Blow off steam.

JessopSmythe

Interesting fact for the day.

There are approximately 60 million people in the UK. BBC figures estimate that 20 million watched the match. 40 million, 2 thirds didn't

Even taking it as just the population of England (approx 50 million) the figure for those watching is less than half.

Why do the majority have to put up with football taking over everything? e.g. In one national paper yesterday the front page was filled with waffle about some insult aimed at Rooney, with the message "Full story, pages 2,3,4,5,7 and Sports Pages" at the bottom of the page. Does the rest of the world stop? What happened to the rest of the news?

JessopSmythe said:
Interesting fact for the day.

There are approximately 60 million people in the UK. BBC figures estimate that 20 million watched the match. 40 million, 2 thirds didn't

Even taking it as just the population of England (approx 50 million) the figure for those watching is less than half.

Why do the majority have to put up with football taking over everything? e.g. In one national paper yesterday the front page was filled with waffle about some insult aimed at Rooney, with the message "Full story, pages 2,3,4,5,7 and Sports Pages" at the bottom of the page. Does the rest of the world stop? What happened to the rest of the news?

I love this Guy!

groovy

:evil: Bloody football! It drives me UP THE WALL. I am glad England are out because I have had enough of the media and the fans being so conviced they are brilliant. You can find a million excuses for last night but lets face it - YOU PLAYED BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for the Sol Campbell *goal* - well if Portugal had scored that you would have been agreeing with the ref for sure.
Oh, and today is practically a national holiday in Scotland! Goalie scoring the winning penalty - class. Beckham chipping it about 3 miles above the bar - excellent TV.

akwarose

lol...... not a trombone player but i think that football sux.
i think its absolutely pathetic that people are emailing the ref and complaining!!! i mean, come on, he was doing his job!!! yeh u mite not agree with his decisions, but at the end of the day he did wot he thought was rite.
ugh... and i didnt se it, but was his hair that bad?

neiltwist

I don't see what good it's going to do anyway, what do you think the delete button is for? And will it change the result?

I don't mind footie, and supported england in the championships, but we didn't even deserve to get past the group stages!

that'll be a quintet then!

PeterBale

Staff member
JessopSmythe said:
I take your point, but you could say exactly the same about coverage of the royal family, Big Brother, so-called celebrities, or whatever seems to be "colour of the month" to the editors at the time. Many's the time I open a paper and skim through pages of rubbish before I find the news :twisted:

rutty

PeterBale said:
JessopSmythe said:
I take your point, but you could say exactly the same about coverage of the royal family, Big Brother, so-called celebrities, or whatever seems to be "colour of the month" to the editors at the time. Many's the time I open a paper and skim through pages of rubbish before I find the news :twisted:

This is true, and I also suspect that there are more people that care about football and want to read about that, than would really care what's happening in the real world. Like it or not the footy has a HUGE sales draw with the papers - so that's what they write about.

That's quite sad really.

Well Worth It

I'm going to address you football hating thread-jackers.

A/. It's a football thread. Don't like? Don't read. Don't post.

B/. International Sport is the ONLY thing that unifies our over-cosmipolitan nation.

C/. IF.....England had won......you would've rejoiced(sp?) with everyone else.

D/. Why do you feel that you have to make your point so vehemently ON EVERY THREAD?
I cannot stand egg-chasing, but when the World Cup was on, and it was rammed down MY throat, I didn't go thread-jacking. I simply didn't read the rugby threads.
Just bite your tongue and get on with your football-free lives.
Nobody is forcing you to read, post or care.

E/. We ought, as a nation, be proud of the game. We (supposedly) invented Football and now it's played in every single country in the world.
Perhaps one of the few remaining benevolencies that England has bestowed upon the globe....?

F/. Read A/. again.

lynchie

I read this morning about Sol Campbell still going on about his "goal"... if any international player honestly believes someone can put there arm around a goalkeeper, however little it really affects him, and get away with it, they are naive beyond belief... If the situation were reversed the England players would have been claiming it had been the worst foul since someone broke Gary Breen's leg... I can't believe people would actually email the ref to complain about his performance, because 1) I'm pretty sure he doesn't care what a bunch of English fans thought about him when their judgement is clearly biased, and 2) Uefa have had no reason to discipline him, or investigate his performance, or even make any sort of mention about the game... in fact he has still been officiating since then!

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Personally I'm getting sick of reading about this now. There must have been 4 or 5 double page articles in the papers over the weekend. Why don't we just accept that it was a poor decision, but if we'd played properly instead of like a bunch of schoolboys we wouldn't of needed Sol Cambell's "goal".

We lost, we're out, we were generally rubbish. So deal with it and MOVE ON!!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

rutty

I don't think we talk enough about sport in this forum. I like sport, hell I'd talk about Crown Green Bowling given half a chance.

It seems to me that most members of this board are obsessed with Brass bands. It's always "Black Dyke" this or "Brighouse" that, or talking about endless brass-related issues. Blimey, it's enough to drive a guy insane! :twisted: