Black Dyke be Worrisome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eanto

Black Dyke be worrisome

No, I don't think so. Nor Grimey, nor Brighouse, nor Cory, nor Fodens, nor Faireys, nor YBS for that matter.

I'm not so sure.....

If the Army made it a priority to compete at high profile contests, say for PR purposes who could really match them?

Massive pool of talented players PERMANENTLY available
Fantasic facilities
Full-time rehearsals
No expenses or overtime payments required
No band politics!

Makes me wonder.....

DobX Dave

They were invited to conduct 'top' bands - these are bands whose players can perform to their best whoever stands in front of them. Lets see if military conductors can take bands from lower sections to the top - can you name one military conductor who has done that?

The only person that I can remember is Frank Renton who as Musician Renton in the Horse Guards (not sure if Blues & Royals or Life Guards) ~ at that time (1965) he conducted Guildford Silver ~ taking the band from the Fourth Section to the Championship Section in five years, only to be awarded 3rd place in 1970 Areas on The Corsair ~ this being the first year that only two bands qualified for the RAH ~ shortly afterwards the band folded.

So Frank, yes, did start at the very bottom and did go through the sections in five years. The rest is history ~ concluding (brass band wise) with a National win with Grimethorpe.

But yes, I do take your point ~ most are invited because of their track record as military conductors ~ and because they can afford them !

So to reply to a previous post by 'WagtheStick' ~ bide your time ~ top bands will come to you eventually.

DobX Dave

Point taken above.
The Warwickshire Band is a military band consisting of ex members of 5th RRF.When SDR came,as with most cuts in the forces,the band was disbanded,but there were and still are a few dedicated musicians wanted to keep the band going.We are allowed to wear the uniform of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and play at a number of Regimental functions throughout the West Midlands.This has been granted by the Regiment and from Regimental HQ at the Tower of London.
So in reality,we are a military band,but civilians in uniform.Most of us are ex military.As you said,cut backs have caused a lot of line bands to go to the wall.I can remember when each Battalion had a band.Now we are lucky to have a divisional band.Unlike the Household Division.
CubbRep.:tup

Thank you for the feed back ~ hope it all goes well.

zak

Who could really match them???? hmmmmm.... let me think, at least 8 bands of the top of my head without really thinking about it. ;)

Don't you think the top top bands have a pool of very talented players? Fantastic facilities/more rehearsals are ok but without the fantastic players it don't make a great band!!!

Regards

I'm not so sure.....

If the Army made it a priority to compete at high profile contests, say for PR purposes who could really match them?

Fantasic facilities
Full-time rehearsals
No band politics!

Makes me wonder.....

DobX Dave

I'm not so sure.....

Fantasic facilities
Full-time rehearsals
No band politics!

Makes me wonder.....

Only way that would work is that all the band players were musicians (privates) ~ for example ~ I remember, the Coldstream Guards had the Band Sergeant Major on top cornet ~ only for Mus. Ben Godfrey who I believe sat number five doing most of the awkward solo parts.

So there is politics in military bands as well ~ only it is called rank.

eanto

Who could really match them???? hmmmmm.... let me think, at least 8 bands of the top of my head without really thinking about it. ;)

Don't you think the top top bands have a pool of very talented players? Fantastic facilities/more rehearsals are ok but without the fantastic players it don't make a great band!!!

Regards

I agree, you cann't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

I still reckon people underestimate the ability of the MOD's musician populas. All of them have to excel on at least two different instruments. I cann't even play one!! As good as Grimey & Co are, they do have day jobs...

johnmartin

The MOD can't even supply proper equipment to the boys on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan what makes you think they give a stuff for military bands. The bean counters at the MOD will have them top of their list for the next round of spending cuts.

eanto

The MOD can't even supply proper equipment to the boys on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan what makes you think they give a stuff for military bands. The bean counters at the MOD will have them top of their list for the next round of spending cuts.

I've recently done over 20 years in the military - I know where you're coming from! The bean counters, fortunately, do not diminish the excellence and professionalism of serving personnel with a can-do attitude!

However, loyalty is reciprocal, how long can this last...?

zak

I agree, you cann't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

I still reckon people underestimate the ability of the MOD's musician populas. All of them have to excel on at least two different instruments. I cann't even play one!! As good as Grimey & Co are, they do have day jobs...

Doesn't the fact that they do have other day jobs perhaps make you realize just how more talented they are than full-time musicians????? ;)

Playing 2 instruments does not make them better musicians by the way. Sorry but I think the army band would be nowhere near the top top bands as it stands.

Regards

WagTheStick

Slightly off subject ~ why is the new Armed Forces Memorial not having a military band there to perform ?

Cut backs I presume the answer to be ~ but, after all it is new (I believe) and 'one' would have expected that at least a 'line' band could have done the engagement (as most of the Guards Bands will be in London)

Footnote: I think you were the principal cornet and not principle.

Band of the Parachute Regiment were in attendance when the Queen opened it alongside Fanfare Tpts from the RAF and Bugles from the Royal Marines.

Today is the busiest day of the year for all military bands as you might expect. TA and voluntary bands take their share of the work but unfortunately we can't be everywhere.

Last edited:

WagTheStick

Only way that would work is that all the band players were musicians (privates) ~ for example ~ I remember, the Coldstream Guards had the Band Sergeant Major on top cornet ~ only for Mus. Ben Godfrey who I believe sat number five doing most of the awkward solo parts.

So there is politics in military bands as well ~ only it is called rank.

I disagree!
BABB cornet section rank structure at Pontins
Sop - LSgt
P Corn - Cpl
F Row - Cpl, LCpl, Musn, WO1
Rep - WO1
2nd Corn - WO1, LCpl
3rd Corn - WO1, Musn

PS - Ben never sat No 5 at the Coldstream

toby hobson

Band of the Parachute Regiment were in attendance when the Queen opened it alongside Fanfare Tpts from the RAF and Bugles from the Royal Marines.

now that I would pay to see..parachuting musicians........spectacular. mind you, I wouldnt fancy being the timp player!!!!!!!!!!

toby hobson

so true.. the trouble the forces have is when those annoying things called wars come along, they have to eke out there meager budgets, obviously the chauffeur driven cars cant go for the top brass, so the money has to be got from else where. When there isnt a war on, it strikes me the military is a good life, well funded and a bit of a doss.

so true.. the trouble the forces have is when those annoying things called wars come along, they have to eke out there meager budgets, obviously the chauffeur driven cars cant go for the top brass, so the money has to be got from else where. When there isnt a war on, it strikes me the military is a good life, well funded and a bit of a doss.

Not sure this is fair. Whatever the faults of the Forces "top brass" you have knowledge of (I really don't know one way or another), our troops don't deserve anything other complete respect.

The way I see it, there are people fighting wars in far away places to make our lives safer and many have perished trying to make our lives safer.

I'm not sure that these people will find it "...a bit of a doss."

I think they deserve a lot more respect than posts such as this, especially on today of all days.

Anno Draconis

I think they deserve a lot more respect than posts such as this, especially on today of all days.

:clap:

This is an odd thread. Why on earth would the Army want its band to waste time contesting? How much publicity and kudos would be available to the BABB if it were to enter and win, for example, the Open?

Answer: The same as any other band; none, outside the banding goldfish bowl. So, to achieve a small amount of recognition from a group of interested cognoscenti the BABB has to spend weeks of publicly funded rehearsal time note-bashing and rehearsing a piece that isn't going to be used at any other engagement. Not gonna happen.

And that assumes that they would automatically win if they entered, which I don't accept anyway.

toby hobson

Not sure this is fair. Whatever the faults of the Forces "top brass" you have knowledge of (I really don't know one way or another), our troops don't deserve anything other complete respect.

The way I see it, there are people fighting wars in far away places to make our lives safer and many have perished trying to make our lives safer.

Yeah, like I said, "when there's not a war on" the forces strike me as a bit of a doss.
I would also have to ask which war we as a country have been involved in since 1945, has been fought to make our lives safer!!! I have nothing but respect for anyone who while following orders puts his life on the line, however I would have sever reservations as to the political reasoning behind such conflicts as the Falklands, Gulf One and Two, Korea, Suez even Vietnam!!! To be honest the list is endless. Maybe this day above all others is the exact time to ask such a question, when the futility, expense and down right disgrace of said conflicts is so apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Product tMP members are discussing