto for Trumpet
O Magnum Mysterium
Nightingale Dances

Really enjoyed the day; well run contest.

lets not let this get out of control.
Ive known Graham and Stan for a long time. they have made their apologies to the relevant parties and admitted they made a mistake.
lets leave it be.
Going to a national press is a bit extreme.
Lets not go on another witch hunt.
mistakes have been made lets learn from them and move on

Ash77

So not one bit of coverage, results or even quite mention about the main Bolsover contest other than this? Good work yet again 4BR!

tubafran

The facilities and organisation of yesterday's contest were the best of the three different venues used for this contest - loads of parking next to halls, good cheap food and a decent selection - oh and a bar van outside away from playing halls. Warm up rooms provided one site, friendly registration volunteers, CD recording of all bands - what more would you want from an entertainments event?
One critism would be the sports hall used by 4th and 2nd sections - it was loud in there - stick with this venue for next year and maybe consider providing some curtains to kill the echo in that hall but guess its the same as many venues

kierendinno

lets not let this get out of control.
Ive known Graham and Stan for a long time. they have made their apologies to the relevant parties and admitted they made a mistake.
lets leave it be.
Going to a national press is a bit extreme.
Lets not go on another witch hunt.
mistakes have been made lets learn from them and move on

I think the council has a duty to enquire in to these matters further, but I agree, the speed at which the apology was made should remove some of the pressure from those concerned. It really was a poor judgement to have made though.

i agree with you Kieren,
the statement says the council are doing their own enquiries
Graham and stan will know they made a major error in judgement,
But some people will want to make more it than there is.
Brass dont need any more bad press

Anno Draconis

Indeed they don't. But you can hardly blame a media outlet for spreading it when it happens. It's fine to say "they apologised quickly" and "I've known them for years", and I personally have a lot of respect for the things Stan's done for banding, but this is a major, major error of judgement at best. Damn shame, because Bolsover is a good contest and seems to get better every year; the local council will quite possibly be running scared of it now.

Why is it that we're so bad at judging what's "entertaining"? For god's sake, it shouldn't be that difficult! And yes, I'm generalising...

kierendinno

I think we all did a great job of hopefully entertaining what were some decent audiences. Like others have said, it was a very well run contest

Last edited:
Blidworth 1st section winners

Home of Legends - plc
Rondo a la Turca - plc - xylophone solo - Aaron Curcher
Such Love -Paul Drury
Glorifico Aeturnam

Great day excellent results

Highest placed ex mining band - no trophy though, last years winners haven't returned it yet apparently.

Most entertaining band
Section winners

marc71178

So not one bit of coverage, results or even quite mention about the main Bolsover contest other than this? Good work yet again 4BR!

Unless they attend the contest (which in the main they don't do), they're relying on the information to be provided to them by organisers so that they can publish it. If nobody has as yet sent them the information, how is it their fault?

Ash77

Sunday must had had well over 1,000 people there and was an excellent day's banding with some exceptional performances. My point was primarily one of disappointment that the only coverage given to it from one of the only media sources we have is this. I take your point though - perhaps the contest organisers are more to blame for that, all they need is to send an email at the end of the day with the results and a couple of quotes from them and the adjudicators and 4BR have something to publish.

All4Brass

In 4BR's defence, we have also contacted the organisers (Monday morning) for a full list of results etc. and have so far, received no reply.

Ash77

Interesting seeing the scores on all4brass including a few deductions for some bands for either 0.5 or 1 point. Any idea if these are all time penalties, or can you get a deduction for other reasons? Can't see anything in the rules to say half point time penalties will apply - just says 1 point for every minute you are over.

tubafran

Interesting seeing the scores on all4brass including a few deductions for some bands for either 0.5 or 1 point. Any idea if these are all time penalties, or can you get a deduction for other reasons? Can't see anything in the rules to say half point time penalties will apply - just says 1 point for every minute you are over.

I don't think any of the bands were dropped a position because of the deductions

Product tMP members are discussing