Black Dyke & ISB: Eric Ball Centenary Concert.

sparkling_quavers

What a fantastic concert!!! The star of the night definately had to be David Dawes. Hope Roger Webster is better soon!!

I have to say I was one that nearly jumped out of my seat at the exploding lightbulb.

Roger Thorne

sparkling_quavers said:
I have to say I was one that nearly jumped out of my seat at the exploding lightbulb.
It will be interesting to see if they can edit that out on the recording/video.
I suppose with all the modern technology about it probably won't cause them to many problems.

:wink:

satchmo shaz

it was good want it Rog and super sop? nice to meet you guys, thanks for coming down early to Notts for the charity gig!! :wink:

Apart from david daws who made me throw my cornet in the canal today!! the youg lass sop player from dyke was blinkin supendous!! :!: who is she? blimey o riley she was good!

can't forget our very own president of vice rich walker who guested for Dyke on bone !! well done mate we're proud on yer!! :wink:

Roger Thorne

satchmo shaz said:
Apart from david daws who made me throw my cornet in the canal today!! the youg lass sop player from dyke was blinkin supendous!! :!: who is she? blimey o riley she was good!
Michelle Ibbotson - Brilliant! did you notice her posture when playing.
She sits with a straight back and doesn't lean against the back of the chair! Good breathing techniques to be learnt there I think!
The lad in the photo below - Ben Rapp - is the lad who sat in for Roger Webster.

repsop.jpg

Seedhouse

Well the concert was absolutely amazing. For me Journey Into Freedom and Resurgam were the best. I think it will be interesting to see what they do on the DVD. They may be able to remove the lightbulb exploding, but it will be quite amusing to see everyone jump in their seats for what seems to be no apparent reason! :? :lol:
It was nice to see some tMPers if not talk to them.
I hope Nottingham gets more brass band concerts in larger venues such as the Concert Hall.
(apologies about the road system! Us Nottingham peeps have gotten used to it! :lol: )

stephen2001

Roger Thorne said:
Michelle Ibbotson - Brilliant! did you notice her posture when playing.
She sits with a straight back and doesn't lean against the back of the chair!

When I saw Dyke at the Open, I was surprised at the way she moved around in her chair a lot when playing!

Sound like I missed a good night tho :cry: but, it's not every day your Father and Auntie turn 50 :!:

stephen2001

Seedhouse said:
They may be able to remove the lightbulb exploding, but it will be quite amusing to see everyone jump in their seats for what seems to be no apparent reason!

From the sounds of things, I doubt they will be able to edit it out, especially in the middle of the band playing. It would require a very well thought out cut of the section where it happened if they are not going to keep it in.
(that from my basic knowledge of video editing :!: )

super_sop said:
:shock: ive only heard them live 3 times!! :oops:

I hope you are including being their 'warm-up' act at Denshaw as one of them!

Sorry for picking this one up late, but I'm only just catching up after being away for the weekend!

Janet

super_sop

Supporting Member
Janet Watkins said:
super_sop said:
:shock: ive only heard them live 3 times!! :oops:

I hope you are including being their 'warm-up' act at Denshaw as one of them!
Janet
But of course, and if i remember Cornetgirl and myself gave them a lesson in marching!!!! :lol:

WorldofBrass.com

Roger Thorne said:
sparkling_quavers said:
It will be interesting to see if they can edit that out on the recording/video.
I suppose with all the modern technology about it probably won't cause them to many problems.

We are so pleased that everyone enjoyed the concert. We were thrilled with the whole night and were so relieved that David Daws was able to rescue 'Clear Skies' for the programme. We owe him big time!
As far as editing out the lightbulb explosion is concerned, despite modern technology, this presents a major problem! The issues are that for the DVD/Video sound and vision and recorded simulaneously. When you edit something OUT, in order to preserve continuity in the music, you have to edit something else IN. We'll have to see what the teccies can do. There is a view that the explosion stays in as this was a recording of a live concert and not a studio recording. Those that were there will wonder what had happened to it!

The teccies were a seriously brave bunch as their van (outside the back of the concert hall) was at one point surrounded by hundreds of England football fans celebrating(?) a 0-0 draw! One of the fans had to be persuaded not to *edited-Mod* over the cables leading from the hall to the van while others decided it would be great fun to rock the van from side to side. This was all while the concert was going on! The crew battened down the hatches and hung on for dear life!

Our plans are to release a DVD and Video only although, if we feel there is a demand, we may do a CD as well. However, we are aware that a lot of Eric Ball music has been released on CD this year already so we don't want to do a CD just for the sake of it.
Our Mail Order people can take pre-orders for the DVD and Video now and we hope to have them ready for Christmas, but don't hold us to that.
I'll put the DVD and Video onto the website in the next week or two.

Keppler: The bleeper is watching...

Keppler

Staff member
zigactly... evil evil behaviour! tsk tsk..

back on topic please :twisted:
(that's twice now.. hehe)

jimothy

Mention has been made, and rightly so, of the fantastic David Daws stepping in t the last minute and playing Clear Skies in place of Roger Webster. Mention has also been made of Ben Rapp standing in for Roger as top man with the Dyke. Nobody has made mention of yet of the vastly experienced young chap who stood in for Ben on repiano. Let me set the record straight and mention him now, what a sterling performance it was! well played matey!!!

craigster

review

Can someone provide some "meaty" details for those of us in the colonies who could not be there in person ie. who played what, highlights, lowlights, opinions of Kevin Ashman as new ISB principal, was an evening of all Eric Ball music really heavy for the audience etc.?

Would have loved to be there, but as I came over for the National Championships last year (unbelievable experience!) and then again for a funeral in June my poor Canadian currency refused to cooperate!

Regards,

Craig Lewis
Canadian Staff Band