Blame Dave Payn!

MoominDave

[Edit: Add clue lengths and also correct #14]

Seeing as he's been so generous with his anagrams (and also in appreciation for giving me something to do whilst ailing of the flu), I thought one or two of you might appreciate the following variably cryptic efforts on (almost) the same theme - National Finals test-pieces 1900-2003...

Makes surprisingly green with envy - finally achieves potential. (6)

Cook sly about Dre and Io. Why? He's the king! (2,3,1,2)

Gandalf on Shadowfax. (3,5,5)

The price of a dog's housing in Warks, we hear? (10)

Deity shows endless messy doings... (4)

Tony and Cherie? (6,3,4)

Lofty and leguminous thousand. (4,4)

Initally build largely incursive training Zeppelins - like German lightning. (5)

Inspect partner's position in game of strategy. (9)

Maybe, England sees answer in making HAL bionic. (6)

About right, then North. Following on, I add Virginia on the left for a celebration. ( 8 )

Confuse hinny; cause to replace 'yes' with 'true', then use as the basis for a deliberate attempt to alter the issue further. (10,2,1,5)

We hear about Monkey people - pubs that are about do not have Friday? (11)

Greek philosopher's comedy has the following cast: The newt, Sofa, Topless Christ, Bottomless Ophelia, and, shortly, Edward Scissorhands - but only, I repeat, shortly. (3,5,2,12)

For example, Penzance is surprisingly hot on torc achiness. (2,3,7,5)

Inspired by Terpsichore and Euterpe? (6,3,5)

Dave Payn

Indeed, Dave. I have a surname to live up (or rather, down) to after all!

I'll have a go at this later. Can't cheat with the anagram program.... :lol:

Accidental

Supporting Member
ohmygod they get worse - I'm rubbish at cryptic clues!
Can you at least tell us no. of words/letters pleeeeese?!

Maestro

MoominDave said:
Seeing as he's been so generous with his anagrams (and also in appreciation for giving me something to do whilst ailing of the flu), I thought one or two of you might appreciate the following variably cryptic efforts on (almost) the same theme - National Finals test-pieces 1900-2003...

Makes surprisingly green with envy - finally achieves potential.

Cook sly about Dre and Io. Why? He's the king Le Roi Dys

Gandalf on Shadowfax.

The price of a dog's housing in Warks, we hear?

Deity shows endless messy doings........Odin

Tony and Cherie?......Labour and Love

Lofty and leguminous thousand.

Initally build largely incursive training Zeppelins - like German lightning.

Inspect partner's position in game of strategy.

Maybe, England sees answer in making HAL bionic.

About right, then North. Following on, I add Virginia on the left for a celebration.

Confuse hinny; cause to replace 'yes' with 'true', then use as the basis for a deliberate attempt to alter the issue further.

We hear about Monkey people - pubs that are about do not have Friday?

Greek philosopher's comedy has the following cast: Newt, Sofa, Topless Christ, Bottomless Ophelia, and, shortly, Edward Scissorhands - but only, I repeat, shortly.

For example, Penzance is surprisingly hot on torc achiness.

Inspired by Terpsichore and Euterpe?

Hope these are right or I'm going to look more stupid than normal

MoominDave

Yep, all correct so far!

I didn't post numbers of letters because I thought that would make it too easy given that we've just done some of the same ones as anagrams...
Oh, go on then, I'll put them in - hang on a mo...

Dave

PeterBale

Staff member
MoominDave said:
[Edit: Add clue lengths and also correct #14]

Cook sly about Dre and Io. Why? He's the king! (2,3,1,2)

Gandalf on Shadowfax. (3,5,5)

The price of a dog's housing in Warks, we hear? (10). . .Kenilworth

Deity shows endless messy doings... (4)

Tony and Cherie? (6,3,4)

Lofty and leguminous thousand. (4,4). . . High Peak

Initally build largely incursive training Zeppelins - like German lightning. (5). . . Blitz
Inspect partner's position in game of strategy. (9). . .Checkmate
Maybe, England sees answer in making HAL bionic. (6) . . .AlbionAbout right, then North. Following on, I add Virginia on the left for a celebration. ( 8 )

Confuse hinny; cause to replace 'yes' with 'true', then use as the basis for a deliberate attempt to alter the issue further. (10,2,1,5) . . Variations on a NinthWe hear about Monkey people - pubs that are about do not have Friday? (11)

Greek philosopher's comedy has the following cast: The newt, Sofa, Topless Christ, Bottomless Ophelia, and, shortly, Edward Scissorhands - but only, I repeat, shortly. (3,5,2,12) . . The frogs of Aristophanes

For example, Penzance is surprisingly hot on torc achiness. (2,3,7,5). . .On the Cornish Coast

Accidental

Supporting Member
About right, then North. Following on, I add Virginia on the left for a celebration - Carnival
Inspired by Terpsichore and Euterpe? - Honour and Glory

phew!

bruceg

Accidental said:
About right, then North. Following on, I add Virginia on the left for a celebration - Carnival

About (C) right (R), then North (N). Following on, I (I) add Virginia (VA) on the left (L) for a celebration.

But where did the first A comes from in the clue given that circa usually yields only C (in the crosswords I do)? Just wondering in case my cryptic crossword days may be nearing an end :)

PeterBale

Staff member
bruceg said:
Accidental said:

About (C) right (R), then North (N). Following on, I (I) add Virginia (VA) on the left (L) for a celebration.

But where did the first A comes from in the clue given that circa usually yields only C (in the crosswords I do)? Just wondering in case my cryptic crossword days may be nearing an end :)
Crossword compilers use both "C" and "Ca" for "about", from the Latin word "circa" :wink:

MoominDave

Yes, I took "Ca" from Circa.

"Inspired by Terpsichore and Euterpe?" - isn't "Honour and Glory" - sorry!

So what have we got left?

We hear about Monkey people - pubs that are about do not have Friday? (11)

Accidental

Supporting Member
Serves me right for making wild guesses!
I suppose going through a list of all the test pieces since 1900 and just counting the letters would be cheating......

bruceg

PeterBale said:
Crossword compilers use both "C" and "Ca" for "about", from the Latin word "circa" :wink:

The Scotsman cryptic crossword tends to assume an abbreviation of c. for circa hence my somewhat anal reply :) Of course, "about" often results in "re" with "around" producing "c(a)" :D I'm going to shut up now...

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.